Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 04.05.2005, 06:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to BlakeLight
Default Alesis Ion's Potential?

I'm currently debating whether to get an Ion to complement my live rig... I'd use it alongside my KC for bass / lead / accompaniment lines... but I'd like to get your guys input on the things potential.

I love my KC because I can do the craziest routings... like using my modwheel to simultaneously control several effects setting, using my foot pedal for cutoff frequency and my Kaoss pad for whatever else I want to control in real time... how does the Ion's programming capabilities compare to the KC.

Ive tried an Ion before, but I wasnt impressed by the presets, but its architecture... especially all those filters... seems pretty enticing (I also wasnt impressed by the Virus' presets, but they had a potential grittiness that I liked). The Ion has a good basic sound I think, I just dont know if I could do all the crazy real-time control routings that I do on my KC.

But then again, I still might just save and get a V-synth... those things are KILLER man... dont believe Rolands presets, the V-Synth is the most innovative synth created in ages... that being said... it still will cost me double the price of an Ion... anyways... if you guys could give me your advice / input / opinions / all that jazz / etc, Id really appreciate it! Peace,

-BlakeLight
Old 04.05.2005, 11:03 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Even though I am yet to hear/play an Ion in action, the idea of Ion having all those different modelled filters - as well as new ones - sounds excellent. I wonder if Access are planning something similar, in addition to their Moog-emulated filter and their own filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url=http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep03/articles/alesision.htm
Sound-On-Sound - Alesis Ion review[/url]]
The Ion's manual is careful not to name the specific synths on which its various filters are modelled, but if I borrow some of its language, and you look closely at the two-letter names for the various types, you should find it pretty easy to guess.

* 'mg': a four-pole low-pass modelled on that of the most famous monophonic analogue synth ever made.
* 'ob': a two-pole low-pass closely resembling the one in a classic synth xpander... whoops, I mean expander module.
* 'ob': a two-pole band-pass.
* 'ob': a two-pole high-pass.
* 'rp': a four-pole low-pass modelled on the one in a popular semi-modular synth.
* 'tb': a three-pole low-pass (think 'little silver bass synth').
* 'jp': a four-pole low-pass (from an eight-voice synth noted for its coloured buttons amongst other things);
* 'Eight-pole low-pass': all the filters from here on were created for the Ion; this one gives a very steep cutoff.
* '8ve dual band-pass': two two-pole band-pass filters spaced one octave apart.
* 'six-pole band-pass': like an exaggerated version of the 'ob' band-pass.
* 'phase warp': an analogue phaser effect based on eight all-pass filters in series.
* 'comb filter 1': multiple resonant peaks and notches which are not harmonically related.
* 'comb filter 2': as above, but the signal is additionally filtered to warm up the sound.
* 'vocal formant 1': three band-pass filters emulating 'ah' and 'oo' vowel sounds.
* 'vocal formant 2': as above, but 'oh' and 'ee' vowel sounds.
* 'vocal formant 3': a five-band formant filter.
* 'band limit': a two-pole high-pass filter and a two-pole low-pass filter in series, limiting the signal to everything between them; resonance adjusts bandwidth.

That's quite an impressive collection ? imagine the hardware required to build a polyphonic analogue synth containing that lot! There are some beautiful filters here, ranging from the (A)RP low-pass that clips when it gets a loud input level, to the delightful phasing filter and the expressive vocal filters. They all respond smoothly, with only the maximum resonance settings (in some cases) proving a little harsh and digital-sounding. And with two such flexible filters to play with, you are not reduced to merely emulating such classics as Moogs, Oberheims, Jupiters and so on, but can go where no-one has gone before. Perhaps this truly is the first of the next generation of Virtual Analogues?
Old 05.05.2005, 10:19 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

I've ordered an Ion myself. It's mean to be the shit. I'll find out personally soonish, I suppose .
Old 05.05.2005, 12:33 PM
Forum Saviour
Aged Veteran

Sound on sound's review of it is pretty extensive and goes into detail about the modulation possibilites:

Click here
Old 05.05.2005, 05:06 PM

Ive checked the reviews... and Ive tried the thing out too... Im just curious what you guys think of it when you actually use it... I heard there are some bugs in the initial OS... you know... stuff that might not show through in Keyboards, Future Musics or SOS's initial review. Thanks!
Old 05.05.2005, 08:48 PM

Ive checked out the ION. Its quite a good sounding VA (some say the best)....the on board effects are negligable...routings are comprehensive etc. But the tone of it never blew me away. I always found it a little plastic sounding

But anyways....check this out >>> http://www.unease.se/ion.htm

You may find it an interesting read....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 05.05.2005, 10:54 PM

thanks for the link DS! still debating with myself on that thing... would want to use it to do live vocoding with my v-synth doing drums. decisions... decisions (especially when one hasnt mucho dinero)