Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 18.06.2006, 12:22 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by blay
Cant find anyone who stocks the m-patch 2 in AUS - just the original m-patch, which will prob suit me better anyways (being a half-rack unit) as I will be able to rack it next to my ultralite...

Think I just found my next purchase - thanks for the heads up F5D
No prob.

Strange if you can't find the mpatch2 in Australia because SM Pro Audio is an Australian company.

I guess both models are as good. The only difference is the size, looks, knob size and color and the original mpatch lacks the headphone amp which imo is crap anyway.
Old 18.06.2006, 05:01 PM
This forum member lives here

Yeah it is strange.

What doesnt surprise me is the fact that the cheapest advertised price I can find the m-patch 1 in AUS is $180AUD, whereas several stores in the states are stocking it for $99US????

Even with currency conversion it still doesnt make sense that the unit would be that much cheaper in the US. Australian audio retailers are theives...

cheers

Blay
Old 18.06.2006, 05:49 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
What I have never figured out is why something as simple as a monitor control box cost a bloody fortune compared to say a a very basic mackie mixer. I would like to get a pre-sonus central sation here - especially if I get a second set of monitors - but they are expensive and have been seeing them come up second hand. Allways hopeful that the prices will plummet one day
the central station might also be a good option.

i have been using a basic mackie vlz1202pro for this porpuse and i can say the switch was amazing,only then i could hear how noisy the mixer was.
about the Mon800,i can assure you they accualy managed to hit the spot this time for as amazingly low price (around 59 euro i think). near to non coloration,0 noticable noise,clean headphone out. cons: 2nd and 3rd set of monitor outputs are unbalanced.
i wouldnt run a 5000 US pair of monitor thru them tho but i can say the same with the synthax suzy or central station.
Old 18.06.2006, 06:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Anyone use the Samson C-Control? Unlike the mon800 - at least you can rack mount it.

I find non-rack mountable rack-like boxes deeply annoying (even half rack size units)

Another option is the Mackie Big knob - personally I dont like it because you have to have it on your desk, which means loads of cables near/on your desk, which in turn mean interference from LCD/CRT monitors etc.
Old 18.06.2006, 11:18 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Anyone use the Samson C-Control?
I had one. It has good connectors and routing options but it colors the sound. People say the same about mackie big knob. If you want a transparent volume controller which doesn't color the sound, passive is the only way. If I had too much money, maybe I would have bought the central station because it also looks damn cool.
Old 21.08.2006, 01:20 AM

just had a chance to test out the dynaudio bm5as - nice!!!!
it was funny, there was a guy at the place who was thinking about picking a pair of HR 824s. So we struck up a conversation and I told him how I was thinking about selling off my 824s and had heard alot of good things about the bm5as. Just then one of the sales guys comes in and within a few minutes of talking, we find out he works as an engineer at a local recording studio in downtown and he, hands down, loves the bm5as!! After a/bing a bunch of material between the bm5as and the 824s (as well as some other monitors), we were all pretty much in agreement that the dynaudio monitors sounded the best!
Old 21.08.2006, 02:10 AM
Pro
Pro

Happy owner of BM5as here
Old 21.08.2006, 04:11 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

A little late on the ball, but a proud owner of Tannoy Reveal 6D's

imo best in its class
Old 22.08.2006, 07:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

The new Adam A7s are amazing for their price (999$)
Im having some cash shortage ATM but as soon as thats over im defently geting thos.
Old 22.08.2006, 08:14 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

i'm thinking of switching my tannoy reveal actives and buying samson Rubicon R8a monitors.
they look sweet ... any suggestions guys?

http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...1890&brandID=2