Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 26.01.2005, 10:12 PM

Default USB 1.0

Hey I've been following all the Access Virus TI stuff since November.

Saw the video...

The guy fits like 9 saws on one osc, 9 saws on osc 2, and 9 squares on the sub osc and says its about 30 voices.... okay cool, and thats 1 multitimbral part....

How are you gonna be able to send all the MIDI data and all the audio data thru that little USB 1.0 cable? especially if you are using all of your polyphony with effects etc.
Old 26.01.2005, 10:20 PM
This forum member lives here

A good, relevant question. Maybe someone from access can post a response to that shortly

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.01.2005, 10:24 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Re: USB 1.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid1
Hey I've been following all the Access Virus TI stuff since November.

Saw the video...

The guy fits like 9 saws on one osc, 9 saws on osc 2, and 9 squares on the sub osc and says its about 30 voices.... okay cool, and thats 1 multitimbral part....

How are you gonna be able to send all the MIDI data and all the audio data thru that little USB 1.0 cable? especially if you are using all of your polyphony with effects etc.
The kind of sound you play, and the number of voices will have no effect on the size of the audio data stream - it doesn't work like that (AFAIK)

By the way, I was playing 9 saws + 9 subs, on both main oscillators in unison (twin) mode to get down to the 30 or so voices. That amounts to 72 oscillators per note played (Osc2 also has suboscillators in Hypersaw mode).
Old 26.01.2005, 10:46 PM

Well I was bored and did a little computation...

44.1khz at 16bit is roughly 1.411 megs per sec...

Usb 1.1 is roughly 12Mbits per second which is 4 megs per sec

I'm guessing you could have AT LEAST twice the resolution without breaking a sweat, if your USB cable was plugged into its own bus...

most usb mice and keyboards take up about 1 meg per second when they are being used, so it looks like all us future Access TI ppl should get new USB cards in 40 days or whatever just for the synth...

if it works this way

THANK you for your response Ben Crosland, since the video you've become a hero to us all!
Old 26.01.2005, 11:09 PM
Pro
Pro

I don't understand how that is possible Ben, please don't get me wrong, I believe you but could you please elaborate on how the type of sound or number of voices doesn't effect the USB?

Also, I believe alot of other ppl on here are wondering just which parts of the system the CPU will be handling and which parts are processed internally in the TI.

Is the interface strictly midi type information?
Old 26.01.2005, 11:28 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
I don't understand how that is possible Ben, please don't get me wrong, I believe you but could you please elaborate on how the type of sound or number of voices doesn't effect the USB?

Also, I believe alot of other ppl on here are wondering just which parts of the system the CPU will be handling and which parts are processed internally in the TI.

Is the interface strictly midi type information?
It should only be the number of output channels which determines the amount of data, not the number of voices used. Whether you play 0, 1 or 80 voices, if they are all sent to one output channel, the amount of audio data should remain the same, surely?

As Marc pointed out in another thread, the CPU will only be handling the streaming of the data itself, whilst the TI will handle all of the sound creation itself. CPU load will therefore be minimal.
Old 26.01.2005, 11:34 PM
Pro
Pro

Of Course!

That makes perfect sense, thanks Ben.

In my experience, the volume can actually alter the amount of data in any audio stream. But yeah, voices won't make a difference to the usb or the pc. Just to the TI.
Old 27.01.2005, 07:19 AM

Hence the reason the TI USB is more than ample......

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 27.01.2005, 02:42 PM
Definately caught something...
Very mucho Newbie

I apologize if this has already been answered or discuessed someplace else but I was wondering, does the audio that is streamed back to the virus always routed to the master outs?

Reason I ask is that I was trying to think of a way to use the internal effects and filters of the Virus TI on audio that originates from the computer. Or is the au/VST plugin designed only for midi data at this point? Just curious....

thanks!
Old 27.01.2005, 02:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

I think that people have a bit of a problem understanding exactly how it works since it's something so fresh and so ahead of the competition.

Well done Access!