Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 16.11.2004, 06:29 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Default OPTION: VIRUS TI

Hi All. Im new in this forum. I wish to know more about the VIRUS. I do electronic music most of the time but I play other genre as well. So here are my questions:

1. Does the Virus also have good common intrument sounds like piano, guitars, etc?
2. I own a Triton Extreme. Will it be easy to control the Virus using the Triton's sequencer?
3. I know that can better achieve good electronica/analog sounds with Virus and having short in bucks to spend.. do you think it's worth while to sell my Triton and get a Virus TI instead? I will then use my PC to sequence?

Your inputs pls...
Regards!
Old 16.11.2004, 06:48 AM
This forum member lives here

Default Re: OPTION: VIRUS TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulidstate
1. Does the Virus also have good common intrument sounds like piano, guitars, etc?
i havent used a triton im pretty sure its basically a big sampler - so in effect each different patch (or sound) you hear is a well recorded sample that gets played back when you press the keys (the sample's pitch will be determined by the note you play.

the virus is not a sampler as such, it is a virtual analog modelling synthesiser. The virus generates sound, as opposed to just triggering a sample. Through the process of synthesis it is possible to mimic real instruments, however it is a much more complex process than what i think you are used to with the triton.

Quote:
2. I own a Triton Extreme. Will it be easy to control the Virus using the Triton's sequencer?
Yes. But I think you would end up controlling the triton with the virus

Quote:
3. I know that can better achieve good electronica/analog sounds with Virus and having short in bucks to spend.. do you think it's worth while to sell my Triton and get a Virus TI instead? I will then use my PC to sequence?
if you really need sampled instrument sounds then buy some sample cds, or better still learn to play an instrument (or befriend someone who already can)

My suggestion - if you really have to sell the triton to get the TI - I say do it. You wont be dissappointed [/quote]
Old 16.11.2004, 07:04 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Thanks Blay. So basically the Virus is a "RAW" synth. RAW in a sense that the sounds are unlike a usual synth where sounds are sampled intrument s and you have to program your own sound.

My follow up questions are:

1.Does it have at least drum kits?

Quote:
Yes. But I think you would end up controlling the triton with the virus
2.Do you mean to say, I can use the filters to control the triton's sounds?

3. Is a Virus and a sequencer basicallly enough a set up to create music?

4. I understand that you have to program your own patch to achieve good sounds or you can upload program sets available. Is that right?

...More quetions to follow. 8O
Old 16.11.2004, 07:31 AM

Quote:
the virus stores patches in banks. the new TI will apparently have categorised banks within the software editor, so for instance one bank might be drums, one might be bass sounds etc

Quote:
the TI can operate in remote mode, which gives you a number of templates to control various softsynths (and hardware va's as well i spose - access will release this info soon im sure)
it also has audio inputs, so you can run the audio signal of your triton through the fx and filters of the virus to create your sound.

Quote:
definately

Quote:
4. I understand that you have to program your own patch to achieve good sounds or you can upload program sets available. Is that right?
the TI will ship with 2048 patches. im sure there will be a couple of decent ones there.
dont rely on presets. do some reading on subtractive synthesis then go tweak crazy

Quote:
...More questions to follow.
considering you are fairly new to the virus range, i would suggest downloading a manual of the previous series to see what its all about. There is pdf on the new series available at the access website.
I hope this info has been useful...
Old 16.11.2004, 07:41 AM

Default Re: OPTION: VIRUS TI

Quote:
Nup, the Virus doesn't do "real" instruments very well at all. A sampler or rompler is your best bet here. I'm sure your Triton has a few good "real" sounds on board though.

Quote:
Yep, shouldn't be any problem. Haven't heard of that many people sequencing from a triton though honestly.

Quote:
I don't think you should sell the Triton if you are thinking you can get similar sounds out the Virus. The Virus (being a VA) does not do certain things that you could do with the Triton. Very different machines.

Quote:
It can do if you program them. Nothing beats a sampler for snares and cymbals in my opinon though. The Virus is quite nice for heavy kicks and stuff though.

Quote:
Not completely sure what you mean by this, but you can run sounds from the Triton (or any external source) into the Virus and have the Virus filters filter the Triton sound. You can also use the Virus effects over external sounds too if you want. If you go to the soundclick link in my signature you can hear a few demos "heavy electronic" of a guitar sound mixed with 2 other synths all going through the Virus filters and FX.

Quote:
That depends on what sort of music you're into. I would say no though.

Quote:
One thing with the Virus series is that there are many usable sounds straight out of the box. I tend to be a bit pureist in this matter though - meaning I like to program most of my own sounds.

Hope this helps.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 16.11.2004, 07:47 AM

Hey, looks like Blay and I are online at the same time! Hi mate.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 16.11.2004, 08:10 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Thanks Blay and HC. I now have a better idea what a Virus is all about aside from those infecting PC.

I'll check out the manual. . .
Old 16.11.2004, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowcell
Hey, looks like Blay and I are online at the same time! Hi mate.
classic HC. i was reading through your response thinking - isnt he pretty much saying what i just said?
whats even funnier is the fact that while i was writing my response i thought 'this is taking me a while - if someone else has already posted this is going to sound useless'
Old 16.11.2004, 01:11 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Definitely think twice before selling your Triton. The money you'd make from selling it wouldn't be enough to justify the sale IMO.

The Triton Extreme is good at what it does - it's a powerful machine. It also makes a good controller.

If you could afford to have both, I'd say the combination of Triton and Virus covers a lot of ground.

I have a Triton Extreme keyboard which I use as my master controller. It's also there for when I'm playing more conventional gigs where I want stock sounds.

In the studio, I'm more likely to use soft-samplers for Triton type stuff, but I'm currently loath to use soft-synths/samplers live.
Old 16.11.2004, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purusha
If you could afford to have both, I'd say the combination of Triton and Virus covers a lot of ground.
i agree - but if it has to be one or the other - get the TI, get tweaking and before you know it some original sounds may start making their way into your music