Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 29.10.2010, 01:53 PM
New here
New here

Default [unsolved] Part number for replacement Virus B potentiometers (knobs)

Hi All,

After being ignored by Access 'support', um, twice(!), I thought I'd see if anyone here can help me?

I've just bought a 2nd hand Virus B rack and 1 of the pots is knacked. I have a guy here at work who can replace it easily enough, but I don't know the P/N to order the new pot.

Has anyone ever replaced a pot on the virus who can help me, as obviously it's beyond the Access support staff!

Thanks in advance.

Eraser
Old 30.10.2010, 08:32 AM
New here
New here

OK - I take it back. Access got in touch with an apology for the delay, and are sending out a pot to me FOC.

I will post the P/N here when I recieve it.
Old 30.10.2010, 12:23 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

http://infekted.org/virus/showthread.php?t=31443

Exchanged a few pots myself (above link, with pics). I couldn't source them from Access themselves, but they pointed me towards Access' hardware branch [Synthesizer Service] which is based in Germany. They sent me four pots.

The pots are 10KOhm linear, "Alps" branded, but when I originally searched for the Alps pots (of which there are many) in the public domain I didn't find any with the same physical dimensions (of the spindle) as the ones used for Virus so I think these pot dimensions may be custom to Access.
Old 18.04.2011, 02:13 PM
New here
New here

Please, please,

Anyone's got a ref for these pots.
I've got a rackXL, which is totally useless cause of dead pots (Can get 0 or 127 as a value...).
I'm ready to perform the surgery on my own. My question is what kind of pots to buy? 10KOhm linear... ok, then with infinite rotation... where do you find that?

Tha.
Old 08.01.2018, 12:47 PM
New here
New here

Sorry for necrobumping this post but recently I had to source out some replacement pot for my virus C. As everyone I am aware of before me, I could not find anywhere the code of these ALPS pots, but only online stores charging 4X the price for each of those 1.5 euros pots. I figured the product number out myself by looking at ALPS datasheets and comparing with those in my virus. The code number is RK11K1140A23 (10 Kohm linear 1B 25 mm) and should be the same for Virus A, B, C, TI and Classic.

Please notice that the picture on the datasheet is not correct (but measures are!) and the pot could look wrong
Old 09.01.2018, 03:50 AM
New here
New here

Thumbs up Good to know!

Ah yes, looks like we were all waiting for Mouser to stock up again! I have eight of the same part # coming to me in the mail as I write this, I figured I was taking a chance at buying them, but I'm happy to know they will be correct!

I found that part # on this forum from Timo, and he pretty much says everything you did, but there was never a confirmation that it was absolutely correct. Thanks!

Now, if someone can help me find the Headphone/Sustain/Controller PCB, then I'll be able to mark "Mission Complete".

EDIT: The potentiometers came in, I've attached a photo of them so everyone can see!

Save yourself some money and get them directly from Mouser at this link. On Ebay they go for $7 each + shipping. Same for Syntaur. I bought 8 of them for under $20, with shipping, from Mouser.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg virus_potentiometer.jpg (41.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Chapterhaus : 10.01.2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Added Photos