Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 04.06.2007, 09:09 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Default Virus Parameter Values? 1-127 instead of cents\Hz\ms

The one thing i dont like about the virus is that all parameters display 1-127 instead of telling us the true value

eg If i detune an OSC it doesnt go in cents, Setting a LFO doesnt go in Hz
Analog Boost doesnt display any frequency values, Chorus delay doesnt show ms and so on

Im just wondering if anyone else finds this awkward?

Does anyone here know how the 1-127 values relate to these real values?
It would be useful to know
Old 04.06.2007, 09:41 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@wtooth View Post
The one thing i dont like about the virus is that all parameters display 1-127 instead of telling us the true value

eg If i detune an OSC it doesnt go in cents, Setting a LFO doesnt go in Hz
Analog Boost doesnt display any frequency values, Chorus delay doesnt show ms and so on

Im just wondering if anyone else finds this awkward?

Does anyone here know how the 1-127 values relate to these real values?
It would be useful to know
I haven´t really thought about it much. It is afterall a digital synth so i found i normal that the values where in 7 bit numbers. This is why the values are 0-127 or -63/0/+64 (7 bit = 128 posibilities). 0-127 (not 1-127) relates to the "real word" (analogue world) this way: 0 = 0% and 127 = 100%. I sugest that you use your ears and forget about what the display says...
By the way; delay time DOES show in ms and so does reverb time (except if it´s syncronized to clock)...

http://www.myspace.com/onkeldunkeldk
Old 18.06.2007, 07:31 AM
New here
New here

It's funny that you just posted this because I was coming here to post something I just discovered online that is relative to this topic. I bought a book called Fred Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook. It's the only book I've ever read on synthesis that covers reverse engineering of patches using harmonic analysis and contains a thorough patch section (half the book) that applies to any 2-osc synth. But, the part that has interested me the most, is the section on synthesizer calibration. It always bothered me that all of my synths use MIDI values 0..127 or even odder ones (ie DSI Evolver) that don't directly correspond to actual values that they represent (Hz, ms, etc..). I discovered that with a little clever programming and a decent sound editor or analyzer (I'm using VisualAnalyser and Sound Forge), you can calibrate any of your synths and figure out what settings the filter cutoff to 64 really means. Anyway, I'm hoping others will buy this book and share their settings. They have a yahoo group (synthcookbook), but it doesn't get much traffic and most of the members are newbies using soft synths for the first time. It's fun calibrating my synths and discovering things like the difference between LFO range across the Virus, X-Station, and Evolver. Also, this book has an excellent primer on subtractive synthesis for anyone getting started in patch programming or for people like me that need a good refresher after relying on presets for so long. Anyways, here are my initial findings from a quick calibration I performed last night:

Access Virus b
Filter Cutoff Range
127 - 20 kHz
96 - 4540 kHz
80 - 1900 Hz
64 - 783 Hz
48 - 340 Hz
32 - 140 Hz
LFO Range
127 - 45.45 Hz
96 - 10.5 Hz
64 - 2.1 Hz