Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > General discussion about music

General discussion about music An area for general music releated threads.

Old 30.01.2013, 11:44 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe35 View Post
and the MS-20 Mini, I can afford
YEAAAH! Me 2!
Old 30.01.2013, 12:00 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
I don't know, are you? I've been 12 a few times over now.

Seriously, I'd love a Prophet 12, its just even further out of my price range than a Ti2 Keys is I have nothing against hybrid synths, I own two already (ESQm and K3m) and a VS is one of those 'someday' synths for me anyway. Too bad the P12 doesn't have a joystick (despite Yamaha owning Sequential's vector synthesis IP, that patent would have expired about eight years ago) (and yeah, I say the same thing about the Evolver)
Well, if the Prophet 12 responds to proper midi cc rather than sysex, theoretically one could do as I do to control a Wavestation SR and eventually the elektron monomachine MK1 yet to learn is use something like a Korg Kontrol 49 controller or any of the Yamaha TG's with a vector joystick and simply assign midi cc's 18 and 19 I think for X/Y control since the Prophet 12 seems like more of a re-engineered Prophet VS with advantage of analog vcf lpf/hpf, etc. plus alot more. It's a bit out of my price range since having my set-up 99% way want it aside from as Tweakhead posted, the MS20 can be used in SO many ways coupled with Evolver, external signals from our Virus or routing VCO's possibly to act as analog sub osc's to get dirty deeper bass with virus...exciting times!
Old 30.01.2013, 12:07 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Or use something like a Korg Nanopad through your DAW or something... or the X/Y touchscreen on my M3
Old 31.01.2013, 01:13 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Or use something like a Korg Nanopad through your DAW or something... or the X/Y touchscreen on my M3
That indeed is a great idea with touchpad on your M3. Tried using touchpad on Novation Remote SL61MKII for controlling Wavestation SR to no really good control as you would with a joystick for truely vectoring control. On the Korg Forum, some people had indeed tried using their M3 because I forget where, but on your M3 you already have a template for Wavestation and/or Vector control, and it was satisfactory, nothing like a joystick and hence was rec. to purchase really cheap Korg Kontrol 49 with a true 4 region vector control and it worked like a charm for little money....the Kontrol 49 pretty much was ahead of game and could easily see where novation's launchpad was "gleaned" from Korg. It turns out that multi-controller is very utilitarian. On your M3, do you not also have an actual joystick, unless mistaken? If so, for controlling say DSI Prophet 12 like a giant Prophet VS, you could assign midi cc 17 and 18 or somewhere in that range--it's in a Word Doc of saved info from Korg Forum. (I truely want to learn to actually program the Korg Wavestation SR rack because at 1 rack space, takes very little room.
NAMM 2013 has started to drive ALOT of hardware to be listed...namely, since using evilbay post military, have never seen so MANY original vintage Korg MS20's. Funny thing is though, do not see a new proponderance of DSI gear on evilbay.
DSI were VERY smart in that the Prophet 12 simply augments rather than replaces anything in their product range!
Old 31.01.2013, 04:11 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I believe the implementation of wavetables on this one is similar to what you get in something like NI's Massive or even the Virus ti range, and therefore proper scanning of the waves can be done by modeling just one axis, either with a knob, an lfo, or the mod wheel...

As for vector controllers, I think the wacom (yes, the actual graphic's pen, with touch!! important to stress out the touch part!!!) is hard to beat, once you get some software for it, so it sends midi information to your gear or software (there's plenty of solutions for it online, even using max msp). The one that came with the novation is a joke. You have to press it real hard so that it reads everything, not the kind of smooth action I was thinking about. So that's it: either a nano pad or if you're into graphic design of some sort, buy a bamboo pen that's touch enabled - that's as smooth as it gets!

EDIT

of course you can even use a gaming joystick of your choice to midi control your stuff, this way... there's really no limits. there's people using the wii controllers (yes, I know, insane...) for music applications and stuff like that.
Old 31.01.2013, 09:40 AM
Pro
Pro

Well, the prophet 12 also has two touch/finger sensors that various modulational affect can be routed to it like DSI's Tempest and that would mean time will tell just how sound can be manipulated.
You are correct Tweak on Novation's touchpad and am still thinking perhaps i never tweaked the sesativity of it correctly or thoroughly....it does not help that one of the physical/medical issues I have from one of my military health issues is peripheral neuropathy, which rendors tips of fingers and toes tingly/numb with sometimes more sensation than would like then other way and reason I enjoy aftertouch SO much as I can compensate with that and work around my own, at times, very limitation. Wonder if there's been a firmware update that addressed this on such a really nice controller otherwise? As I stated in another post, I can see further in future perhaps getting a Prophet 12 BUT I would pragmatically have to decide perhaps which to keep in my set-up, the Virus KB or the KC. Not out of thrift nor need to sell to raise funds for Prophet 12 but for reason of ergonomics/space. (I would probably keep both Virii simply because using one for external signal processing duties as well as....oh hell no...figure can make things work because my dining room is not really being used as such and as long as midi cords are no longer than 50 feet....? HA! However, have enough to learn as far as interfaces and DAW so *perhaps* Prophet 12 could be had for a bit less in future? I refuse to do anything via credit, rather, saving and owning something is a personal integrity thing with me. That YouTube sent to me on Prophet 12 by Tweakhead was like injecting 100 PSI into that awful thing called GAS!! --in a good way as can't wait to drive up to Sweetwater and lay my hands on Prophet 12 when visiting parents next!!
Old 31.01.2013, 01:40 PM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Virus really does need a pressure-sensitive ribbon or XY pad for performance playing. You can tap (effectively gating), scratch, do 2D vector glides, etc., none of which you can do with just a mod wheel or knobs.
Old 31.01.2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I just hope Access finds the time to read this forum, lately eheh...
Old 31.01.2013, 02:50 PM
Pro
Pro

Even if they made one like I think kurzwiel has as an add-on LONG multi zoned ribbon controller (propriatory though), that could be simply connected into midi in! Yes, it would be at least a good amount of free varied information about how NAMM has really excited us in recent innovations and how as we await *patiently* for Access to finish guitar-centric development and feed their "Viral Children" with something along the lines of 'And now for something completely different"___Monty Python (note to self to buy DVD collection)
Old 31.01.2013, 03:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, I think they could do that. But I also think, unlike some here, that it's damn good as it is. There's several issues that often come and go about the virus: most people unpleased with it have some complains about the TI implementation, but I think the simple fact that they've tried it and are getting better at it shows how much they're commited to innovation - since, there's no single company on the market trying to do the same. Feature wise, without even considering this new technology for integrating with the DAW, it's got so many options on its sleave and sounds so good -doing all that it does - and the interface is so inspiring that for those that actually make music, it's still a winner both on studio or stage. I think the competition is lacking much more then they do, thinking about Clavia or Waldorf mainly. The Blofeld is very rich, feature wise, but not so much in terms of physical interface and hence, it's not as good for performance.

The other main complain is about the price, which is true: this things are expensive for sure. And that's where the comparisons with the available software options come in, and how the virus is just software with a dedicated controller, this and that. Maybe it is, but it has inspired me to do better music and that's what counts at the end of the day. And I dare say: good luck trying to find such nice sounding filters on software - Diva included!