Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 23.10.2003, 12:09 AM
New here
New here

Native Instruments Reaktor Sessions. NI have produced some innovative software. Reaktor (the full version) is a fully modular soft synth platform which allows the design of virtual sound processors (synths, fx, etc.) from basic building blocks - filters, oscillators, grainclouds and so on.

I've got neither the time, patience nor inclination to configure my own synths in Reaktor, so I got Reaktor Sessions which is basically the Reaktor sound engine with a library of ready-built synths and other 'ensembles' for quite a lot less money. You also get access to the online user library which has over 1000 ensembles.

The ensembles range from straight emulations of well known synths to sequencers and sample choppers and to the more esoteric such as granular synthesis devices and the like. The sound quality, though obviously dependant upon the soundcard used, is exellent, and much improved on earlier versions. I often get lost in it for hours.

NI's customer support, though, is somewhat lacking - it took them over a week to reply to an email and judging by the user forum this isn't unusual. I bought the precursor to Sessions, Dynamo, and was a little unhappy at the upgrade price, but I'm glad I shelled out for it now.

Reaktor has quite a fan base as does a lot of NI stuff. There was favourable review in Sound on Sound recently which is worth reading for more detail.