Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 23.03.2010, 03:57 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Angry All the above

sorry guys

tried it all, but all of the above didn't work.

I, also, keep getting the "recieved 15" message ...

any other ideas to update my virus C to OS 6.6?

so far I tried:
- windows media player
- Sonar 8 (at various speeds)
- Alesis-thing
- other midiplayers
- switching to update mode

it recieves stuff, but doesn't update
mm

Maunga
Old 06.04.2010, 01:18 PM
New here
New here

Default OS Update

Hi All, I am at my wits end. Been working on this for days, tried everything in all previous posts.

All config settings correct. Indigo v1 / Windows7, tried doing it from Cubase5, Reaper, MidiOX, Media Player, Soundiver and numerous other apps.

The device starts receiving but only up to a seemingly random number before stalling completely. Sometime it will only go up to 1, other times 101. (no setting changes)

My best results thus far have been with sequencer and 200BPM tempo. It definately seems to be linked with speed. 200BMP I can consistently get upto 80 - 100.

Do any of you remember what you did in past to get this working? help MUCH appreciated!
Old 06.06.2010, 08:31 PM
New here
New here

Default Success solution

I have a Virus Indigo II. I have tried all recommendations so the only thing that worked for me was putting the synth in receive mode ( hold store while turn on )

and then using the Aleisis tool. at the end of transmission it asked me to save it so i hit store and it did a few writes and was done.
Old 06.06.2010, 08:33 PM
New here
New here

MAUNGA : use the alesis tool along with putting the synth in receive mode.
the combo worked for my C and I was getting the same results as you.
Old 24.06.2010, 05:16 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Smile Thanks psyentist

psyentist: thanks, that actually worked for me!

definitely a smily this time!

Maunga
Old 23.10.2010, 08:11 AM
New here
New here

Hi all,
I am happy that I found this thread and realized that I am not the only one who has a connection problems with a Virus C.
I am running osx 10.6 and windows xp in virtualbox just for virus proposes..
The connection is made by Edirol UM-1ex (usb to midi interface)
I have set Hi and Lo profiles to sysex and rx and tx to enabled.
My Virus C is running OS 6.6 which was uploaded from Logic without any complication. The problem is, when I want to upload some new banks or patches I got from the internet - the virus shows the SE icon on the display but usualy does nothing else so the patch is not received or it finishes with message lie Sysex checksum error or something like this. I tried stuff like sysex librarian in osx, midi quest XL, sound diver in windows etc. but all the mentioned programs were able tu dump/get data from virus (patches, banks...) but not able tu upload.
All other midi in communication (midi note, midi cc and everything else) is working well...
I am despite because I have rely no idea what to try next and how to get a single patch to my virus

Could anyone help me please?

many thanks!!!!
Old 25.08.2011, 12:09 PM
New here
New here

Hey, I just did an OS update for the first time so I thought I'd share my experiences just in case it's of help to anyone.

I was using my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. Tried with and without engaging Receive Mode. I tried the following:

- MidiOX MIDI player (including pissing about with SysEx settings)
- that Alesis Freeloaded software in this thread
- Reaper at various BPMs (actually had more luck at higher BPMs, 180-200 seemed to get me the furthest)
- Windows Media Player once I figured out how the heck to route MIDI output in Windows 7 (downloaded an app, will try to remember where I found it if anyone's curious)
- switched over to my Mac to try SysEx Librarian with many combinations of data rates, pauses between transmissions, etc.

All of the above had the same result - the Virus received some blocks then (usually) just froze at a certain number, normally between 0-50 for the less reliable methods I tried and 50-80 for the better ones; or gave me "Incomplete Block" or CRC errors.

Finally (it was about midnight by then, I'd been at it since after I came home from work apart from a short break to visit my friend in hospital -fun evening overall!) decided to try a different MIDI interface: my Novation X-Station. Tried that with SysEx Librarian on the Mac with only a few ms between transmissions and it went absolutely fine. I didn't retry with any other apps as I was pretty keen to get to bed by then, but I got the impression the above methods probably would've been fine too through the X-Station.

My conclusion/tl;dr: Some MIDI interfaces have it, some don't. Seems like the more expensive Focusrite can cut it in terms of sound but Novation must've nailed tighter MIDI.
Old 15.01.2012, 11:28 AM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74 View Post
All, I contacted Access support about this issue a few years ago. Their recommended application for loading MIDI files into a Virus (for Windows platform) is Windows Media Player (WMP). I have used WMP several times to load banks of presets as well as a new OS and the 1024 bank update for the C-series. I have also used WMP to load banks of presets on my JV 1080 successfully. I hope this helps you all out as it does not require a link of any kind to the Alesis site if you already have a working PC.

-Alex
Is there any settings to change/configure in wmp?
Old 24.01.2015, 01:08 AM
New here
New here

Has anyone been able to load an OS onto a virus b, from a virus a.
I am not getting any sound and when I try to load the OS from logic. Trying my fireface400 and a Yamaha ux-16 midi usb. Sending at various speeds it gets to the end and asks to store. I hit yes and it says dsp-ram error.
I know midi in and out works and tested.
I get zero audio from any output. Checked in settings too.
Help??
Old 17.01.2016, 07:41 PM
New here
New here

Hello guys, hope you can assist on this one as well.

I just picked up a used Virus B (OS 1.5) and trying to load the latest OS from a mac using sysex librarian.

I have followed all the instructions on the first post and tried 2 ways to do this with no luck yet, getting different error messages immediately when I start sending the sysex data from the librarian.

1) when NOT in update mode I receive an error message which says the following: sysex with illegal function

2) when in update mode ( holding store when starting up the virus ) it says: Checksum error! Reception Failed

I've tried using different speeds in sysex librarian in 'preferences/general/pause between played messages' but to no avail, any input would be greatly appreciated !!