Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 22.03.2014, 01:42 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default when did the Virus prices go up?

new ti2 keyboards were $2990 last I checked

they're $3,139 now.

desktops are now at $2,352 with Snows at $1,312.

can't quite remember the previous price for those 2 but I know it was lower than that.

seems like it's effecting resale value too

you think this is indication of change at Access or simply inflation?
Old 22.03.2014, 03:49 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Cheapest I've found for a new TI|2 Polar/Kbd in the UK is £2,045 ($3,372 USD). Snow is £825 ($1,360 USD). TI|2 Desktop is £1,489 ($2,455 USD)

I remember when the Virus Indigo was first released it used to be £1,150 ($1,896).

The cost went up a good few hundred £ when the TI|2 was released. The TI|1 kbd/polar was around £1,500 ($2,473), but the TI|2 kbd/polar jumped in at around £1,800 ($2,968 ) when it was launched. However I remember Marc saying he didn't understand why this was, as Access still sold them to retailers at the same price as their former TI|1. So a bit of price-fixing has gone off.

The price has gone up a further £250 ($400) since 2009, when the TI|2 was released.

The international economy is also in a completely different place to what it was back then. The TI|2 was released when the global recession was at its worst, and the EU was a complete mess, everyone thought the €uro currency was going to collapse due to Greece etc. and prices were really volatile. Just like petrol/gas, companies love to put up the prices quickly during a time of crisis, but rarely lower them afterwards.

Last edited by Timo : 22.03.2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 22.03.2014, 04:52 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

wow, i shudder to think what a TI3 might cost.

at the least this price hike might denote some movement (however small) at Access though i'm beginning to fear the worst for the company.
Old 22.03.2014, 04:54 AM

Price fixing is right.. those in the US ever notice how Sweetwater and ZZounds are exactly in sync on prices? Down to the dollar. Criminal.
Old 22.03.2014, 04:55 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

americanmusical too
Old 22.03.2014, 08:44 PM

There might be something astir indeed. Normally when I look on Amazon, all of the Virus product line are available new direct from Access, of course at the same fixed price as the major music shops like the above mentioned ones.

Right now they are only offering used units at least at Amazon US, and the snow is gone from the offerings. Could be either discontinuance of product line coming or (hopefully) introduction of new line.
Old 22.03.2014, 09:47 PM
Administrator

No evidence of that here. UK supply and prices seem relatively stable.

http://www.dv247.com/search/0/0/Rele...nding/Virus/1/

Also just last month someone (not me) elsewhere asked whether there's any inkling of a TI|3, whether they should wait or buy, Marc stated:
Quote:
"the Virus TI2 will be there for a while. we believe it is a great sounding musical instrument which will not be replaced anytime soon."
Old 22.03.2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
No evidence of that here. UK supply and prices seem relatively stable.

http://www.dv247.com/search/0/0/Rele...nding/Virus/1/

Also just last month someone (not me) elsewhere asked whether there's any inkling of a TI|3, whether they should wait or buy, Marc stated:
Could be some sort of supply chain shortage (specific parts) or similar. Sometimes supply chain shakeups are felt slightly more the farther you go from the home country of HQ. Odd that they wouldn't at least take orders via Amazon though, that has to be a big sales source for them.

I have not seen any indication of supply shortage from the normal retailers (ZZsounds, Sam Ashe, Sweetwater, American Musical etc.) but I thought the change coming from Access themselves on Amazon could be considered interesting. I didn't look at what it looked like on Amazon UK because I don't have a baseline for comparison, not having looked them up there before.
Old 23.03.2014, 01:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran

"the Virus TI2 will be there for a while. we believe it is a great sounding musical instrument which will not be replaced anytime soon."

It is a great sounding musical instrument. It continues to sell well because if you manage to get it working properly - 'cause it's certainly not a given, regardless of how it's named and publicized - it's a plus for any studio. But the thing that keeps the sales running, I think, is the fact that it's great for gigs. That says a lot about it's build quality and reliability on stage and the sheers number of options for synthesis. I think this explains a lot.

But if they think they can rest because of their success with this, I'd suggest otherwise. They would do well to revamp the engine with further improvements, most of them have been mentioned here "ad-nauseum" and it's not a coincidence most users point in the same directions when talking about what they'd like to see on an instrument.

Access has made a lot: they've managed to create a synthesizer that's deep enough to make most of the sounds you'd find on instruments that existed before it, managed to build an expiring physical interface extremely well built. This is what makes it so great to use Live, 'cause you can dispense a huge rack of instruments when you can reproduce most of them with the Virus. On the studio, the depth of options is/was a major appeal, along with the number of voices on offer. But the Ti part of things didn't go exactly smooth, and it should. It's a great idea that's worth fighting for: a sound designer's dream, and today this means enlarging the scope of options for sure, when you have stuff like Zebra and Massive as competition (regardless of them not being hardware), a DSP based bread-and-butter synthesizer that offers sample accurate timing (please, whenever it's ready, give me a call) and automation within a DAW, powerful enough that you can have 16 sounds of it going at once (please, contact me when it's ready) without charging the host's cpu, storing patches on projects, librarian for patches, so forth and so on.

Then being able to perform with it live is a great plus as well, if this integration is made flawless the better if you can recall settings/patches right away and tweak away live, either really playing it or simply tweaking knobs.

So there you have it: the engine, the integration + dsp power (to live up to expectations created and publicized by the company), the performance side. plenty of work to do, me thinks
Old 23.03.2014, 04:01 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
I remember reading this somewhere, just can't remember where or when.

Tweak, do you know?