Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 23.02.2006, 03:09 PM
New here
New here

Default Pedal trouble - Ben, marc, anyone?

This is my first post so thanks to all the participants on this site which I have been following for months. The TI was my first proper hardware purchase (other than controllers/genelecs) and it was worth every pound. I've had so much fun with it already just playing the presents and setting up a few loops in Live, and the keyboard action (keyboard version) is first rate - even when playing something like Akoustic piano - which leads me on to my problem:

Inspired by Ben's latest video I purchased a Korg controller foot pedal from turnkey. However when plugged in and set to control a parameter like modulation, it only provided change messages over about half of the movement of the pedal so I took it back. I changed it for a Roland EV5 control pedal which had an adjustable setting on the side (I figured I could use this to match the pedal exactly to the TI). Not so.

Now if I attach the pedal and call up Virus Control with a preset where you can see what's going on via VC (eg a patch like BadmouthBC where soft knob 1 is set to modulation), then I can see that the full range of the pedal is only changing the TI by a small percentage (from 20% to 40%) as compared to the modulation wheel which obviously chanages it from 0 to 100%. I thought that the adjustable control on the side would allow me to change this, but all it seems to do is move the mid point of the range (to say 60% - 80%) rather than allowing me to adjust to the full range.

Unfortunately I'm out of the country for a while so I can't take this back as well and I was hoping there's some setting I can make in the synth that will adjust for this. It would seem strange if two well known footpedals don't work properly. Any ideas welcome.

Cheers domc
Old 23.02.2006, 03:15 PM
Analog synth DSP lover
Amateur

I've hooked a Yamaha controller pedal up to my TI and it has been working as anticipated. 0 - 127 messages sent. I have the Roland pedal too. It's currently utilized on my Korg Karma. I'll try it on the TI.
Old 23.02.2006, 04:38 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Roland EV5 pedal doesnt work properly on the TI - Ive posted a bug with support about it (as its one of the most common pedals, and every other synth I have supports it properly).

Send a mail into Access support - there a bunch of people with EV5s - would be great to get them supported.

TBH - I dont mind buying another pedal, but I wont until I know of a specific decent pedal that does work correctly (ie specific make and model).
Old 23.02.2006, 05:01 PM
New here
New here

Thats bad news, specially as I have now made 2 specific trips to turnkey to try and get one (they weren't any help although to be fair to them there's nothing in the manual about which pedals you should or shouldn't buy or any technical specs required). I'll write to Access - I'd of thought it should be easy to add some software to interpret the control voltages and amplify them a bit - let's see.
Old 23.01.2008, 06:42 PM
New here
New here

Question Any luck?

Hi everyone,
I have the same issue, any luck sorting this out or finding a pedal that works?
Andre
Old 27.01.2008, 10:52 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

I had a similar problem with expression pedal (Korg EXP-1) - the full travel of the pedal would send CC message over a very small range (like 120-127) instead of the full 0-127 range. At first I suspected a defect, but after some googling found out it was simply wrong polarity. I just had to swap the tip and the ring of the TRS connector, and voila! Works like a charm...

hope this helps,
Boris.
Old 22.02.2010, 02:10 PM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Could you please explain how you swapped the polarity?
Thanks!
Old 01.03.2010, 08:19 AM
Infekted!
Almost Amateur

Get two TRS plugs and a piece of cable, and solder them like this:

Tip ---- Ring
Ring ---- Tip
Sleeve --- Sleeve

that is, on one end you swap the tip and ring wires ... don't know how to explain it better
Old 04.03.2010, 07:31 PM
Very mucho Newbie

I've had this problem with both the Virus C and the TI. Haven't tried reversing yet (absolutely terrible at soldering), but I'll see if I can talk a buddy into trying the fix for me.
Old 05.03.2010, 04:40 PM
Complete Newbie

I just got myself a yamaha control pedal (can't remember the name right now, but it's the one that access support generally recommends).
It works just as it shoud - like my boss expression pedal worked on my indigo...