Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 28.02.2006, 06:17 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Dunkel
I can live with the cable mess I like the challange in getting everything cabled corectly together (hmm, where does this cable go)
Get a patch bay or two...

Just about every audio cable in that shot goes through one of the two patch bays that are hidden at the bottom.

Only downside with the MD is ive run out of channels again (with no expansion option this time) so need another patch bay which means another weekend making cables - Grrr
Old 28.02.2006, 06:39 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Get a patch bay or two...
I bought one a few weeks ago and are just about finished setting it up. Just need to buy a few more cables (danm cables are expensive) and routing signals will be peice of cake (compered to the mayhem before)

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 28.02.2006, 11:13 PM

You really have some great stuff there Khazul!

I watched the sonic state V-drum movie thingy a few weeks ago and it made me want a set ever since. Can't play real drums very well, but man I love to hit things that make sound!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 28.02.2006, 11:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

When I bought the V-Drum kit I had been really only looking for a very cheapo drum kit style controller for the Reason Drum kits - like that cheap Alesis Ion kit for eg.

Then I quickly realised they were crap and went off the idea - I knew about the roland kits and yamaha kits at the time, but thought they were way too expensive for someone who had never even had a go on a drum kit, and I only needed a controller.

Anyway - I was in this shop that had a TD6-KV on demo was curious etc, the guy gave me a quick demo and told me had had only just started to play since he worked in the shop - well I thought he sounded pretty good.

So he leaves me to it - 2 hours later I was still messing with the thing and ending up buying a kit - just something I realy took to. Ive had it for about 9 months now, still havnt had a lesson, dont play ever day either, but I play nearly all my drums on tracks now from 85 bpm slow hip-pop beats upto drum and bass style stuff upto around 140bpm, breaks from 120-135 and a load of other stuff in between. Im still along way off being good enough to play in a band though.

I still havnt quite got the hand of triplets, but the real point I can lay down enough of a groove to use it with only a little tweaking and then layer programmed stuff over it. Its also taught me alot about making really convincing programmed beats as well - I quite like to layer programmed with played - gives a nice rich texture to the end result.

TBH the getting the MD was a toss up between selling the TD6KV and buying a TD12KV or hugely expanding my options for pattern based drums - I figured I have the best of both worlds now as I can use the drum kit to play the MD as well and of course the MD adds a huge pallete of drum sounds and I really missed having my old TR606

If you fancy it - give it a go - its one of the most enjoyable bits of kit I have - sure it takes years to become a good live drummer, but for studio use, most reasonably co-ordinated musicians should be able to get productive quite quickly with it.