Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 06.10.2005, 11:21 PM

Default some doubts about TI, usb, etc...

Well I'll explain my worries and doubts about the TI's Total Integration features.

I bought an Indigo some months ago and I love it, but after 2 years only working with vst synths and never having played a hardware synth before, all the issues regarding audio recording and patch management etc are a bit uncomfortable to me.

Now TI seems to be exactly what I need, a hardware synth that acts as a vst, so my intention is to sell my Indigo and buy a TI in a year or so.

BUT now come my doubts, maybe you TI users may solve them. But please forgive my ignorance.

You connect the TI via USB and that way you obtain 2 stereo outputs, right?

what about latency? is it high? I've read someqhere that USB1 doesn't work properly with audio and that latency is too high. is it right with the TI? please info is highly welcome.

now, PDC. My current host sequencer does not have PDC. Does it mean I'll have problems when recording my TI?

and a 3rd question: those tracks I may compose using the USB outputs, do they need to be rendered to wav before rendering the whole song? or do they act as any other vst track?

thanks for your patience.

You can listen to some of my humble music here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=218341
Old 07.10.2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: some doubts about TI, usb, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origami
Well I'll explain my worries and doubts about the TI's Total Integration features.

I bought an Indigo some months ago and I love it, but after 2 years only working with vst synths and never having played a hardware synth before, all the issues regarding audio recording and patch management etc are a bit uncomfortable to me.
The recording and patch management issues are the reason we developed the Virus Control and Total Integration feature. The Virus TI does behave in nearly all belongings like a native VST.

Quote:
Now TI seems to be exactly what I need, a hardware synth that acts as a vst, so my intention is to sell my Indigo and buy a TI in a year or so.

BUT now come my doubts, maybe you TI users may solve them. But please forgive my ignorance.

You connect the TI via USB and that way you obtain 2 stereo outputs, right?
When you conntect the TI via USB you have an ASIO Soundcard with 1 stereo in/out. The Virus Control provides 2 stereo channels to the sequencer application.

Quote:
what about latency? is it high? I've read someqhere that USB1 doesn't work properly with audio and that latency is too high. is it right with the TI? please info is highly welcome.
The latency depends on the setting in the ASIO panel. A lower latency resolves in higher cpu usage.

USB 1.1 works properly with audio, but of course there are issues like bandwidth limitations, faulty configurations and even chipset/driver bugs. The latency is not higher than other interfaces.

Quote:
now, PDC. My current host sequencer does not have PDC. Does it mean I'll have problems when recording my TI?
Not at all, but you will have a bit of latency of course then. The MIDI timing is still sample accurate then, but you have to manage the latency manually.

You could also reduce the latency if you use an external mixer by using the analog outputs in the virus.

Quote:
and a 3rd question: those tracks I may compose using the USB outputs, do they need to be rendered to wav before rendering the whole song? or do they act as any other vst track?
They do act as another vst track, but if you do a mixdown, you should be sure you do a "realtime export" because the virus is of course still a hardware that can not produce its sound faster or slower, like a native plugin might do it.

tk
Old 07.10.2005, 09:08 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Hey
question?
i have sound card with direct wire future so i can record any vst's without makin export just solo both chanels midi audio and record...
so if i connect the virus from the usb to my pc it work same as conect it thrue midi cable ?couse i dont have midi inputs outputs in my card?
i mean can i use the usb as midi?
Old 07.10.2005, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnikov_project
Hey
question?
i have sound card with direct wire future so i can record any vst's without makin export just solo both chanels midi audio and record...
so if i connect the virus from the usb to my pc it work same as conect it thrue midi cable ?couse i dont have midi inputs outputs in my card?
i mean can i use the usb as midi?
Hey answer

I answered another question, but the answer should help:
http://www.sunesha.nu/virusforum/vie...=4156&start=45

tk
Old 07.10.2005, 11:16 AM

tk, thanks a lot!

You can listen to some of my humble music here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=218341
Old 07.10.2005, 03:46 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk

Quote:
They do act as another vst track, but if you do a mixdown, you should be sure you do a "realtime export" because the virus is of course still a hardware that can not produce its sound faster or slower, like a native plugin might do it.

tk

wait, wait, wait.

so are you saying that a virus ti won't respond to your basic freeze command from just about any host sequencer today? that the only way to get audio out of it is realtime? that we're still stuck with realtime bouncing in our workflow if we want to use the ti? if so, the 't' in 'ti' would seem a little overstated. EDIT: i am still on the fence, but that would be a deal breaker--even more than usb1.1.
Old 07.10.2005, 11:03 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

oh it was to much complicated englesh for me and i dont get it so well

midi synth and all the other stuff
all i askin is if i connect it from usb and not using any midi cables at all only 1 usb from virus to pc !!!
will it work in cubase as vst and all other functions.......????
Old 07.10.2005, 11:25 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by melnikov_project
oh it was to much complicated englesh for me and i dont get it so well

midi synth and all the other stuff
all i askin is if i connect it from usb and not using any midi cables at all only 1 usb from virus to pc !!!
will it work in cubase as vst and all other functions.......????
Yes m8.....if u use the USB....it negates the use of ur midi ports. Actually....does anyone here use the USB and midi ports at the same time? What would the benifit of that be anyway?

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 08.10.2005, 03:30 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo1515
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk

Quote:

tk

wait, wait, wait.

so are you saying that a virus ti won't respond to your basic freeze command from just about any host sequencer today? that the only way to get audio out of it is realtime? that we're still stuck with realtime bouncing in our workflow if we want to use the ti? if so, the 't' in 'ti' would seem a little overstated. EDIT: i am still on the fence, but that would be a deal breaker--even more than usb1.1.
mongo -

the virus doesn't support offline bouncing. this might surprise you but is a common limitation of DSP systems. even digidesign protools, which without question is a pro system, does not support to bounce audio faster than realtime.

but don't forget, once you use outboard equipment like another MIDI synth or multi effect, you can't offline bouce the mix anyway...

i guess most people have to bouce a lot because their PCs run out of steam. see, that's exactly why there is products like the TI - they free up resources in your PC and make all that unconvenient track freezing/bouncing less neccessary

i agree with you that it would be nice though.

marc
Old 08.10.2005, 05:48 PM
New here
New here

marc,

thanks for the reply; was unaware of this aspect of DSP systems--d'oh!

and sorry to all for the momentary hijack.

still love the sound of the ti--still on the fence.