Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 10.11.2004, 08:03 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Ben, I haven't heard anything about a revamped sound, only better specs. When Alesis launched the Ion, their focus was on sound, not specs and polyphony. I would prefer to see Access follow suit, rather than focus on more voices. How many voices of Virus would you want in one song? I like to offset the Virus with my other, different sounding synths.

If you have some info about an oscillator redesign, let us in on it. Otherwise, wouldn't the burden of proof lie with those who assume that the oscs will change? Share the wealth!
Old 10.11.2004, 08:13 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothicIndustrial
If you have some info about an oscillator redesign, let us in on it. Otherwise, wouldn't the burden of proof lie with those who assume that the oscs will change? Share the wealth!
Look - this is what Access say themselves:

"HyperSaw is a multi-sawtooth oscillator."

This, by definition, means that it is a new oscillator model - the fact that it is capable of producing up to 18 saws per voice, without reducing polyphony, proves this. You're assumption that it will sound just like the original Virus saws stacked in unison is just that - an assumption.

The Wavetable oscillator is obviously new as well, so is bound to sound completely different to the original oscillators, otherwise what would be the point?

Ultimately, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating - I have every faith in Access that the pud will be good
Old 10.11.2004, 08:16 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland

This, by definition, means that it is a new oscillator model - the fact that it is capable of producing up to 18 saws per voice, without reducing polyphony, proves this. You're assumption that it will sound just like the original Virus saws stacked in unison is just that - an assumption.
True. Well, hopefully it will be great.

Personally, I'd love to see a non-Virus product from Access, but that's just me.
Old 10.11.2004, 10:10 PM
This forum member lives here

Gothic....dont you have an ION? For some reason I seem to remeber you saying you had one...or used one?

BTW what synths do you use?

As a side note...im interested to know more about the wavetable oscilators. Are they using the same 68 waveforms as in the orginal Virus? Or are there more/different waveforms? When people say the wavetables are sweepable....does that mean the transition between the various waveforms is smooth/seamless? Or does it mean the actual waveform itself is freeley oscilating as oppsed to being static? Its not clear to me what the score is...

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 10.11.2004, 10:44 PM
Pro
Pro

Default TI

As far as the synthesis , is it straight forward substractive? Any improvements on the FM section on TI. AM, additive possible(wavetable), Vocodor???
Old 10.11.2004, 11:19 PM

Check out this JP8000 MP3.....you'll hear a few super saw pads and leads....

The Virus hypersaw...might be heart attack inducing hehe

http://www.sequencer.de/mp/roland/jp8000demo.mp3

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 11.11.2004, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo
Moi Aussi. I'd love to hear more info about this. For example, can you import your own wavetables too?
I've spoken to Juho about this, and he's under the impression it's just a built in rom with no chance of adding your own. Mmmm..fingers crossed though!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 11.11.2004, 01:41 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Gothic....dont you have an ION? For some reason I seem to remeber you saying you had one...or used one?

BTW what synths do you use?
DS
DS, I have a Virus KB, ESQ-1, AX-60, Pulse, Bass Station, JD-990, and ESI-2000. I played with the Ion a bunch of times at Guitar Center, but I don't have one. I was just using it as an example, I didn't really fall in love with it. I think I'm spoiled by the Virus and the Pulse. The Virus is so deep and had such great effects, and the Pulse has such powerful and deep bass, that the Ion left me a little flat. The programming didn't seem as cool as the Virus and the bass couldn't stand up to the Pulse. But I still liked the approach of less poly, more concentration on sound. Also, I've been programming my synths for a while now, and I have very little trigger time with the Ion. Maybe if I played with it a little more I'd like it more.
Old 11.11.2004, 04:53 PM
New here
New here

I dont believe it! I dont come online for a few days and this happens! The new model sounds great. Does almost everything i wish my kc did. Looks like i might have to upgrade. They arent planning another new model any time soon are they? I know a built in sequencer (and sampler!) is a lot to ask for a va synth but maybe i should hold out, just incase :P
Anyone in the uk want to make me an offer for my kc??
Old 12.11.2004, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB
Anyone in the uk want to make me an offer for my kc??
Hehehe.....better start queing now, the line is getting longer

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60