Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 08.09.2008, 10:11 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

ha ha , I didn't know those dual female end adapters existed

ok you win

i give up
Old 10.09.2008, 11:46 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Addressing RAM or ROM is much, much faster than pulling data off a removable storage device. Flash ROM essentially allows data to be burnt (in bulk) onto a ROM chip. Furthermore, the flashing process takes time.
It's not a "flash drive", as such. Completely different kettle of fish.

If you were to allow sample uploading via a USB pen-drive or the like, it would have to be burnt to memory (either volatile RAM [meaning that sample data hosted on the Virus will be lost when powered down, and would need to be re-uploaded again next time] or flash ROM) for the Virus to use it. Therefore if you really wanted to use a 1GB of sample data (lol), you'd likely also need 1GB of flash ROM or RAM in there too to copy it to, so it could access the data quickly when needed.

For large-scale sample manipulation, you might as well buy a ROMpler like the Triton/Oasys/M3/Motif/Fantom.

Single-cycle waveforms for wavetables take up a few tens or hundreds of kb.
PCM samples would take up far larger. I think 8mb of flash ROM is a good size for dirty creative sample manipulation, and 8mb wouldn't be too expensive (given that the Virus is now £1700, I'd damn well hope the TI mk2 would do that for that price).

I'm also interested in how Access currently implement their wavetables. I've always thought that, ideally, you'd need to have multisampled waveforms (say, at least one per octave) so they don't chipmonk or alias when pitched up or down, so I imagine the current wavetable implementation may use mathematic vectors or somesuch to possibly create the waveforms?

The standard digital waves in the Virus B have a tendency to sound a little toy-like, so I think they might even be just one single-cycle sample stretched up and down the keyboard.

I hope when they bring out user single-cycle waveforms (for the TI mk2) and you can upload or create your own type of 'saw' wave (say, sampled from a different synth), that it wont sound toy-like, like the other digital waves do.

Longer user-PCMs (say 8mb) would be ace, though.

Here's what the Korg Trinity's 8mb flash ROM playback sampler allowed:-

Multisamples: 100 (max)
Drum samples: 200 (max)
Individual samples: 500 (max) (total includes normal Samples and Drum-samples).

A "sample" merely refers to a single waveform. A "multisample" refers to a collection of samples, key-mapped across the keyboard by the user.

So you could have 500 samples and 100 multisamples and no drum samples. Or you could have 200 drum samples, 300 samples and 100 multisamples. etc.

Samples can be looped or one-shot as desired. (Drum samples are forced one-shot).

Of course you'll never reach using those amounts of numbers unless you're sampling single-cycle waveforms (which you can do on the Trinity) as the 8MB otherwise becomes the limit.