Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 22.07.2004, 07:43 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

i think trance is just a starting point,for me anything to move into something different in a few years
recordings i hope
big production which doesnt have to be pop music.
for example-i saw alot of trance people who were very successful and moved into rock over the years.
Old 23.07.2004, 02:38 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

http://www.di.fm/edmguide/edmguide.html
________
Magic Flight

Last edited by saba : 26.04.2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 25.02.2005, 07:22 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to emperor

In the 70's the markets for music and the massive record companies didnt have strategys as honed for marketing a particular style of music, we had all sorts of music in the charts at that time, and also because the average musician who made it, had that little bit extra, those that didnt , didnt have the ability to make trance tunes, anywhere near the quality of the professional, which we can do now. Home recording was a luxury.

So only those that excelled in their field ever got a look in, as far as raw talent and ideas rather than flashy sounds, that short term flatter to decieve. And as such true talent was given more goodies to make them shine. Now its easier to make very good music, but even for them times, its still exceptionally hard to make great music.

As now market forces are the crux of all profit anything that is popular is king, trance is popular so what do we have, loads of companys making grooveboxes and VA,s to satisfy the markets, a truly genuine instrument as in the past, the Kawai K5000s, The Wavestation, the Fizmo, all something different but never shifted as much as The M1,s and D50,s, and so whatever music is popular will reflect in what synths they make at the time. So the music is uniformaic, and an endless amount of those who buy these machines have dreams of doing well working with the same old machines. And so people do not have access to original music, R&B, Rap, Trance, its all lifestyle music, and a fashion ringing out the coffersnecks long after the death of it. So dull. Take that Groovebox, and instead of using the patterns, and sounds edit something original, make something different to all the others. We have a society of clones where nothing is original, music ideally has run its course as in innovations, where does it go from here. We are all semi controlled and forced into decisions of limited choice, there is nothing new as were told what to like and what to do, so what is the creations of that society going to be?. I suppose the only thing to do is regardless of what is fashionable, if trance or folk, or hip hop is in your soul, you have to be true to what you love.

Not what you think people will love.

i still do think there is some amazing original artists out there its just with the internet, and lots of other telecommunications, the world has got more a saturation of dross. Take your virus C, and forget that it ever made dance music.

I agree with what was said before, its not that a classical trained musician, could do something original, as they are learnt by a certain code. You just need to express your originality and personality, or your feelings in music.

i do and its Shit!!

Sorry couldnt resist, he he he , By the way i wont ever say im original and that my music is great, cause its so easy to slate music rather than make a great peice of music. I look forward to being poor for the rest of my life, lol
Old 25.02.2005, 08:24 PM

well face it people like to copy!
fasion
hairstyle
walk
talk
art (music included)

this is what society is based on,it seems that we have a need to copy and when some originator apears he is called "one of a kind" or "unique" some things should be taken as they are.
Old 25.02.2005, 11:27 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I have a Dawinist theory of musical tastes. When there's a fresh new style it's like an infectious virus, it realy takes off. After a while people build up a resistance to the sound so it has to mutate a little bit to keep being fresh. If you straight out copy something it's going to have no effect, so if you mutate it a little you can re-infect. Also if you invent a whole new strain from scratch (i,e, synth pop with 6 and a half beats using trombones for drums) your going to have to be utterly brilliant to take control of the masses.

So from a scale of clone=1 to trombone for drums=10 you have to aim somewhere in the mutate scale where you think you might be of most use to society. I move around the scale alot, I always avoid 1 but seem to drift closer to it and see the sense of catching the right infectious parts of some styles at times.
Old 26.02.2005, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs
I have a Dawinist theory of musical tastes. When there's a fresh new style it's like an infectious virus, it realy takes off. After a while people build up a resistance to the sound so it has to mutate a little bit to keep being fresh. If you straight out copy something it's going to have no effect, so if you mutate it a little you can re-infect. Also if you invent a whole new strain from scratch (i,e, synth pop with 6 and a half beats using trombones for drums) your going to have to be utterly brilliant to take control of the masses.
great analogy!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 26.02.2005, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emperor
In the 70's the markets for music and the massive record companies didnt have strategys as honed for marketing a particular style of music, we had all sorts of music in the charts at that time, and also because the average musician who made it, had that little bit extra, those that didnt , didnt have the ability to make trance tunes, anywhere near the quality of the professional, which we can do now. Home recording was a luxury.
This is just what was great in 70's. The music businessa actually wasn't industrialised. You didn't get a recording contract if you looked good. You got a contract if you were talented and original. That's the main reason why there are so many classics from that era. The record companies took risks and did they all go bankrupt frequently? No. They got heaps of gold records and made records that are still remembered today as one of the best records of the 20th century.

One reason I tend to dislike 80's (sorry DS, hoho) is that 80's started the industrisation of music business. The marketing got really narrowly targeted and risk taking started gradually disappear. In modern industry risks are hardly taken at all and sadly this leads to a point that completely different and personal stuff won't get released by big budget, only small companies take the risk usually because they are led by people that run the company just because of sheer love for music. The big record companies work like globalised corporations: Their only aim is to get huge profits with laughably low costs.

And back to the electronic music business: Home recording is too cheap. Hoho. Sometimes I feel that some smaller companies just aim for quantity instead of quality. Really boring stuff gets released like on production line and the insane amount of boring releases make finding the jewels hard or even impossible. The cheapness of production equipement is feeding this progress. Although it's nice that starting music production is in reach for everyone, but the consequences are not desireable when combined with the more-is-more attitude of the companies. Anyone can get good sound with really small investiment and anyone can make simple electronic music with few months of practice. This means fresh blood for small companies. Rubbish recordings after rubbish recordings... Good thing though that the small companies don't distribute their releases wery broadly. We still have hope. Muahaha.
Old 26.02.2005, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho L
And back to the electronic music business: Home recording is too cheap. Hoho.
But Juho.....your studio is full of cheap equipment/software.......the affordability is what is keeping you making music. How can you be against this?

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 26.02.2005, 08:15 AM

now days the big companies like sony recordings for say
will rather release a new 16 yr old britny then a fresh original triphop dou with an ugly looking singer.

thats the problem,they (big recoring companies) think they know the crowed who buys the music but they dont,they just make them belive they want\need another britny,send tons of sms and eat mc'donalds.

society sux now days,i say on with communism and goverment music
Old 26.02.2005, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
now days the big companies like sony recordings for say
will rather release a new 16 yr old britny then a fresh original triphop dou with an ugly looking singer
Well of course....how are they going to make any fucking money from some ugly trip-hopper?????

It's all about the cash Im afraid....like it or not, and you cant bitch about these companies because they do not dictate what you are listening to, they do not force you to buy shit, but there are a whole lot of soul-less people out there that need to be told what to listen to, what to wear, what to eat.....

So next time britney comes on MTV, turn the channel, next time you hear her on the radio, what the fuck station are you listening to that plays Britney anyways?????

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60