Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 27.04.2005, 09:46 PM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopal
You people are all so concerned about the USB thing. I just don't get it. It might be nice to see all your synth channels up on the screen in front of you, but if you are running your audio down USB, then you might as well be using a softsynth because you will no longer be getting the benefits of an output stage and some voltage running through your sound which is what gives hardware that raw edge to its sound
Voltage doesnt effect the 'sound' of a digital signal does it? I think your thinking about true analogs synths here......

But as a side note......

Maybe we shouldnt complain about stereo outs over USB......most synth sounds *should* be recorded in mono....esp bass and leads. Pads benefit from stereo......question still arises....how much Virus do you want in one song. Personally, any more than 2 sounds in one song kinda makes a song boring. I say this even when considering Prophets and Jupiters.... More than 3 sounds from the same synth is not a good thing. So if you could have 16 channels over USB...would you use them all. Thats the question ive been asking myself. Maybe we should just except it

Well, you can tell ive been working overtime to rationalise my own concerns carn't you hehe

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 27.04.2005, 09:53 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl
You're missing my point: Zeta/Absynth are single monotimbral synths, and therefore don't need more than one output. Halion, Kontakt etc are multitimbral
You're right, it was stupid to use zeta and absynth as examples. My mistake. But halion and all other multitimbral softsynths are still perfectly good examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl
and you're not going to get very far trying to run drums, plus a few sample libraries out the same output, expecting to EQ and effect them individually using your favourite plugins.
The point is that people have been doing exactly this for decades now without serious issue. Long before softsynths came along, we've still had multitimbral hardware synths with only 2 to 6 outputs, but I've never once seen someone complain because the Virus C only has 6 analog outs, and is therefore only 'partially integrated' with their 16 channel mixer.

You can still apply exactly the same techniques -- you can record 2 channels at a time and use effects at will. It will just be more convenient now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl
All I'm saying is it's a shame that it looks as though TI will be limited in this respect, as having access to all the synths parts within a VST environment would have been superb. It's not Total Integration if two-thirds of the synth aren't integrated. I'm sure it'll be a great synth, but as a musician primarily working with software I'm sure you can understand this is my main concern.
I absolutely understand it's an issue -- I had the very same reaction when I first found out. And I know I shouldn't have said anything, since some people are just discovering the limitations and some will never get over it and there's nothing to be done about that. I just got frustated is all -- this coincided with a long complaint section on the access mailing list and I'm a little tired of the focus on an issue that is well known and thoroughly discussed. But my apologies for jumping at you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl
For ?1500 you'll have to excuse me for wanting to know why Firewire/USB2 isn't feasible.
I understand you wanting to know, but what are you expecting at this point? Access' product management schedule? Technical design documents? They've stated plainly that the costs made it infeasible. I understand everyone would like to know more than that but after 3 months of talking about this I suspect they've said about as much as they're going to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csl
I'd rather they make another version that's just 2-part multitimbral with VST integration and cut the price to under a grand.
That's cool. I wanted something that's exactly like the desktop but 1U, no hardware UI and US$1200.

On the bright side of all this, maybe if they stretch out this release long enough firewire will be feasible...

That's a joke. I'm not an emoticon sort of person.
Old 27.04.2005, 10:03 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
.how much Virus do you want in one song. Personally, any more than 2 sounds in one song kinda makes a song boring. I say this even when considering Prophets and Jupiters.... More than 3 sounds from the same synth is not a good thing. So if you could have 16 channels over USB...would you use them all.
That's the most sensible thing you've said all week, DS

Seriously though, that's a damn good point. No-one in their right mind would really want to make an arrangement entirely from the same synth, unless they were a) making a demo for it, b) just trying out their new toy, or c) finding out that their first synthesizer isn't going to be their last..
Old 27.04.2005, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
That's the most sensible thing you've said all week, DS
Hehe

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 27.04.2005, 11:23 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Its about having the option.

I personally could quite easily use all 16 sounds in one song. This is not over saturating a song with the same synth at all.

The market is moving towards more realtime producing, as in people dont want to sit there recording tracks, loading a different sound, recording another etc. They want everything running at once in realtime.

The 16 sounds I would split up obviously. You could simply have the virus doing the pads for a song and then 15 other sounds like effects, abstract sounds, percussion etc....all kinds of things that you might of recorded before and used as audio files.

Anyhow, its not going to happen, we are stuck with 2 or 3 or whatever stereo streams it is over a poorly choosen usb1 speed interface, and will be stuck with it till the next virus so we may aswell get used to it.

ten
Old 28.04.2005, 12:59 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Quote:
Its about having the option.

I personally could quite easily use all 16 sounds in one song. This is not over saturating a song with the same synth at all.

The market is moving towards more realtime producing, as in people dont want to sit there recording tracks, loading a different sound, recording another etc. They want everything running at once in realtime.
Precisely. not to mention the fact that you might just like the delay and reverb for a certain patch to be sent in a different audio stream from the dry signal in order to achieve different processing flexibilities (still not sure if it would be even possible on the TI). So I could definitely see my self using 16 outputs and even more if possible (don't want to be too greedy, though.. ).

BTW, this is my first post in this nice forum (a long time lurker, though). Hi all!

Best,
midi.
Old 28.04.2005, 01:30 AM

I think every VST loader on the market can only output 2 channels of audio, correct me if i'm wrong......

Yes you can have 16 parts of the virus in the vst plugin, but the output of the VST loader mixes them into 2 channels anyways
Old 28.04.2005, 04:53 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Quote:
You people are all so concerned about the USB thing. I just don't get it. It might be nice to see all your synth channels up on the screen in front of you, but if you are running your audio down USB, then you might as well be using a softsynth because you will no longer be getting the benefits of an output stage and some voltage running through your sound which is what gives hardware that raw edge to its sound
Voltage doesnt effect the 'sound' of a digital signal does it? I think your thinking about true analogs synths here......
What I'm referring to is that there is a pre-amp driving the output stage of the Virus, which has voltage running through it, and this is one of the key differences between softsynths and hardware synths seeing as the sounds are all generated by DSPs these days.

Without that physical output stage, what's the difference between hardware and software? Fuck all.

I work in the hi-fi industry, so trust me when I say that every piece of circuitry, every capacitor, every power supply and every pre-amp leaves its own imprint on the sound.
Old 28.04.2005, 05:00 AM

Quote:
I work in the hi-fi industry, so trust me when I say that every piece of circuitry, every capacitor, every power supply and every pre-amp leaves its own imprint on the sound.
Yep - a piece of audio gear is only as good as the weakest link in its signal path.

cheers

blay
Old 28.04.2005, 09:26 AM

Quote:
One of my hobbies is high end hi-fi (well not true high end). You heard of Exposure? Talk Electronics? Great systems for sensible money ($10,000AUD, $10,500NZD, $7,600USD, ?4000, 5,600EUROS)

http://www.talkelectronics.com/index.html

DS