Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 03.05.2013, 05:48 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Do you have the real thing, in hardware? Or former Duende plug-ins from SSL themselves? Or Waves Audio?

I have the later but haven't compared them yet. Will be interesting to A/B them since they're based on the same circuit. But I have the feeling this new one is a winner!

Only used it as a Bus Compressor so far, with gentle settings to bring the elements closer together on Drums, and even gentler on Kick and Bass. This is entirely subjective of course, but I've used this plenty and I think this one does work better.

While I can't be to sure about the compressor, I'm pretty damn sure the EQ is amazing! I don't usually boost frequencies with digital EQs, only started doing it with good emulations of analog circuitry, and with gentle settings, something like +3dB at most. That's like saying, if I'm boosting I want it to sound musical and without sacrificing the harmonic balance of the sound in a way that just feels... well, like digital mud. There's a couple of them out there now that work very well for this: and this one imprints some really juicy character on the sound. Also tried it on Bass Instrument's group, a slight boost around 80-100Hz. Sounds very nice to me, doesn't produce any sort of artifact or annoying latencies (which demanding algorithms sometimes do). Solid as a rock and sounding more like it's out of some high end studio to my ears!

This is the kind of stuff you'd get with very expensive dedicated DSP cards only a few years ago, I think... Ok, rant over guys
No not the real thing (although I have been lucky enough to mess around with a big SSL board) but yes the Duende from SSL, I started with the box then went with the native when that became redundant. Listening to the new stuff it's really hard to call any significant differencies, at least to my pagan ears. It is all very subjective though & a lot depends on what you are putting through it. But yeah I agree, would have cost a bundle a few years ago, I know cos I spent it Lol!
Old 03.05.2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
anxious to get started creating Balinese Gamelan Trance!
Yes been playing around with that plugin myself...would be interesting to see what u can come up with, don't be shy
Old 03.05.2013, 02:59 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Yes been playing around with that plugin myself...would be interesting to see what u can come up with, don't be shy
I was goofing with "Balinese Gamelan Trance" of course, but I really do love ethnic instruments and now that I've got a pretty amazing set of samples, I may be scratching a very old new-agey kind of itch I've had for a while.

Discovered a problem with my primary MIDI controller shortly after getting Komplete installed though, which I have a feeling is going to push my gear acquisition syndrome budget even further. I'm going to cover a request for suggestions in a different thread.
Old 03.05.2013, 10:34 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
I was goofing with "Balinese Gamelan Trance" of course, but I really do love ethnic instruments and now that I've got a pretty amazing set of samples, I may be scratching a very old new-agey kind of itch I've had for a while.

Discovered a problem with my primary MIDI controller shortly after getting Komplete installed though, which I have a feeling is going to push my gear acquisition syndrome budget even further. I'm going to cover a request for suggestions in a different thread.
Oh I don't know, I think Balinese Gamelan Trance could be a whole new breath of life that Trance so desperately needs
Old 03.05.2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Oh I don't know, I think Balinese Gamelan Trance could be a whole new breath of life that Trance so desperately needs
The Balinese are already innovating here and two steps ahead of you and I. I'm told this whole "grab a shiv and poke yourself" trend is kind of like the new moshpit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=j4jjWUKLBHI
Old 04.05.2013, 12:01 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I'm the breath of life Trance desperately needs LOL
Old 04.05.2013, 12:30 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
The Balinese are already innovating here and two steps ahead of you and I. I'm told this whole "grab a shiv and poke yourself" trend is kind of like the new moshpit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=j4jjWUKLBHI
What a bunch of non musical dick heads...cmon man we are more evolved than that hopefully
Old 04.05.2013, 12:32 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
I'm the breath of life Trance desperately needs LOL
Well then lets hear it...been wondering for some time
Old 05.05.2013, 01:21 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Well then lets hear it...been wondering for some time
What? It was just the name of a patch dude!

Be a little patient, my mac is on repair right now. The glass of the monitor got smashed, so it's getting a new one plus some inner cleaning (while I'm at it) and a new disk as well. After moving from Spain to this country with all my life in boxes, this had to happen to delay things even more. Will be back in action pretty soon, and I'll through some tunes for you guys to listen then.
Old 05.05.2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
What? It was just the name of a patch dude!

Be a little patient, my mac is on repair right now. The glass of the monitor got smashed, so it's getting a new one plus some inner cleaning (while I'm at it) and a new disk as well. After moving from Spain to this country with all my life in boxes, this had to happen to delay things even more. Will be back in action pretty soon, and I'll through some tunes for you guys to listen then.
Not down on Macs at all, I own one and earn some of my keep off iOS development, but all I can say is I'm so damn thankful I don't have to send my computers off when something goes wrong! I just crack open the box and replace a part if it's broken, or upgrade it on the cheap if I want something faster (I guess I would if something happens with my Mac Mini, but if it went tits-up during a development cycle I would have to replace it immediately and before receiving the repaired unit anyway). That's my fundamental problem with letting Apple be the keeper of my music platform.

As far as sharing music - I say share it if you want to but it's not necessarily the end game or goal for everyone. As a hobbyist, I enjoy the process of individual sound design and learning the quirks/limits/abilities of a given synth or tool as much as I enjoy creating music. I don't think I've completed a full track since maybe 2009 or so. If I haven't put something like 30 hours of work into a track, I don't consider it close to complete. And even then I have no real motivation to share; one reason I gave up on the idea of being a stage musician is because I just don't have that fundamental craving for attention it requires to do it well. I'd prefer to be the man behind the curtain so to speak. Ever wonder what my moniker stands for?

I have a friend who is a very successful and talented producer, and sometimes I let him listen to my stuff because his advice means something in particular to me; his tracks are some of the most well-mixed stuff I've ever heard come out of a home studio. I no longer have the hearing of a 10 year old boy and I'm quite aware of the value of outside input, but at a very basic level, I would only care about that outside input if I were truly seeking the approval of others. And with the exception of that one friend, I have no real interest in approval from others. Besides, there are plenty of forums dedicated for music sharing and critiquing out there. That's not to say I wouldn't listen if you posted it, it just means please don't be offended if I don't get around to listening