Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 12.09.2003, 07:57 AM
Pro
Pro

Default Anyone used a Jomox XBase?

Has anyone used one of these, they seem pretty popular. Their users seem to be happy, but I've seen a dodgy review of it in "Future Music".
Old 12.09.2003, 09:56 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Default Re: Anyone used a Jomox XBase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag
I've seen a dodgy review of it in "Future Music".
Future Music = Good reviews <=> Untrue
Future Music < Good reviews <=> True
Keyboard = Good reviews <=> True
=> Future Music < Keyboard = Good reviews []
Old 12.09.2003, 10:39 AM
Pro
Pro

eh?
Old 12.09.2003, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag
eh? :?
Only dumb/ignorant would trust Future Music reviews.
Completely unreliable magazine. It seems that they give high rating for even grooveboxes and other rubbish.

Check Keyboard for reliable reviews. They have atleast over 20 years of experience.
Old 12.09.2003, 01:14 PM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Send a message via MSN to Machinegunjoe

I prefer Sound on Sound magasine.
Old 12.09.2003, 01:21 PM
Pro
Pro

Thanks for the advice. I must admit I was a bit confused when I saw them give the Jomox Xbase the same rating (79%) as Steinberg BBox software the latter, which IMO is absolute dog eggs. I'm starting to find that online forums / reviews by individuals are much more reliable.
Old 12.09.2003, 04:28 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I find that Future Music is a load of crap. It's like MTV. You get loads of crap. If it takes more than three pages to write about, it's crap to them. They gave the yamaha rmx1? a higher rating than an mpc2000. They said the mpc2000 was hard to figure out.

The mpc took me a few days to figure out how to sequence though.
Old 12.09.2003, 08:57 PM
Veteran
Veteran

i wouldnt completely trust forums and individual reviews either...take everything u read with a grain of salt and only when multipule "sources" come up with a similar answer, only then u will know your answer...

peace
Blank
Old 12.09.2003, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
i wouldnt completely trust forums and individual reviews either
Unless you know the background of the reviewer. For example if the reviewer is experienced producer with years of musical experience, then there's a bit more weight on his/her words. On the other hand if the reviewer is 14 year-old kid who thinks Eminem is the best, I wouldn't trust that review.
Old 13.09.2003, 10:37 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I do see your point...and for the most part it is quite valid...but taste in music plays little part in that aspect in some1's ability to review a product now it is quite valid if the individual likes rap and say gave it great reviews because it makes great sounds for that genre...

now for experience...u can have a 14 year old kid know more about synth hardware then some1 who has been in the business for years...say for instance if some who has been in the business only enjoyed using analogue synths and said VA's are crap because they, the individual, r not experience with that typical synth...granted this is just an example...the person could have 10 years experience with wavetable synths but we do not no these details of the individual if they say they have had 10 years with synths period...as for the kid he could have grown up using synths and knows thats all he/she wants to do so they study on synthesis and use various synths everyday...but we only see them as an unexperienced child...

this is where multipule sources come in...since it is based off of preference "for the most part", getting multipule reviewers thoughts on it and weighing out the pros and cons for yourself is by far the choice that will have u feeling more secure about your decision...this method works with any subject...because there r always different ways of looking at things and no one can be completely objective...this is what we call being open minded and logical....

now i do understand what u r saying juho some1 with that much experience must know what there talking about and it is a great place to start...but i would not stop there...i would still look for more reviews on the subject b4 taking the persons word as final...I hope u understand what im am saying...i am not disagreeing with u im just expanding on your initial suggestion...

peace
Blank