Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 26.04.2005, 03:25 AM

Default USB blah blah blah

There has been a debate about the USB 1.0 spec for a while, Marc Schlaile on the access list had this to say about the USB:

Quote:
the access website clearly states that the TI is an USB2 compatible device
with a communication speed of 12mbit. the reasons behind the implementation
were discussed on this list before and instead of going though it all again,
please read the list's archive first.

as for a successor for the TI, yes there probably will be something in a
couple of years (see Virus A, B, C) but for those who want the new
oscillators, all the delays, the programmable arp and the voice count etc.
etc. etc. maybe it's worth not entirely focusing on having 16 discreet
channel.

right now you get

2x stereo channels to the virus control
3x stereo analog outs

12 mbits allow up to 4 stereo channels in parallel, so the theoretical count
including the analog outs would be 7 stereo or 14 mono.

I agree that more is (nearly) always better but since we decided that the
successor of a previous virus should not be more expensive than the previous
model, some compromises had to be made.

so there you have it
Old 26.04.2005, 08:50 AM
This forum member lives here

I'm gonna get a N2X and wait for Access to release a synth where No Compromises have been made......

Its obvious that a TI MKii is going to come out......who in their right mind wants to buy a TI now.....particularly when the 'total integration' side of things have been publicly desimated? It comes down to this really.....do you want to spend ?1500 now on 4 stereo channels over USB....or wait 2 yrs and get all 16 stereo channels?

You do the maths.....you know what will happen. You'll get the TI for a while then as soon as the new one comes out....off go the mind loops.....and you'll be sitting at your desk at work thinking about how you could justify yet more money into the synth....

But then again......fuck the Integration/USB and just use the synth as a powerful VA. Personally I fall within this bracket of customer....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.04.2005, 09:25 AM

well it still has the analog outs and spdif

what comprimes, do you want an individual channel per multi all over usb? imagine the work load on the dsp chips

plus they said the next ti won't come out for a few years

anyways digital, thats like the most negative i've seen you so far on this board, you alright?
Old 26.04.2005, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acid1
well it still has the analog outs and spdif

what comprimes, do you want an individual channel per multi all over usb? imagine the work load on the dsp chips

plus they said the next ti won't come out for a few years

anyways digital, thats like the most negative i've seen you so far on this board, you alright?
Can the Total Integration bit still be used in its truest form if you use the analog outs? I thought it was only for the audio run over USB?

Yes Acid.....it was a negative post. In fact the last 5 posts by me have been quite negative. Im just pissed off with the world.....uni exams and all that. I just want the TI shipped and in my hands.....waiting 6 months has been a real challenge for me....

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 26.04.2005, 12:00 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I think anyone waiting for the TI (especially people who have pre-ordered) have every right to be completely pissed off.

ten
Old 26.04.2005, 01:25 PM
Pro
Pro

USB1 is not cheaper to do than USB2 (or maybe $5 cheaper per synth so it has no effect on anything but designing). We're talking about synth which will cost over 2000 euros and still no usb2 or firewire! Using the USB1 because of expenses is not a good excuse at this price level. Why doesn't motu and rme use usb1 in their audio interfaces? Those things are even cheaper than the Virus TI and they use firewire! Even the firewire wouldn't cost much more. We're talking about +/- $20 here (usb1 vs. usb2 vs. firewire).
Old 26.04.2005, 01:34 PM

agreed, I would have gladly paid extra to have usb 2 on the TI
Old 26.04.2005, 02:00 PM
New here
New here

Agreed. Perhaps Access should consider a name change to Virus PI: Partly Integrated?

Physically having a USB2/Firewire can't cost noticably more to implement can it? I'm guessing there are programming difficulties or something...

Using half a dozen patches or so, then having to sub group them just to get into the VST environment seems pretty crippled. No wonder they went for true multipart effects - you'll need them.
Old 26.04.2005, 03:46 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl
Agreed. Perhaps Access should consider a name change to Virus PI: Partly Integrated?
Ugh. Guys, sure all 16 channels over USB would be nice, and if Access' intention was to release this version then several months later release a slightly better model in hopes of getting your money again, that would be worth bitching over. But they made a business decision, decided they couldn't get 16 channels at the price they wanted, and did what they could -- and have now publically stated they plan on following the traditional release cycle of every several years. None of us knows the real technical reasons for this -- you can pull out costs on USB ports all you want but none of us has designed a hardware synth that streams audio data over USB, so either start claiming Access is just flat out lying about costs and has a hidden agenda or please try to drop it.

The thing that's really getting me is that no VST I use has 16 stereo outs. I drop down Halion in a track, I use the first pair of outs, occasionally the second -- but it only has 3 total. Same deal with absynth and z3ta and all the other softsynths I use. I've never once said "DAMN if only I had 10 more pairs of stereo outs."

Sure, it'd be nice. Sure everyone wants it. But it's not in this generation of hardware. Either use what's there or wait for the next.
Old 26.04.2005, 04:04 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

everybody seems to sum up the new virus to few USB stuff.
We have what we always dreamt of, seperate delay/reverb, more poly, more waveforms, wavetable, a bigger LCD, hey!! forgot all this?