Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 10.05.2008, 03:50 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Default VC and Cubase 4

Hi folks

Im running the latest VC OS2.7 beta 3, using the latest version of C4 and running the latest RME FF800 drivers. I've got a couple of questions relating to the setting up of VC and have identified some possible conflicts/observations.....

First things first.... h34r:

1) If Ive got VC running how do I ensure that its my FF800 interface thats capturing/processing all the audio? I want to record with my FF800 and not use the onboard Virus soundcard. Within the C4 devices setup menu I have the ASIO Fireface driver selected.....so am I ok?

When the Virus is hooked up via USB:

2) When i select a midi track within C4 and I use the drop down menu to select the interface it comes up with, Virus TI midi, Virus TI synth and Fireface 800 midi. For some reason I have been unable to ascertain what functions the various Virus options do. I have not seen it documented in either the manual or VC manual. Can anyone shed some light on this...and specifically tell me under what circumstances I might need/wish to use one of the Virus options.

3a) When my FF800 is selected as my midi interface and I hit a key on the Virus....the midi meter goes mental. Its as if the virus is spurting out a whole load of junk data or that the FF800 has locked up. Needless to say, when the USB cable is connected its as if the normal midi cable becomes inopperable - is this normal? Please note that VC is not loaded at this stage.....its just the Virus connected via USB. The only way around this is to deselect the FF800 and replace it with one of the virus options (Virus TI Synth). This then allows me to record midi and play it back. If however, I select Virus TI midi in the drop down menu I get exactly the same problem as I do when the FF800 is selected - garbage midi data, meter going beserk and no audio. Does anyone else experience similar?

When the Virus is not hooked up via USB:

3b) Since installing VC OS2.7 beta 3 I've noticed noticed something strange (even when VC is not loaded and USB disconnected). I load up a project template that defaults to my FF800 for midi and audio. I select a midi track and I try to play/record notes.....ONLY a few of the notes get recorded. I can hear the sound coming out of the virus' analog outs and what notes are recorded do play back. But why is my sequencer now not capturing all the midi data from the virus? There seems to be a conflict and yes I have tried reinstalling my Fireface drivers after the VC OS install - no joy.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thanks

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 17.05.2008, 04:46 AM
Infektion taking hold...

When using the Virus|Control plug-in, your soundcard isn't exactly processing anything of the Virus. All the sounds and controls of the Virus are controlled through what you do in Cubase. Since Virus|Control uses USB, all audio is recorded through that USB port if you actually do any recording to audio, regardless of whether or not the FF800 or Virus TI is your sound card.

To use the Virus using the Virus|Control plug-in, it must be instantiated in Cubase first (Setup > VST Instruments or by pressing F11). You should now see "Virus TI" as a MIDI output option. The MIDI channels on the MIDI track correspond to the 16 available parts in the Virus.