Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 14.01.2015, 12:09 AM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default hardware step sequencer

hi to all!
I searching for some hardware able to sequence my virus. any suggestion?
i was thinking about a roland mc or an electribe, but I don t know if I can use them only with the virus engine excluding the sound of the other machine. only midi message for the sequencer. a thing like this..
thanks in advice
Old 14.01.2015, 02:50 PM
This forum member lives here

Is the goal to completely eliminate the use of a laptop or computer? Or is the goal simply to have a good hardware interface for sequencing without relying on mouse and keyboard?

Because if the latter, Native Instruments Maschine works well as a step sequencer, with a single USB cable going into the laptop from each Maschine and the Virus it would not be too intrusive or "computer feeling" and you can do everything you need to do from the hardware. I use Maschine in step mode all the time, it's fantastic.

Then slowly over time you would be mind-blown by all the other stuff you can do with Maschine besides sequence, like it could serve as your sampler for bouncing down your Virus sounds and keeping them there, freeing up voices on the Virus for other things if you wanted. Then you'd discover all the sounds that come with it, how easy it is to do automation etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--b8iue5lAk

The Mikros are very cost effective, however if the goal is to do a lot of work with only the hardware controller I'd probably get Studio for the better displays and more controls.

If the presence of a computer must be avoided then I dunno, something like Electribe like you said, or Akai Rhythm Wolf maybe.

I should probably add this would be a good solution IMO when used with Virus Control, and I'm assuming that the VST can integrate with Maschine like any other VST does (not sure, someone would have to verify but I don't think it would be a problem).

If you have an older Virus model with no VC plug-in, it may or may not still be a good option, but I would definitely recommend researching it.
Old 14.01.2015, 08:42 PM
Complete Newbie

Hi anfD thank you so much for the reply!!! well, with your word I understand that I miss to say something important...
I own a Virus ti2 and i use Logic pro on a Mac through an Edirol Ua25... I have also a mixer and I run other other hardware and so on...
My goal is to eliminate my personal pc for compose and keep it only for the recording. I searching for some hardware with a pattern and a song mode that can run the 16chan of the Virus engine... like a groovebox, to create a thing like a groovebox. You have find words better than mine to describe my purpose but im not english native and so it is...
At this point I don t know any hardware that can make my dream come true
thank you my friend I waiting to read some new about this!
thanks
also im checking now the rithm wolf...
Old 14.01.2015, 08:47 PM
Complete Newbie

hey! it seems what im searching for!!!!
Old 14.01.2015, 10:16 PM

Yeah, now that I understand your need a little better Maschine might not be what you want -- I'm not sure how operating 16 MIDI channels independently with it would work. It probably can do it, but I think you'd need to insert a plugin wrapper from your DAW into Maschine via VST.

Maybe all you need is something like Arturia Beatstep? They are only about $100, pretty barebones sequencing fare, I think you would only use the software to configure it in that case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5xUzqT37wk
Old 14.01.2015, 10:53 PM
Complete Newbie

Yeah I'm not sure too... Let me see this little bit step
Old 15.01.2015, 03:43 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by markosub79@gmail.com View Post
I searching for some hardware with a pattern and a song mode that can run the 16chan of the Virus engine... like a groovebox, to create a thing like a groovebox. .
An old Akai MPC would do what you want but getting the virus to play all 16 parts at once is almost impossible. Even with relatively simple patches you might get 7-8 parts playing at most (even less with the snow)before it runs out of polyphony.
Old 15.01.2015, 05:40 PM
New here
New here

The best hardware step sequencer in my opinion is the Cirklon (www.cirklon.com), I use it to run my desktop Virus Ti and a Polar Ti2 - and everything else in the studio. No latency - perfect timing all the time, and up to 64 tracks.
Its not cheap but I think its excellent value - and if you have less to spend you could look for a 2nd hand P3 sequencer (made by the same fella).
Old 15.01.2015, 09:07 PM
Complete Newbie

Mhm... I want to use all (of most of the 16 midi chan) i Think beat step is quite limited.. what do you think about TonoriOn? It seems works as I'm searching...
look
http://youtu.be/ho1ueE1XL-g
but I don't have understand how mani midi chan he can drive and how it works... tomorrow ill check..
see ya
Old 15.01.2015, 10:38 PM

Those Tenori-On things are kind of a gimmicky specialty gadget, not a traditional sequencer like I believe you want.

But if that sort of thing appeals to you I'd just get an iPad (if you don't already have one), one of those MIDI interfaces for the iPad, and one of the many sequencing apps that are available. It just depends on what you mean by a "hardware only" sequencer. The idea of "hardware only" doesn't really exist with most of these devices anyway. It also depends on how much you're willing to spend. Tenori-On seems like kind of a limited, expensive iPad-like solution to me.