Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 31.01.2006, 05:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Loops

I've always programmed my own drums and find it easier to mix and apply effects and so on to each individual drum hit. Recently though I have been playing around with some loops and thinking about incorporating them into my sound. Though right now i'm thinking that I will loose much of that control over mixing/effecting with loops rather than individual hits and that it may not work out so great.

Whats your take on this, and how do you yourself incoporate drumloops into your mixes?

Cheers
Old 31.01.2006, 06:47 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

With loads of EQ!

I find the best use of drum loops to be fast percussiony loops where I can use certain frequencies to add some pace to my own percussion.

Hats and Bongos with sticks and claps. That kind of stuff. Stick a fast delay on it and just ease it into the drum buss, hey presto instant pace and roll...

As for the loop itself, almost anything that is not perfectly quantised seems to work for me...

Drammy
Old 31.01.2006, 07:20 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i guess it depends what style of music you produce.
Old 31.01.2006, 07:59 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I hear you Drammy

I prefer good loops without Kick Drums, or at least a light Kick drum.. not always possible though.

Stuff I write is mostly Dance orientated, Dance music in its many flavours and sub styles. I also focus on Tribal and Medatative music too.
Old 31.01.2006, 08:51 PM

I use loops for my drums sometimes. Programming drums is my weakpoint, so I turn to whatever help i can get.
Old 31.01.2006, 09:03 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul
Default Re: Loops

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvisibl
I've always programmed my own drums and find it easier to mix and apply effects and so on to each individual drum hit. Recently though I have been playing around with some loops and thinking about incorporating them into my sound. Though right now i'm thinking that I will loose much of that control over mixing/effecting with loops rather than individual hits and that it may not work out so great.

Whats your take on this, and how do you yourself incoporate drumloops into your mixes?

Cheers

It depends what tool your using. Reason v3 is ideal for this as you can set up a step sequencer to drive CV to EQ and other fx and so redically change the loop, or just do subtle stuff like panning different sounds from a mono loop, and gating in reverb onto a specific snare hit for eg.

Im from your school of drum mixing (from mixing up drum kits ages ago) - processing each drum sound separately into separate tracks. This is another reason I tend to do my drums mostly in Reason as its easy to apply this level of control.

The biggest problem I find with loops is that they are usually processed and squashed to hell to the point of being more or less dead - can take quite a bit of work to breath life back into them.
Old 01.02.2006, 02:14 AM

I never use complete loops for my music. I like to chop them to bits and layer from there to build new kits. Gives more variation and control at the recording stage. Also being able to play the individual sounds where you want is a must.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 01.02.2006, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
I never use complete loops for my music. I like to chop them to bits and layer from there to build new kits. Gives more variation and control at the recording stage. Also being able to play the individual sounds where you want is a must.
Thats the way to go... Again, HC nails it!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 02.02.2006, 12:10 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Thanks guys, yeah Khazul - I hear Reason is good for such. I'm put off a little though with the thought of adding yet another application or editor to work things out on. Seems to be taking me longer and longer to get the creations down into the sequencer these days

Quote:
Hollowcell wrote:

Thats the way to go... Again, HC nails it!
Yeah, thats sort of the way i've been working all along (see first post up top). Now toying with the idea of using full loops in some instances most probably backed up with my own other percussion elements, wondered how others here may be dealing with drum loops from a mixing perspective, EQ, applying FX etc.. i'm of general noobiness in this area right now.

Cheers all
Old 02.02.2006, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowcell
wondered how others here may be dealing with drum loops from a mixing perspective, EQ, applying FX etc.. i'm of general noobiness in this area right now.

Cheers all
Experimentation my friend. Seriously htough, I like to layer 2 to 3 of the same loops with different eqing, delays, and panning. Good luck!