Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Trouble with your Access Virus?

Trouble with your Access Virus? Here you can get help when you have trouble or just don't know what to do.

Old 18.06.2012, 10:02 AM
New here
New here

Default outputting my virus

Hey all,

I have a virus Ti that Ive been using with Virus Control. I also have an apollo audio interface and was wondering what the best way to get the BEST overall sound quality out of my virus?

My virus is plugged into my computer via USB and I run everything through my DAW (Logic). However, I was just wondering, and correct me if this makes no sense, but would it be better to connect TRSs out of my virus to my apollo to get a better overall sound? Or will simply running Virus control through Logic be fine?

Im using my virus strictly for production and not for a live situation.

Please any help is appreciated. I'm just wondering if I should connect the outs of my virus to an IN of my apollo, or if its not necessary.
Old 18.06.2012, 04:02 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Try connecting by using S/PDIF which will give you the same digital quality you're getting with USB, but maybe with better reliability (if you have issues with USB audio)

I don't think it's good idea to connect the Virus with TRS because you're introducing D/A conversion from Virus to analog outputs and then the interface is performing another A/D conversion to get the audio inside. By using S/PDIF, there's no need to perform those conversions
Old 18.06.2012, 04:04 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

When you use the USB connection, you are bypassing the D/A conversion in the Virus so in theory gives the best sound.

However always use your ears...if routing the Virus analog outs through the Apollo sounds better to you, then it is better.
Old 18.06.2012, 07:15 PM
New here
New here

well im pretty much only using the virus when i run logic and my logics outs are routed to my apollo which then routes to my monitors. i guess im just a litle concerned that the small USB that connects my virus to my computers is good enough to transmit the best audio quality.

im also not entirely sure how i would get the overall output to the TRSs, when virus control takes precedence and converts everything to midi. sorry for the somewhat odd question. I just bought a machinedrum and it routes a little differently and i just want sure how the virus would compare. thanks for the help guys. much appreciated
Old 18.06.2012, 10:13 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

With what you have (the UA Apollo looks a fantastic soundcard) I'd definately personally use the Virus TRS outs instead of USB.

The Virus TI TRS D/A outputs work at up to 192KHz @ 24-bits, which is far superior to the 44.1KHz @ 16-bit of the signal transferred via TI USB connection.
Old 19.06.2012, 06:14 AM
New here
New here

thank you all for your help. much appreciated