Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 23.01.2006, 08:43 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to nailgun23
Default digital performer and VIRUS TI

Is anyone using DP and VirusTI? I have it working well but not recording the knob tweeks. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Nailgun

Mac powerbook G4 with 1gb ram
Motu 828
Midi Express
Virus TI polar and XP-30
Old 24.01.2006, 06:38 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to aisling
Default Re: digital performer and VIRUS TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailgun23
Is anyone using DP and VirusTI? I have it working well but not recording the knob tweeks. Any suggestions?

Cheers, Nailgun

Mac powerbook G4 with 1gb ram
Motu 828
Midi Express
Virus TI polar and XP-30
Are you recording automation passes on their own perspective midi channels? I use virus powercore and dp, this works for me?
Old 25.01.2006, 01:37 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Default automation passes on perspective midi channels

yes, I was recording in the tracks window on (for example) midi channel two but the knob tweek didn't record any midi data. The mod wheel did record midi data. I discovered last night that there are some options if I right click soft knobs in the Virus control. I will try some of these tonight. Last night I just set up some work templates in DP 4.6 for the virus and got the Virus outputs figured out to be only the main outs and turned off the USB outputs. USB was making the 828 mkll act up. All good now. Hopefully I get the softknobs to record tonight.

Thanxs, Nailgun
Old 25.01.2006, 03:51 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Re: automation passes on perspective midi channels

Quote:
yes, I was recording in the tracks window on (for example) midi channel two but the knob tweek didn't record any midi data. The mod wheel did record midi data. I discovered last night that there are some options if I right click soft knobs in the Virus control. I will try some of these tonight. Last night I just set up some work templates in DP 4.6 for the virus and got the Virus outputs figured out to be only the main outs and turned off the USB outputs. USB was making the 828 mkll act up. All good now. Hopefully I get the softknobs to record tonight.

Thanxs, Nailgun
You and I run similar set ups (with the exception of powercore virus until I make the big buy) So I am watching your thread/issues carefully. Have you been a "long time dp user"? at least 4.12......is so do you find that with dp 4.5 and up, performance has been hampered through OSX ram demands?
My rig titanium 800 3/4 gis of ram just SUCKS......Constant buffer override issues.......This whole intell issues has me all "%^&$ucked up"
my inner gear whore would rather upgrade my computer first, but the software is still 6 months behind.
Old 25.01.2006, 04:50 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Default DP is a resource hog

I've been in DP since 1996. I think it was 2.5 or so back then and the mac OS of the day was 7 something. I've been more of a midi guy and still learning the digital audio end of things. I use the DA in non traditional ways. Anyway, I agree that dp is a hog with both processor and ram. I think all the DAWs are like that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Once you learn one DAW switching to another sux. It just kills the workflow. For that reason I got real jazzed on the Virus TI, hardware taking the load off the computer. It's new and I'm just getting some time to tweek it all out.

More later, Nailgun

PS keep me posted on what your doing. I'm keeping the faith on the POLAR
Old 25.01.2006, 06:03 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Re: DP is a resource hog

Quote:
I've been in DP since 1996. I think it was 2.5 or so back then and the mac OS of the day was 7 something. I've been more of a midi guy and still learning the digital audio end of things. I use the DA in non traditional ways. Anyway, I agree that dp is a hog with both processor and ram. I think all the DAWs are like that. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Once you learn one DAW switching to another sux. It just kills the workflow. For that reason I got real jazzed on the Virus TI, hardware taking the load off the computer. It's new and I'm just getting some time to tweek it all out.

More later, Nailgun

PS keep me posted on what your doing. I'm keeping the faith on the POLAR
Ironically, in the osx 10.28 dp 4.12 (and earlier) my machine was very "zippy" 24+ tracks midi automation with reason, etc.....
The big change came with Dp4.5 and OSX 10.3......things came to a crwling halt.

I agree on the DAW switch issue.....I have used pro-tools, logic, cake walk, and after loosing my hair finnaly settled into dp. The user interface is just musician friendly. Even as a degreed audio engineer (who does not make a living) unless you have $30,000 for a real pro tools hd set up
DP just smokes the rest....
http://www.mp3.com.au/artist.asp?id=10004
Old 25.01.2006, 07:02 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Just listened to your trax... Fantastic
We have similar tastes.
Cheers, Nailgun
Old 25.01.2006, 09:27 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Quote:
Just listened to your trax... Fantastic
We have similar tastes.
Cheers, Nailgun
Thank you for the sentiment. Any tracks on your end?
Old 26.01.2006, 02:47 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Default RECORDING SOFT KNOBS

I don't have any music up currently. I will post something soon.

I worked with the automation last night and have some questions. In DP the midi automation only handles volume, pan and mute. Do I need midi controller numbers that correspond to the soft knobs of the Virus? Or is there something else I'm missing here?

I can see that the recorded automation worked with both pan and volume. The sliders move on playback in the virus control but not for the softknobs? Any suggestions would be wecome.

THanx, Nialgun
Old 26.01.2006, 03:41 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Default Re: RECORDING SOFT KNOBS

Quote:
I don't have any music up currently. I will post something soon.

I worked with the automation last night and have some questions. In DP the midi automation only handles volume, pan and mute. Do I need midi controller numbers that correspond to the soft knobs of the Virus? Or is there something else I'm missing here?

I can see that the recorded automation worked with both pan and volume. The sliders move on playback in the virus control but not for the softknobs? Any suggestions would be wecome.

THanx, Nialgun
As far as the powercore virus goes, you need midi controller #'s and it's fully automatible
http://www.waf80.de/virus/controller.html

I would imagine it is the same for the desktop.