Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 27.05.2009, 08:41 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default Please help - Virus TI2 Kbd issues

Hi all,

Firstly I would like to say hi to everyone as I am a newbie to this forum but have been lurking and searching for answers to my problem with the Virus TI2 Keyboard.

I recently invested in this synth as I have always loved the Virus sound and I write Trance so it seemed well suited. I run a native setup and what ever I do with the configuration, I simply cannot get the latency issues to improve.

I use Sonar 8 PE, and read on here that there is a problem with the PDC that causes other VSTi's to experience latency when the VC plug is inserted...that is definately true. It makes my project unusable!!
When I switch to Live mode, the latency issues for the other VSTi's is gone. Only trouble is, now the Virus is out of sync!

The Virus doesn't allow recording in real time when live is disabled so I had noticed which is very strange because when I play the keys, the resulting audio appears absolutely spot on, it's just that the midi being transmitted is not in sync with what I am hearing (slightly behind).

I tried a demo copy of Ableton Live 8 too, and although the other VSTi's work perfectly with VC inserted, the sync of the Virus is out, Live or no Live mode.

I don't use the Virus as my sound card, I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 for that which I have tried at buffer settings of 128/384/512 and sample frequencies of 44100/48000/96000. I use the ASIO drivers.

I have for testing purposes configured the virus as the soundcard also, but again, similar results.

My PC setup :

Intel Dual Core 2.4Ghz
Asus P5E32-E Mobo with PCIe Nvidia graphics card (hardware acc off)
4Gb Ram
Sata HDD
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card
Firewire PCI card (for use with Powercore)
Windows Vista 32-bit SP1
Sonar 8PE Release 8.3.1
Virus TI software release 3.0.1.15

Who out there has one of these keyboards working properly, with other VSTi's as well in there project with no (or un-noticable) latency and no obvious Midi/Audio sync issues. Please post up your specs as I refuse to believe that the keyboard is no use. It has to be a software / OS / pc hardware issue.
If I need to go Mac to do this then I will!!

Really sorry for the long first post and I really hope someone can help me out here. I want so badly to use this synth as it was intended!

Kindest Regards,

Simon

Virus-TI2 KB, Powercore compact, Intel i7 Quad Core on Gamers republic mobo (Nvidia Chipset), 4Gb Ram, 250Gb Sata, Windows Vista x32 SP1.

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 27.05.2009, 09:27 AM
Banned

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card ????
Firewire PCI card (for use with Powercore) ???
Windows Vista 32-bit SP1 ???
Old 27.05.2009, 10:08 AM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by telson View Post
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card ????
Firewire PCI card (for use with Powercore) ???
Windows Vista 32-bit SP1 ???
Ok,

I presume by your comments that all three of these are a bad combination with the Virus? Could you please provide more detail as so far without the Virus the setup has been rock solid.

With regard to the Firewire card, as I have a powercore compact Firewire device, this is a requirement. Does this mean bad news?

Simon

Virus-TI2 KB, Powercore compact, Intel i7 Quad Core on Gamers republic mobo (Nvidia Chipset), 4Gb Ram, 250Gb Sata, Windows Vista x32 SP1.

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 27.05.2009, 10:16 AM
Am starting to like this forum

try OS 3.0.2 Public Beta

The Arp Timing is really good with it, but you might geht some slowdowns when brwosing patches and switching tabs in VC
Old 27.05.2009, 10:44 AM
Complete Newbie

Thanks for that, any problems with the Beta other than the browsing issues you mentioned?

I also have a call open with Access support who are suggesting a USB related issue as they have tested the Virus under Vista successfully with Sonar 8.

I have queried with them with regards to the M-Audio and Firewire cards as mentioned above. Is there a specific issue with the M-Audio card that I didn't know about?

I am a little more confident that this is my PC rather than the Virus as it would seem that alot of you have this working properly.

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 27.05.2009, 11:34 AM
Banned

in my country if someone talks about vista , the answer is svista ( greek translation : delete )

look at my setup
i have no problems at all with my polar and my daw
actually i believe that it's because of XP OS and RME soundcard
if you want to make your life easy , just think about a serious
audio interface with stable drivers
Old 27.05.2009, 11:51 AM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by telson View Post
in my country if someone talks about vista , the answer is svista ( greek translation : delete )

look at my setup
i have no problems at all with my polar and my daw
actually i believe that it's because of XP OS and RME soundcard
if you want to make your life easy , just think about a serious
audio interface with stable drivers
Hi,

Like the translation! Was going to try the Virus on my laptop which runs XP tonight. Would need to configure it as an audio interface too, but for testing purposes I guess it would quickly answer my questions!

What DAW do you use?

Cheers,

Simon

Ableton Live 8.04
Old 27.05.2009, 11:58 AM
Am starting to like this forum

yes thats true, the funny thing is i had a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card once (sold it to a friend *g*)

like telson says if you want a good stable system with good sound and drivers buy a RME interface

i have the rme Fireface400, first it seems expensive, but you never gonna regret it, because you buy it only once and probably work the rest of your life with it

also you should switch to Windows7 RC 32 Bit, download it for free, you can use it till 2010, works much better than vista with audioapps!
Old 27.05.2009, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by simog View Post
What DAW do you use?
sonar pe 8.3.1
Old 27.05.2009, 12:53 PM
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynth View Post
yes thats true, the funny thing is i had a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI card once (sold it to a friend *g*)

like telson says if you want a good stable system with good sound and drivers buy a RME interface

i have the rme Fireface400, first it seems expensive, but you never gonna regret it, because you buy it only once and probably work the rest of your life with it

also you should switch to Windows7 RC 32 Bit, download it for free, you can use it till 2010, works much better than vista with audioapps!
I think that the RME might have to wait a while!! Just looked up the prices and they are very expensive. Don't think I could justify another £700 - 1200 to my wife!!

Does Windows 7 work well with the VC drivers? Bit concerned about Windows 7 as I also have a powercore and they have only just got somewhere with the drivers for that under Vista, albeit still with some issues on firewire connectivity and driver initialization (just means I have to unplug the powercore and plug it back in before it is recognized properly by the driver!).

Seriously thinking of moving over to Ableton Live 8 in place of Sonar now because VC seems so much more stable in that sequencer.

Going to strip out the PC tonight, removing all components like firewire card, M-Audio card etc and install XP on a spare disk I have. Seems it simply has to be PC hardware / software as I have seen the Virus working on some youtube videos flawlessly, with one guy playing live over a running track with no latency at all.

I know the audio interface in the Virus is not going to be as good as the RME etc...but will the configuration work with this as an alternative solution to the M-Audio? Anyone succeeded with this setup?

Ableton Live 8.04