Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 21.06.2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

marc wrote:
Quote:
"let us know which store it is, i'll send somebody by to fix their installation. this type of bad advertisement is counterproductive for everybody.

best, marc"
Now that's a great example of Access's awesome technical support, no doubt the best in the industry! Who else has added new functionality (Thank you for the Moog filters!) to discontinued product lines other than Access? I can't think of another manufacturer that has.

I've asked about a dozen questions of the Access technical support staff over the past 4 years and always been given a useful/accurate answer in a reasonable amount of time, usually a day or so (I'm in EST time zone, whcih is GMT +7 Hrs. I think).

Yamaha's tech support is also good, but not nearly as fast as Access, in my own experience, probably twice as many questions to them (half of them pre-sales, half "actual" technical support) and the average turn around time is 3-4 days for them, maybe longer.

Although I love Mackie products to death, their e-mail tech support is non-existent. But, if you call and navigate through their AVRS then you do get a helpful, live person, which I appreciate in its own right.

Clavia's tech support is very lacking in my recent experience. No returns on e-mail, and I did not receive a reply from their forum when I tried to register to ask a few questions about my recently purchased NL2. Maybe they respond to their NordWave customers, who knows. BTW, The forums at electromusic.com are AWESOME (thank you Wout and Blue Hell!) and if you ever buy a Clavia product then definitely go there.

THANK YOU ACCESS TECH SUPPORT!!!
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 22.06.2008, 12:16 AM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

being new to synths, and in the market for a virus... im curious which would better suit me. a C desktop, or a snow. im a pretty big fan of this TI business.... from what ive seen (my obsession with software runs deep)... but the lack of knobs on the snow worries me..,, i think, being new, id be better off with more knobs... does the TI aspect make up for the lack of on-board knobs and buttons? or would the C be better? obviously the TI desktop would be my best bet but... its a little over my budget

basically my main concern is which one would be easier to use overall..

Last edited by myfilthyheart : 22.06.2008 at 01:30 AM.
Old 22.06.2008, 11:03 AM
New here
New here

Hi Marc,
on Saturday I was there at the store again to get some Guitar gear, I'm Guitarist mainly. Regarding to this discussion I took some ten minutes to check the Virus setup again, and this time I didn't experienced any problems (except for occasional very short noises from unknown source). I asked the same guy as before, and he told me, that they successfully exchanged the MIDI-hub and cables, they used earlier. I was wondering, how the MIDI setup could produce such specific problems, but obviously it disappeared then. Maybe the fact, that some other gear had been connected to the hub before may have caused conflicts.

And yes, the Snow delivers some wonderful sound, although it is definitely too expensive for me at the moment. If I hadn't been able to get a Virus B in best condition, and if there wasn't a market for used Viruses generally, I probably would go for a new Virus rather than something else.

Regards
Arndt

Last edited by Arndt : 25.06.2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 22.06.2008, 04:20 PM
New here
New here

Hello all,

thanks for all your replies.
Now i have bought an Virus C.
My Question is now, what do i need all for using it on my Audiophile 2496.
from the virus to the audiophile, do i need there an amp. in the middle ?

Thanks in advantage

Last edited by acc : 22.06.2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 22.06.2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc View Post
Hello all,

thanks for all your replies.
Now i have bought an Virus C.
My Question is now, what do i need all for using it on my Audiophile 2496.
from the virus to the audiophile, do i need there an amp. in the middle ?

Thanks in advantage
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I setup my DAW/Virus KC/2496 years ago:

To connect your Virus C to your M-Audiophile 2496 you need:

(1) At least 4 RCA->TRS cables (two for audio in (R/L), two for audio out (R/L)) like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-6ft-COLOR-1-4-...cmdZVi ewItem

(I bought some from this guy to connect my Delta 1010LT to my synths, they work great.)

(2) If you wish to send more than the audio output of the Virus C to your 2496, then you need a hardware mixer (2 bus or greater with an AUX bus to send the signal to the soundcard); and then you can route whatever is plugged into the mixer to the 2496 up to 2 tracks at a time. Check out the diagram below:

(3) You will need to route your audio from the mixer (regardless if it's from the PC/Mac sequencer or your Virus C) to a pair of nearfield monitor speakers. If you don't have nearfields you can use Hi-Fidelity speakers and your receiver (considering the 2496 does have RCA audio outs, this is easy to route) but be sure to set the receiver to a "FLAT" frequency response if you can, don't use any tricky DSP settings like "Concert Hall" or "Jazz Club."

(4) If you don't have a hardware mixer I guess you can connect the 2496 audio outputs directly to your nearfield monitors with the appropriate cables, but you will not have a physical volume control knob (unless you are using the receiver/HiFi speaker approach), you will have to adjust the volume from the sequencer, so be careful and don't blow your speakers.

I think that's it.

-Alex

P.S. Here's a great article on possible different configurations of home recording rigs.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 25.06.2008, 10:21 PM
New here
New here

Thank you AlexHall74 for your reply !
Old 26.06.2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by acc View Post
Thank you AlexHall74 for your reply !
No problem, acc! Give me a shout if you have any issues wsith connectivity. Also, that Tweakheadz.com site is a GEM of knowledge. Check out "Tweak's Guide" as it is a series of very readable and informative articles on home recording.

Ciao,

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 28.06.2008, 01:01 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Odd comment about about TI vs B/C not addingh much - erm the TI adds a vast new sonic palette over the B and C.

B is VA + some fx, C is VA another filter and more fx options
TI OS 1.0 added hypersaw (C should really have had this oh well...), unrestricted combos of fx, proper sweepable wavetables
OS 2.x then adds PWM wavetables - basically adds fat ass wave table sounds to the wavetables in OS1
Then add the various granular modes and your in a completely new synthesiser sound wise - atomizer still hasnt quite fittted in for me yet, though very cool.

The one downer was loosing some fx routing options - bring back the aux bus!!

On the total integration - TBH what that adds to sound editing and patch management just makes everything else a complete pain in the backside to use by comparison. and then there little things like not having to worry about calibrating audio/midi alignments according to what mood everything is in on a given day and whether or not im using arps/seq mods etc.

I have a few issues with some design choices of course, but there are huge benefits overall and wouldnt be without it.
Old 04.07.2008, 03:20 PM
New here
New here

Hi !

so, if i have understood all right,
its like this way, the simplest without any other :

no need to amplify the signal from the virus-c with another hardware ?

thanks 'n greets
acc
Old 10.07.2008, 12:10 PM
New here
New here

hi !

today i got my virus, iv'e connected it like the pic above, and it works -
no need to amplify it

now i must look, how i can use all OUTs of the virus.
i was thinking of an mixer, where i can put in my microphone,
headphone and all 3 outs of the virus, maybe keyboard too.

best greets
acc