Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 07.04.2012, 03:29 PM
Coming down with a bug...
Complete Newbie

Default I'm thinking about buying an Access Virus Snow, but I have some questions

This will be my first synthesizer, but I have some points of concern I would like to ask the pro's around here.
  1. How easy is it to program the Snow without the software interface/purely by knobs? The reason I'm asking is because I'm scared in the future, when Virus has moved along, they maybe won't be updating their software for the TI series, because it will have less priority. So say in 10 years Windows 13 gets released, Access has moved up two generations, what if Access decides that making their software not Windows 13 compatible? (OK horrible example, but just to make a point ;P)

I'm just saying because I had to throw away hardware before because manufacturers were too lazy to update their sofware (screw you M-Audio and HP). So say there is no software, what is your experience in the efficiency of the hardware user interface, and how does it compare to say the rest of the TI series, which do have a lot of dedicated knobs?
  2. As my latest keyboard is just a MIDI controller (Akai MPK49), I need to fire up my DAW to fumble on my keyboard and find some melodies. I've experienced that this somehow results in me not starting the DAW as easily as I would "find melodies" on my previous MIDI keyboard, which had some piano samples in it. I usually would fumble for 5 or 10 minutes of dead time while waiting for something, but when I have to start my DAW and set stuff up it's not happening. This is actually one of the sole reasons why I want a hardware synth. Therefore I'm wondering whether I'm able to play with the Snow via USB (I know it will work via MIDI cables) without my DAW running.

Thanks so much for everyone who took the time to read/answer my questions, and looking forward to hopefully join the family
Old 07.04.2012, 03:58 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Default Make a template for the MPK49 and post here

I have both the Polar and the Snow so I can compare

With Polar there are dedicated knobs so for realtime tweaking, Polar is better. With Snow, you first select which function you'll modify and then you use the 3 soft knobs to make the editing.

I also recommend you to make a custom template for your MPK49 to get more knobs for editing. This is by far your best bet and you won't have any dependency from the Virus Control: Virus TI ReMOTE Templates v0.7 - Now with sysex

Last edited by MarPabl : 07.04.2012 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Title
Old 07.04.2012, 04:42 PM
Complete Newbie

Oh wow so I can use my MPK49 and assign knobs to more funcionalities on my Snow? Wouldn't combining the Snow with a large enough controller result in somewhat of a Virus Desktop experience?

It sounds like an amazing idea MarPabl, I never knew this was possible. Thank you so much! Sounds like a great way of not being dependant on the Virus Control software, so I will be able to use my Snow for years to come!
Old 07.04.2012, 05:15 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Lightbulb Try configuring your MPK49!

Of course with clever programming of your controller, you can get a "Desktop Experience" and maybe even more

Indeed I have the Snow because I don't need the extra polyphony and I don't like having a bulky rack with a bulky controller (so uncomfortable, for this I prefer the Polar). The snow is perfect for the small footprint and usually I prefer controlling it just with the controller and keep to a minimum any direct interaction with the Snow. So for me the smaller, the better.
Old 07.04.2012, 07:24 PM
Complete Newbie

Thanks for the great answers MarPabl! My second question still stands though, are you able to use the snow with your MIDI controller without having to start your DAW when the snow is connected over USB?
Old 07.04.2012, 09:01 PM
Infektion taking hold...

Yes, it is a hardware synth, and you can edit any parameters you wish, through the menus. You need not even own a computer to make it work.
Old 07.04.2012, 09:41 PM
Complete Newbie

My question wasn't whether it was possible or not, but how simple it works. Thanks for taking the time to answer nonetheless
Old 08.04.2012, 02:56 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Thumbs up I have no regrets with MIDI Controller + Snow

Yes I can easily use the Snow directly (minimum 3 simultaneous parameters to edit at once) or I can use the Snow with the Novation (more like a "Desktop experience") with several knobs, sliders to edit and little direct usage of the Snow.

Regarding ease of use, with Snow (and no controller) you may need to plan ahead which parameters you wish to edit, and then you set soft knobs to them. You can also enter the "Edit mode" so you can always select the group you want to edit. It's advisable to try "Easy mode" so you get the "most important" parameters. However, I must say that the best bet is to configure a MIDI Controller to map as many parameters as you can (need) because the many menu layers can be too deep to effectively tweak the Programs realtime. With a properly configured MIDI Controller, my usage experience is great and I have no issues to quickly tweak the Programs live, near the same experience I have with Polar. I really like the Novation keybed, and it has several knobs/sliders/buttons to map which work great for me.

There's only one thing you can't edit without the Virus Control: the user defined Arpeggiator patterns. BTW, this limitation is also present with Desktop/Polar/Keyboard versions.

And it's true that this synth and generally speaking the whole Virus models: you can use all of them without the computer and you have every single parameter and feature available, except for the Arpeggiator patterns.

Last edited by MarPabl : 08.04.2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Answer
Old 08.04.2012, 12:18 PM
Complete Newbie

Luckily for me the MPK49 has a built-in arepeggiator. It all sounds great thusfar, using a controller to fake the desktop experience, just an amazing idea. Thank you so much MarPabl for your great answers. Definitely going to order the Snow now
Old 09.04.2012, 02:50 AM
Infektion taking hold...

Perfect! Another important thing you can so with some controllers is to split those for Multi MIDI Channel transmission. This way, you may be able to play the Multis in a more effective way, compared with the Polar/Keyboard (the keybed will just send on a single MIDI Channel)