Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 01.11.2009, 02:25 AM
Pro
Pro

Default Mistabishi faking it - Thoughts?

Hey, don't know if any of you out there have been reading the threads for Mistabishi faking his dj sets - but I found the threads (pointless banter aside)and his responses to them to be quite interesting.

http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/tm.aspx...700605&mpage=1

A quote from an earlier post of his re djing: " i just don't see the excessive merit in it that people like you obviously give to it. i've played vinyl only sets where i've had to beat match things. largely because i've been forced to. i've also played sets with nothing more than a single cd and spent the whole hour on the phone. on both occasions i played the records i make and they have the desired effect on those that dance to them"

And heres his apology thread - http://forum.breakbeat.co.uk/tm.aspx?m=1971705304

He has been caught out before and issued apologies etc a year ago, as well as doing it again in NZ recently.

Interested in what people think of seeing djs doing fake sets using 1 cd mixes/teases etc? Personally I feel its a complete rip for the promoter and punter alike financially and as a performance, as well as that a prerecorded set removes one of the best skills of a dj which is to read the crowd and adjust energy accordingly.

That said, I don't particuarly like his tunes either.

feedingear (experimental, video and film game scoring, dance, artist interviews) www.soundcloud.com/feedingear

Soundfield Studio (recording, mixing, mastering)
http://www.soundfieldstudio.com/

Old 01.11.2009, 10:05 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

did kraftwerk not just let robots do the gig for them? have we not moved on?

at the end of the day its a sound coming out of a speaker. If i wanted performance, i'd go see musicians. DJ'n is the most ridiculous, over-hyped suit of clothes in an old and tired wardrobe.
I live in hope that music-tech will rescue us all, once the playing field has been flattened we can get back to what matters most, music!
Then again, I am quite mad!
Old 01.11.2009, 10:25 PM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Bring on ableton live performances!!
Old 01.11.2009, 10:25 PM
New here
New here

Here's my take:

Yes, the music is what is most important, but so is integrity. If I'm paying money to see one of my favorite djs play music I enjoy, that's exactly what I expect to get. I'm paying to see someone who has elevated his art form or does something unique. Why the hell would I spend money to watch some guy hit play on a cd player and talk on the phone?

DJing is not difficult, at least not in comparison to countless other jobs you could be doing. But if you choose that as a profession and you don't have the common sense to treat it with respect, then you have no business calling yourself a dj in the first place. And you definitely dont have any business conning people out of their hard earned money with your scammy bs.

If you consider djing your "job", then treat it like one. This means you have to work when youre doing it. I can sit on my ass and play a cd while talking on the phone... does that make me a dj? Apparently in this day and age it does.

The point is, there are people who do what they do because they have respect and passion for it. And then there are those that don't. Its a simple balance. You have to decide what side of the scale you want to be on.