Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 23.08.2007, 12:27 AM
New here
New here

Default Help with recording MIDI w/ KC

I have a virus kc and want to be able to record it via MIDI, if that's possible. I also use the kc as my main controller for software synths and such so I have the MIDI cables already connected. I work in Logic and have created an object for the kc already but I don't know how to set it up to record the sound from the kc. I don't know if this is possible. I usually record the virus using the outputs into my motu traveler's inputs, but have been wanting to set it up to play and record over MIDI to give me more editing options than rather working with an audio file. I've read the manual and searched on the internet but am only getting more confused. I don't think I'm making any sense so if ya'll don't understand I'll try to explain what I'm trying to do better. Thanks alot in advance for any help ya'll can offer.
Old 26.08.2007, 01:24 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

(1) OK, are you aware that MIDI is not audio? Not being a smart ass, just a front-end question...

(2) Your KC needs a MIDI cable in its MIDI Out port and that MIDI cable needs to go to your MOTU's MIDI In port.

(3) Your MIDI track in your song (no matter what sequencer you are using) needs to have the MOTU's MIDI In as its input to record it...

(4) Once your MIDI keystrokes are recorded from your KC (into the MIDI track mentioned in #3 above) I assume you wish to send it back from your computer/sequencer to your KC and then tweak away, yes?

Is this the case???

Don't fret, it will all work out, just be patient and persistent...

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 28.08.2007, 04:53 AM
New here
New here

Yes. I'm used to working with software synths and the kc is my first hardware one. I guess I don't understand the use in recording the midi keystrokes. Am I not able to have the strokes trigger the patch I create with the kc. Thanks alot for the help, I know this might sound basic.
Old 28.08.2007, 08:34 AM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

What sequencer are you using?
Old 28.08.2007, 10:11 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I had the same issues with my Kc, also my first hardware synth.

Here's my take on MIDI 101; I am no expert, but I can do what I need to:

Recording a MIDI track:
-----------------------
(1) KC MIDI Out port -> MIDI In port of your MIDI Interface (MOTU Traveler, Audiophile 2496, etc)
(2) In your sequencer, setup a MIDI track. The input of this MIDI track should be the same MIDI port that your KC is connected to.
(3) Click record, play your desired melody, sequence, etc.
(4) Click stop.
(5) You're done with the recording.

Playing Back a MIDI track through your KC:
--------------------------------------------
(1) MIDI Out port of your MIDI interface -> MIDI In Port of your KC
(2) Open your sequencer.
(3) Open your song with the desired MIDI track.
(4) The track's output should be the MIDI Out port of your MIDI interface, the same one that is connected to the KC's MIDI In port.
(5) Make sure the track is at 0:00 time (not at the end where you stopped recording)
(6) Click the play button. Your sequencer should send the MIDI notes which were recorded in the track to your KC. It should sound just like when you played it, note for note. Now you can try different patches and tweak them to your heart's content.
(7) NOTE 1: The KC's main outputs should be connected to your mixer or audio interface. These inputs should be active when trying to playback, otherwise you will hear nothing...
( If you wish to record the audio of the KC being played by the MIDI track, then just setup a stereo track, being fed by the audio inputs that the KC is connected to. Arm the track, click record, then play the MIDI track. Voila! The MIDI track sends the note information to the KC, the KC creates the audio, your audio input translates it through its digital/audio converters and sends the signal (now 1's and 0's) to the assigned tracks in your sequencer.

Playing Back a MIDI track through a Soft Synth:
--------------------------------------------
(1) Open your sequencer.
(2) Open your song with the desired MIDI track.
(3) The track should have a soft synth plugin assigned to it.
(4) The track's audio output shoud be the main audio output of your DAW.
(6) Click the play button. Your sequencer should send the MIDI notes which were recorded in the track to the soft synth. It should sound just like when you played it, note for note. Now you can try different patches and tweak them to your heart's content, and try different synths too.

I think this is correct. If not, someone please edit. Dinner's ready, gotta' go!

Regards,

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile