Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music production

General discussion about music production Discussion concerning music production, composing, studio work, sequencing, software, etc.

Old 25.08.2008, 09:45 PM
This forum member lives here

Default UAD 2 - coming soon!

can't wait for this.
http://www.uaudio.com/uad-2/
Old 25.08.2008, 10:23 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Ah, this where all the quality plugins went ...

I'm not sure about a proprietary hardware platform which is hosted in something as ephemeral as a computer though. A Virus doesn't date, but a PCI card? Dunno, talk me into one. And don't worry, I'm easily talked into things

Cheers,
B
Old 26.08.2008, 01:05 AM
Administrator

From that pic it looks like the UAD-2 "Solo" is about three times as powerful as the former UAD-1.

And the UAD-2 also has dual-core and quad-core versions!

If you count the pips on the VU meter, the UAD2 quad has 80 pips and the UAD1 has 7.
.'. Quad UAD2 = 11.4 x the power of UAD1.

Empirical Labs Fatsos on every buss! Along with space echos and transient designer. The Moog looks new, too?

The single thing that has puts me right off the UAD stuff is that it's unusable for tracking (loads of latency), and thus good only for in-the-box mixing.
I like to track and mix in realtime, where everything's affecting each other (all the busses and stuff) in hardware and software.
Old 26.08.2008, 02:14 AM

Timo, I think your calculations are spot on. The general thought is the quad core will be at least 10x as powerful as the current uad 1 cards. Which is amazing if you consider the fact that I have 4 uad 1 cards and haven't maxed them out yet.

The Fatso tape emulator is what I truly can't wait for. My guess is a Moog filter? I believe there will be some announcements this Friday.

One thing though, not sure why you are having really bad latency. I track everything in real time. Almost all of my tracks (at least 10 to 15 at any one time) will have a couple of uad plugs running each. Typically cambridge eq, followed by a compressor and then perhaps some efx like plate reverb or echo. Though a chainer is being petitioned for, I still can track in realtime without any noticeable latency. By the way, I have my system set to 4ms of latency.

LivePsy, I wish there was a way you could demo these plugins to test them out. I guarantee once you place an Pultec Pro eq followed by an LA-2A or 1176LN on your tracks, you'll be sold!! UAD really does offer some of the best plugins available.

Last edited by Doc Jones : 26.08.2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 29.08.2008, 08:02 PM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Default out now!

http://www.uad-2.com/
Old 29.08.2008, 09:25 PM

yeah, they went live today. On the main site http://www.uaudio.com/ they have tons of info about it. It's amazing to think that just one of their quad cards will be more than 2.5x more powerful than my entire 4 card set. Also they now have load balancing and low latency enhancements.
I have quite a few of their plugins right now, but can't wait to get a hold of the Empirical Labs Fatso, Moog and Neve stuff.
Old 30.08.2008, 12:01 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

How are the plugins authorised? And would it be cheaper to buy the whole package than buying the plugins a little bit at a time?

There, I didn't sound like I am going to run out and buy it... does it?

B
Old 30.08.2008, 12:16 AM

When you purchase your first card, a group is created for you on the universal audio site. In that group you can have up to 4 uad-2 cards and 4 uad-1 cards (for a total of 8 cards per group). At that point, any new plugins that you purchased are assigned to that group and authorized to run on all cards that are also assigned to that group. Now things have changed since I bought my first card, but when I purchased my card it came with a bunch of plugins - LA-2A, 1176ln, Dreamverb, etc. and I added a bunch over time. If I had to do it over, I would most certainly do one of their packages as it would save me a bit of money vs purchasing the individual plugsin. But it's good to know what you want prior to purchasing the plugs, so UA gives you 14 day demos to trial out each plug. They're also really good about extending the trial if you need more time.

Also before you make a purchase, check out JRRShop for prices. Eric is the owner and he frequently visits UA's forums and offers a discount to all forum members. The forums are here --> http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/viewforum.php?f=2
Old 30.08.2008, 12:18 AM

oh and if I were to do it over, I would most definitely go with one of the flexi packs as that will give you the most flexibility when selecting plugins to purchase.
Old 30.08.2008, 12:32 AM

oh my, the Moog MultiMode Filter for all of our audio!
This is one of the reasons why I couldn't wait for the side chaining feature in the TI

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2008/september/power.html

ok, enough of my UA ranting