Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

View Poll Results: Best Laptop
macbook core 2 dou white 3 50.00%
Dell XPS M1210 2 33.33%
Sony VAIO BX640PS2 1 16.67%
Toshiba Satellite P105 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28.02.2007, 10:50 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Your pick on a laptop

I'm about to buy a notebook in the next week. My budget is 1300 usd ..at the moment i'm pretty sure the macbook white is my best bet what do you think?

if you had a choice which laptop to buy from this list which one would you choose. Consider that it will be used for a little studio work but mostly just for fun stuff.

Last edited by mr.e : 01.03.2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 28.02.2007, 11:06 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 9400, dual core Intel 1830, 2 GB RAM, XP SP2 Home, wireless card, 7200 RPM 80 GB HD, yadda, yadda... for about $1000.

It's fucking awesome.

I use it with a Western Digital 250 GB 7200 RPM firewire drive,
my Mackie onyx Satellite,
and a M-Audio MidiSport UNO

+ my synth, monitors, mics, guitars, etc

and I fucking LOVE it.

Check out the Dell outlet for great deals.
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 28.02.2007, 11:08 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

holy crap those are some crazy specs for 1k !!! I can't believe it..where did you buy it? and I didn't know laptops came with 7200rpm hd's thats nuts

Last edited by mr.e : 28.02.2007 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01.03.2007, 12:41 AM
Administrator

My first port of call would probably be the Dell's, too. As with any laptop, look for any potential issues regards ground-loops with external soundcards, though.

The Sony... fantastic screen, but you would probably have to upgrade some of the internal components (HD, etc.) as the stuff they put in there was not high-end when I looked at them (4200rpm HDs, etc.). They seemed well-overpriced for what they were when I was researching laptops a year or two back. Of course they could have changed since then, with later models.

However, after experiencing an out-of-warranty defect with a Sony camcorder, and seeing Sony's extortionate repair fees, I'd find it hard to recommend them. Furthermore, their customer support is shit, and their email support completely non-existent.

Last edited by Timo : 01.03.2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01.03.2007, 02:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.e View Post
holy crap those are some crazy specs for 1k !!! I can't believe it..where did you buy it? and I didn't know laptops came with 7200rpm hd's thats nuts

Here's the link mate:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=22&l=en&s=dfh

The Dell Outlet kicks ass.

Mine was categorized as "Refurbished" but was never owned or opened by anyone else.

It's basically a means for Dell to clear out excess inventory.

Check the model you are interested in daily, I checked mine hourly once I had the money to buy because the inventory is in and out, like waves on the beach.

Sort by HD type and OS and you'll usually find a 7200 RPM drive with 2 GB of RAM once every day or so.

It's worth it in my book.

Please note that you should buy with 2 GB of RAM because if you buy with 1 GB you get 2x 512 MB sticks and then have to buy 2x 1 GB sticks if you wantg 2 GB later...

ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 01.03.2007, 02:21 AM

I think those Dells are pretty sweet as well actually. I know a few people that have them (the exact one you're looking at) and work should be buying one of the bigger Dells this coming school year. The only thing I don't like is the shinny screens, but I hear you can get a cover for them though.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 01.03.2007, 05:45 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74 View Post
Here's the link mate:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...=22&l=en&s=dfh

The Dell Outlet kicks ass.

Mine was categorized as "Refurbished" but was never owned or opened by anyone else.

It's basically a means for Dell to clear out excess inventory.

Check the model you are interested in daily, I checked mine hourly once I had the money to buy because the inventory is in and out, like waves on the beach.

Sort by HD type and OS and you'll usually find a 7200 RPM drive with 2 GB of RAM once every day or so.

It's worth it in my book.

Please note that you should buy with 2 GB of RAM because if you buy with 1 GB you get 2x 512 MB sticks and then have to buy 2x 1 GB sticks if you wantg 2 GB later...

thanks man ..great find! I think im gonna buy a Inspiron 6400 / E1505 Intel Core 2 Duo - 2000 100 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) 2gb ram
Certified Refurbished
Old 02.03.2007, 09:11 AM
Pro
Pro

I would buy a mac anyway but I don't like the color of the white macbook. Old iBooks looked better imo. The keyboard of the macbook is also a little weird and macbook doesn't look as nice as iBook or macbook pro. The black macbook looks better imo. I compared them side by side and I don't like the color of the new macbook. It's not white inside. I guess they changed the color to a little darker one that dirt cannot be seen so easily. The first macbooks suffered from discoloration. I guess people had dirty hands and their macbooks got dirty too. Also the macbooks seem to have too much quality problems. I would choose a 15" macbook pro. It looks good, has a good display and the keyboard is better. If only they did a 13" version of it too and a low power version to avoid heat.
Old 02.03.2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

No problem Bro; you'll really enjoy that laptop.

I love mine.

I am finally mobile, with better sound quality than before due to the stronger system...

-Alex
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 02.03.2007, 01:47 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

My job buys me HP (business class) Laptops... lots of power no extras and very stable with XP Pro. The less junk on any pc the better - just the applications you need.

My wife uses is a Dell and if I were buying my own laptops I'd probably go for a Dell... the customer service is much better than HP even if it's not needed that often you like to know it's there.