Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 05.02.2013, 09:42 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Panel discussion on MIDI (with Dave Smith)

http://youtu.be/SFIZc7IMzyA
Old 06.02.2013, 09:33 AM
Pro
Pro

Yeah, had seen this, and must tell you I have been an Allan Parsons fanboy for MANY years! Was fortunate in able to see Allan Parsons Project at one of their rare live tours 19 years ago. He also having engineered Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of The Moon", among other landmark projects like A. Stewart's "Year of The Cat"; was indeed a panel of powerful Cultural Creatives, except, forgive me as I mean absolutely no disrespect, but other than probably having even his undergarments paid for by Korg, why is it that even Keyboard Mag's top greatest synthesis keyboardists of all time, ALSO included (goatman) Jordan Rudess, YET ALWAYS pass-over a STILL LIVING LEGEND of the likes of my favorite Englishman, KEITH EMERSON????! (of Emerson Lake and Palmer, for you younger whippersnappers!) "Brain Salad Surgery" and "Tarkus" totally display Emerson's ability to inject jazz and prog rock while having octopae arms and hands to play indeed like a great "Mad Synthesis Scientist"!!
May I also inject that the idea of 'MIDI' let alone a 'MIDI STANDARD' was/is such a landmark part of 'Syntheis 101' ALSO for fact of ALL manufacturers to collaborate and get past propriatorial egos and work together!! In all of midi's inherent complicity, it is also such a fundamental concept based on zero and one's, it's amazing that it remains relatively unchanged since 1981-ish!
Thanks for sharing this and would be really cool to compile 'sticky threads' on ALL musician forums, helping people understand a sort of "Synthesis 101 and 102 History"~!
Old 28.04.2014, 07:25 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
In all of midi's inherent complicity, it is also such a fundamental concept based on zero and one's, it's amazing that it remains relatively unchanged since 1981
I absolutely do not want to counteract against this thread, so I won't comment on that fact, that nearly no improvement was done with that protocol, unlike with some many other serial connection standards. Details here:
http://96khz.org/oldpages/limitsofmidi.htm