Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 01.02.2013, 05:51 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Yup thats about it, Lol I think my money is safe from harm. The only music purchase this year for me will be the upgrade from my Ableton Live 8 suite to 9 when it comes out, can't wait!
Looks good, doesn't it? There's a new Cubase as well. No news from Apple making a major update for Logic though (they're also very silent about such things, but that's still the DAW I use, coupled with Ableton...)
Old 01.02.2013, 06:09 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
Looks good, doesn't it? There's a new Cubase as well. No news from Apple making a major update for Logic though (they're also very silent about such things, but that's still the DAW I use, coupled with Ableton...)
I've got a Mac Mini here (maximum spec'd available in 2011) with Logic on it and not sure what to do with it. There are some things I love, I can indiscriminately plug in my Novation KB and Logic just picks it up any time. If I do that on the PC I have to make sure the KB is plugged in before I load the DAW. If I take a best of breed softsynth like Zebra and load a MIDI file into a DAW on the Mac and a DAW on the PC and ultimately output to MP3, naturally they will sound identical, so I'm not sure how much everything in between matters.

Apple is making all their money with phones and tablets and I have very little confidence in the Mac at this point. After seeing what they did with Final Cut, I have zero faith in Apple to keep Logic going forward. I've also got a couple of PCs, one sitting idle that topples the overall processing power of the Mac I have, and at the time I bought it it toppled anything available from Apple at any price point (despite costing much less). Havent kept up to see how that's changed.

Overall based on what I've seen over the last several years, I think I just need to learn Cubase on PC for my particular needs.
Old 01.02.2013, 06:29 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, but nowadays Logic is like my second skin, I can work much faster with it, then on Cubase (which I've been using a lot, on a laptop, since I'm in between houses right now), where I always feel a strange handicap. I also think Apple's focus has been on their gadgets for far to long, the Mac Pro is a joke, in terms of features, with totally outdated processors on them - and they sell them for such a huge amount of money. And the latest OS updates brought some issues with them, some older plug-ins are not compatible any more - even though there's been a fair number of updates by major brands and all. But all that so you have better facebook integration and a menu that looks like an IPAD? Still using snow leopard here, not thinking twice about it...

And yeah, Final Cut was a joke. Plain and simple. If they do the same with Logic, I think I'm going to get myself a Hackintosh and use this version on it, while learning Cubase at the same time and say goodbye Apple for good. They're largely over priced, and I haven't been excited about them for far to long. It's all a big bull salad, if you ask me.
Old 01.02.2013, 08:47 AM
Pro
Pro

Only reason I got a macbook pro was for live performances with Cubase -had too many issues with drivers, mainly due to Nvidia GPUs (the old pc laptop i had was a gaming machine).

Its rock solid for djing and live, but way overpriced. Luckily my DJing paid it off over six months or so.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 01.02.2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, it's much more stable and therefore more reliable for live use...
Old 01.02.2013, 06:33 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
I'm actually a little nervous about Access. When other hardware and software companies are adding and releasing new offerings in a prolific way, Access has been like the Mary Celeste this last year.

The customisable oscillator waveforms on Zebra2 look extremely cool too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoQYVP010
I am silently waiting to see what urs does with Diva as I know there is a hardware version on the horizon, well in the somewhat future Would prefer to see a zebra hardware tbh.

I am a huge fan of u-he as their software and sound fits in so well with the TI in my personal opinion.

Coupled with synthmaster which I would like to see in vst3 and a better gui.

Dissapointed with the Moog offerings, price wise too much I believe. Keeping an eye on the Macbeth analogues though...see good things coming from them in the future I hope, if they grow.

Releived theres no TI3 as i cannot afford it at the moment heehee.

My noodles, nothing spicy...
https://soundcloud.com/mystafx
Old 01.02.2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Also a big fan of U-He's here. They're stuff is amazing. Didn't know about their plans to go hardware, where have you read about that? Diva would actually make sense to evolve to hardware since most CPU's still struggle with it maxed out, while Zebra would be almost impossible to create a physical interface for, at least with the expectable price range of humans...
Old 01.02.2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Also a big fan of U-He's here. They're stuff is amazing. Didn't know about their plans to go hardware, where have you read about that? Diva would actually make sense to evolve to hardware since most CPU's still struggle with it maxed out, while Zebra would be almost impossible to create a physical interface for, at least with the expectable price range of humans...
A physical interface for Zebra would probably be more like a DIY build a hardware synth project, with lots of wires and electronics pieces, a screwdriver and a soldering iron.
Old 02.02.2013, 12:31 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Yeah man, a must have for any Live user I think. I have the 8 suite so the full on upgrade with the MAXX for live & tons of sound packs...50 + Gb's is only $299. About the price of a decent convolusion reverb!!! Take my money already
Old 02.02.2013, 12:49 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Yeah man, a must have for any Live user I think. I have the 8 suite so the full on upgrade with the MAXX for live & tons of sound packs...50 + Gb's is only $299. About the price of a decent convolusion reverb!!! Take my money already
Does this imply that Ableton Live works better on a Mac than a PC or same expectations for performance?
Does anyone have any experience with PreSonus Studio One Artist DAW? I ask because a new audio interface am considering, whether usb or firewire, PreSonus includes full copy of Studio One Artist.