Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 14.03.2013, 02:51 AM
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Yeah, you are right. However, I know in saying this, it is just my personal taste and opinion but Radiohead's lead singer gives me a headache. It is just MY opinion and sardonic humor in saying a goat connected to electroshock therapy could replace Radiohead's lead singer and not many would notice difference. However, I think the instrument playing musicians do some interesting stuff, but without the goat. Being originally an Indiana farm-boy, feel qualified to make that assessment. HA!
There was always something about his appearance that reminded me a little of Martin Short playing his Ed Grimley character, but then again a band's appearance, and the impact on music sales from looks since the advent of music videos have really been one of the downfalls of modern music, IMO. Prior to MTV, bands were judged on their sound rather than visual style. I always thought Radiohead was one of those bands that brought back the importance of substance over style. It would have been challenging for a lot of folks to pull of a role of front man with such a prominent birth defect (drooping eye), and I think a lot of folks react negatively to that when they see him. But, some of their tunes became instant classics the moment they hit the airwaves.

One of my all time favorites: (might want to listen rather than watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKd06s1LNik
Old 14.03.2013, 03:18 AM
Pro
Pro

Thanks for sharing that. Please know I was not commenting on the lead singer's 'appearance' , as am way too open-minded to judge anyone by their outward appearance, beauty, defects, et al; it's more of his voice BUT that song was more melodic than what I 'listened to' when they were live on Saturday Night Live late last year. Thanks again! How's it going with the Ultra Nova? Been away for a bit and am in last few weeks of some intense dental work that military quacks did shoddy job of and have taken a $1300. hit to my savings, as Medicare nor the VA **never** pay for dental anything!
I too have been highly influenced by Depeche Mode and to this day I still love "Fly On A Windshield" from 'Speak and Spell'. However, was never a fan of the band 'Erasure'...once had a roommate that played that and MADdonna way too much...eeek!
Old 14.03.2013, 04:06 AM

Yeah I didn't mean necessarily that you were referring to his looks. Personally I like his voice is good and has a distinction that makes it recognizable. They are like any other band in that even fans probably aren't wowed by every single song. If you're ever inclined, I recommend listening to the album "The Bends" from beginning to end. There are a number of tracks on that one I like, but here's another one that got a lot of airplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BciOfJsqh7M

I liked Erasure, even tho some of their tunes were a little too upbeat and spunky, I just loved the synth aspect of the music and Vince could do some great things with melodies. Old Yaz was good too. Never was a Madonna fan although many of her tracks were extremely well produced from a technical perspective back in the day.

I'm going to answer the question about the Ultranova over in that thread just to keep everything written so far in one place.
Old 14.03.2013, 04:31 AM
Pro
Pro

YAZ was definitely brilliant! I have the best of Yaz and that reminds me of period of time in life I was also listening to Romeo Void....love the 80's!
Old 14.03.2013, 05:03 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
YAZ was definitely brilliant! I have the best of Yaz and that reminds me of period of time in life I was also listening to Romeo Void....love the 80's!
Don't u mean Yazoo? Yazz was some model that Coldcut hooked up with & had a #1 in the UK with 'the only way is up'...as far as I remember.
What about the early human league stuff, john foxx, ultravox, japan...I could go on
Old 14.03.2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Don't u mean Yazoo? Yazz was some model that Coldcut hooked up with & had a #1 in the UK with 'the only way is up'...as far as I remember.
What about the early human league stuff, john foxx, ultravox, japan...I could go on
I think it was a North American thing that "Yaz" was the more common name, while it remained Yazoo in the UK. I don't remember what the story was behind that one, but for example the cover of Upstairs at Erics said "Yaz", so many people heard them by that name first on this side of the pond.
Old 14.03.2013, 06:24 AM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
I think it was a North American thing that "Yaz" was the more common name, while it remained Yazoo in the UK. I don't remember what the story was behind that one, but for example the cover of Upstairs at Erics said "Yaz", so many people heard them by that name first on this side of the pond.
Strange a group with 2 different names????????? It's like calling Duran Duran...Duran! Or Spandau, Flock of
Old 14.03.2013, 10:35 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
Strange a group with 2 different names????????? It's like calling Duran Duran...Duran! Or Spandau, Flock of
Yes, here in USA it was Yaz! You would never guess this but it indeed had to do with legalities and some tiny USA non-signed band name called Yazoo, if I recall. I am NOT kidding! Fracking lawyers! Only in USA and Mexico was name different.
Yes, all those groups mentioned above are in my CD collection right beside my Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Icehouse, and even Go Go's!! Always had kind of a crush on Belinda Carlisle and her voice!
Yaz is the group I will always point people to listen to when they want a great example of Sequential Circuit's Pro One Monophonic Analog monster synth sound--whether to emulate it or when considering a Mopho. However, not to try to feed your gearlust, but the DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard can sound more like the Pro One than the Mopho can when isolating the analog osc's....it has actually become my favorite synth next of course to my Virus ! Yaz's "Upstairs At Erics" is a masterpiece and is actually done with minimal instrumentation. I have some of the lead singer's solo work as well (this early in morning my brain cannot recall her name)...AHH...that's it; Allison Moyet! What a voice!! When music was music, men were men and so were the woman!
Old 14.03.2013, 03:24 PM

The legal story sounds correct now that you mention it. The real story is funny to me, I always thought it the name got shortened/refined for the US market because Yazoo sounds sort of like a sneeze/yodel combination, or that the mainstream music market would have rejected buying the records in stores because the name sounds a bit backwater or country. Yaz always sounded more contemporary/new wave to me, which I thought would be a better marketing choice. But then it turns out people were fighting over "Yazoo"! lol
Old 14.03.2013, 07:30 PM
Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Yes, here in USA it was Yaz! You would never guess this but it indeed had to do with legalities and some tiny USA non-signed band name called Yazoo, if I recall. I am NOT kidding! Fracking lawyers! Only in USA and Mexico was name different.
Yes, all those groups mentioned above are in my CD collection right beside my Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest, Icehouse, and even Go Go's!! Always had kind of a crush on Belinda Carlisle and her voice!
Yaz is the group I will always point people to listen to when they want a great example of Sequential Circuit's Pro One Monophonic Analog monster synth sound--whether to emulate it or when considering a Mopho. However, not to try to feed your gearlust, but the DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard can sound more like the Pro One than the Mopho can when isolating the analog osc's....it has actually become my favorite synth next of course to my Virus ! Yaz's "Upstairs At Erics" is a masterpiece and is actually done with minimal instrumentation. I have some of the lead singer's solo work as well (this early in morning my brain cannot recall her name)...AHH...that's it; Allison Moyet! What a voice!! When music was music, men were men and so were the woman!
I see, very interesting. As I said earlier Yazz was a completely different pop star in the UK back then.
Not sure about the men being men, I seem to recall a lot of guys wearing a lot of make up in the 80's