Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 04.05.2004, 11:17 AM
New here
New here

Send a message via MSN to anykeystudio
Default Keep the Virus C or not?

Hi I just order an Andromeda A6, because I always loved the sound of it. Plus the prices on those things have gone down. So I will be sitting with a A6 and a virus C. I am planning to sell my Virus, I don?t want to have to many things. But I am not sure.
Does anybody have the Andy and the Virus C and do they cover the same ground when it comes to sound?

Synth list;
Virus C
Studio Electronic ATC-X Quad Filter
Yamaha DX 200,
Yamaha A5000
Novation Super Bass Station
Ensoniq EPS 16+

More on;
www.anykeystudio.com

Greetings Virus friends.
Old 04.05.2004, 12:53 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Well, you need to ask yourself these questions.

1. Can I afford to keep the Virus?
2. Would you be happy selling for less than you paid for?
3. Would you be content using mostly the same synth for all your songs?
3. Most importantly - Do I still enjoy the sound of the Virus?

It depends on a lot of things.
The first thing you are going to do when you get your A6, is not turn your virus on for a month or two, maybe three. This is expected, this does not mean however that it is better than the Virus, but rather more interesting for the time. Most people make that mistake when acquiring new gear. After that phase is over, you may or may not wish you still had the Virus.

Noticing the setup you have in your studio, it seems like you're interested in producing mostly electronic compositions.

As an aspiring electronic musician myself, I would say the benefit to keeping the Virus is simply having another tone to work with. Using different synthesizers keeps your music from having that "Sameness" feel to all the tracks. It does not really require tons of synths, but I think you have enough now to make some great tracks. Many of the members of this BBS themselves have a different selection of synthesizers in their homes/studios. Another benefit of keeping would be having something else to switch on once in awhile, when you get bored. It's also fun to try programming sounds your trying to achieve into a few of your synths to see which one represents it better.

It seems to me your setup would look ideal to a lot of people. 2 nice analog mono's, your soon to be Andromeda, your really High End Virtual Analog, FM synthesis, and your sampler.

If I were in your position, I would not sell -right away- unless financial situation dictated otherwise, and just compare them yourself.

In my situation however, I like to have a different assortment of noise machines

I hope that helps at least somewhat.
Old 04.05.2004, 01:42 PM
Amateur
Amateur

well said :P
Old 04.05.2004, 01:47 PM
This forum member lives here

Hmmm.....

A slightly tricky question which is actually really hard to answer. I pondered over the Virus KC or Andromeda A6 debate for a while also. I decided to NOT to go with the A6 b'cos it didnt live upto my expections (To put it into contecxt ive owed a Jupiter 8, Pro-one, MonoPoly, Juno 60 etc.). I played a A6 recently...and yes it sounds 'more' analog than the Virus C....but its not really truly satisfying like the old analog poly's of the 80's were. The A6 is actually quite thin sounding...comparable to the Jupiter 6.

The A6 is a really versatile analog synth and there is scope to make alot of nice sounds. However, I dont think the sounds a particularly 'better' than the Virus C. If you want an analog -poly then I seriously think you should consider something like a Prophet 5, OBxa/OB8 or Jupiter 8. If you cant go for a oldy....then the Virus C is your best bet for reasonably authentic analog emulation. Also bear in mind that the Virus is capable of making sounds that no true analogs can do.....and this is always a + point.

The truth of the matter is that both synths are really good sounding.....its a really hard call.

DS
Old 04.05.2004, 03:24 PM
New here
New here

Thanks for good answers Hardwork and Digital. Yes I have bean thinking the two machines maybe complement each other good. And I will keep the Virus and see I still come back to it for special sounds, than it?s a keeper.
Or id it collects dust after 6 month or so, maybe try to sell it.

Yes I did a compressing between the two synths 2 years ago. After playing with the Andy for 1-2 hours and switch to Virus. I honestly thought that is was something wrong with it.
I was not even close as vibrant and rich as the Andy and I decide that I gone buy one, one day. But that was 2 years ago, my opinion could have chanced since then.

The Jupiter 8 is fatter I know. But I had a Jupiter 6 and I couldn?t get a decent bass sound out off it. The Andy is capable of good basses, but not as my ATC-X. That one could meet the Voyager in the ring any day

I will get back when I have them both.
Old 04.05.2004, 04:35 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hmmm I will have to take a look at the ATC... I've been looking for an analog mono. :P
Old 04.05.2004, 05:50 PM
New here
New here

Do that, the ATC-X is very fun. You can find bargain on used ATC-1 machines. The new ATC-X has the real MiniMoog, SEM, TB 303 and the ARP2600 filter in it from the start. You can take my Virus C, but I have to kill you if you take my S.E

I forgot to put my beloved Akai MPC 200XL on the list earlier?..
Old 04.05.2004, 07:49 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

That bass line that starts right at the beginning on your song "Do me over"... That's the ATC-X with the 303 filter right?
Old 05.05.2004, 07:14 AM
New here
New here

Hi, that song is an old one. So at the time I did the song I didn?t have the ATC-X. So the acid line I made on the Virus C. It?s not very TB303 realistic, compared with the real filter. But I like it any way, it?s very funky. Actually the entire track is made on the Virus, except the drums that comes from the A5000.

I am going to add new songs when I have found a new web hotel, whit more space.

Peace!
Old 06.05.2004, 05:50 AM

If you can afford to keep it, I say keep it.

Having many sound top sounding sound sources is always a plus IMO.

Good luck with the choices!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut