Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 19.01.2008, 12:21 PM
Coming down with a bug...
New here

Default Where is the Virus?

Hi...my first post here!

Just a thought and question?

Where is the Virus in live setups? I have never seen any band on stage or DVD where the Virus is being used! All I ever see are the main three...RolaYamaOrgs... occasionally see the kurzweil.

The reason I ask is...i have the TI keyboard...and i always say that it's like the rolls royce of synths, no one has ever heard of it (they love it though...the sounds that is).

I'm just puzzled as to why it is not visible or even used on stage?!?

Any ideas...thoughts?
Old 19.01.2008, 12:31 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Yes, I've often thought that myself.

I can only think that people like to keep their Viruses secret!

Or, they just like to show off their large touchscreens for show.
Old 19.01.2008, 12:43 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via AIM to logo80 Send a message via MSN to logo80

eh eh eh I use it in live situation... but I don't think that my band is so well known AHAHAH!
Old 19.01.2008, 01:16 PM
Administrator

Seems like Nords are the choice for live as they tend to cut through the other band better. I think I've seen Virus Indigo on stage. I can't remember what band it was though.
Old 19.01.2008, 01:26 PM

The only times I have seen the virus used live is at electronic shows. My guess is that the people who use the virus live usually use it as a self contained unit - eg, the virus constitutes the main part of the song that is being played. This is typically electronic style music. Whereas when you have a full band playing (drums, bass, guitar, vox) the synth sound is typically complimentary - strings, pads, piano etc., which people usually choose one of the big three for.
Old 19.01.2008, 07:03 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

http://www.access-music.de/events/11...erview_DM.php4

just an example..

r
Old 20.01.2008, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Interesting question. One thing I thought of is that alot of folks using a keyboard on stage like to have a full 88 keys available to them, and the biggest keyboard Access makes is a 61 key. I'll say that I would rather play an Access (Fatar) keyboard than any other after owning my KC for a few years. Yammy keyboards are nice though too, but not as good as the Virus. Of course if you want hammer action/piano action then the Access keyboard is not for you...

I saw Hot Hot Heat live at Ultra 8 a few years ago. The guy playing for them (same dude as Gorillas I think) was playing a Fantom X6!
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 20.01.2008, 10:31 AM
Administrator

I must say that keyboard isn't the reason. 88-key weighted are used for piano stuff. 61-key keyboard is more or less a standard on synth stuff.

Maybe Virus is profiled as a electronic/trance synth so it's quite rare on "traditional" bands...
Old 20.01.2008, 01:02 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Well, I play keyboards in a band called DooLee, and I bought the Virus TI primarily for live use. Currently using Emu XL-7 (fully expanded with sound ROMs) and Novation Nova, with Novation Remote SL 61 as controller. My goal is to replace them both with the Virus - a bit tricky since the E-mu has rather nice acoustic samples (the Perfect Piano is fabulous for instance), but I decided to try and manage without them. At the moment I'm working on re-creating my live setup on the Virus.

[that's why my first question on this board was about keyboard ranges in Multi mode - I often use keyboard splits for live performance]

As a side note, while Virus beats the Nova in terms of features, I noticed that the basses on it do not sound as "ballsy". In our rehearsal room, a Nova bass can shatter the walls. Since the Virus has never left home yet, I'm wondering how it will sound there..