Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 16.02.2004, 09:17 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Default Analogue gear!!

now i have been researching some analogue gear...so far there are a bunch that look and seem really cool...but in the end dont they all sound about the same? from the samples i heard they sound really similar...well i mean within the company...what i am wondering is, if i was to buy the waldorf pulse would it be similar to buying an older one...i just dont know about that whole CV/midi converter and with some of the rolands u have to a special DINsync convertor...? But i was trying to make a list and these seem to be what im interested in tell me what u think...

Jupiter 6 (because of the midi)
Juno 106
Sh101
OB-Xa
Xpander
CS-10/15/30 (one of those)
Mono/poly
Ms-20
TECHNOSAURUS SELECTOR System D
Omega 8
Future Retro 777
Prophet 600
Prodigy
SunSyn

Now tell me what u guys think of this? which ones r good and which r worth throwing away?
and how much do these usually run...I know a good number of them...but i am wondering what u guys seem them going for...and r there any u would add?

peace
Blank
Old 16.02.2004, 11:21 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

the sunsyn is about 3500 dollars

i would say go for the juno and the oberhime maybe
the juno goes for around 300 $ used can get it cheaper tho
the prodigy is a nice mono synt played with it a bit
and well.. it is moog not as fat as the minimoog but a nice add to a digital setup
goes for around 150-200 $
Old 16.02.2004, 01:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran

most of the synths listed r fairly inexpensive...

the sunsyn and omega 8 r both about $3k
the TECHNOSAURUS SELECTOR System D is about $4-5k
and the Xpander is about $1k

all the others r pretty inexpensive i think...im not sure on a few of them...but i am not talking about money here im just trying to figure if it would be useless to get some of these...like say if u could get the same sound out of one of the others....or if there is any i missed?

BTW does any1 know any places online that sell used gear of all sorts...without having to bid for them...i would pay a little extra just to know that i will get it and its from a store...instead of getting my hopes up to lose a bid or be fukt out of my money...

peace
Blank
Old 16.02.2004, 03:50 PM

what about the doepfer a100 ?
the modular system
you can get the complete thing in about 3k and its amazing....
Old 16.02.2004, 09:53 PM
Veteran
Veteran

i think i would rather go with the newer modular system like the technosaurus...

peace
Blank
Old 17.02.2004, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
but in the end dont they all sound about the same? from the samples i heard they sound really similar...well i mean within the company...
sometimes there are small differences within a series, for example: the CS range from yamaha - some have punchier envelopes and the like...small differences, but still differences i guess...

Quote:
what i am wondering is, if i was to buy the waldorf pulse would it be similar to buying an older one...
you really have to read up about the models themselves (everywhere u can). not only for sound but also for stability and reliability...

Quote:
i just dont know about that whole CV/midi converter and with some of the rolands u have to a special DINsync convertor...?
im not really worried so much about the cv to midi thing because i dont mind playing the instrument itself then recording to the sampler or straight into the PC....thats why for me, im really looking for stuff in good condition....

but if u wanna set up midi wise it isnt that difficult for many instruments.....lots of instruments can be retro fitted now days with midi...but u can always go for a converter from kenton or something....they cost around 90 to 100 bux or so...but you can buy another analogue synth for 90 or 100 bux, why waste the money. (thats if you can play instead of clicking the mouse)

Quote:
But i was trying to make a list and these seem to be what im interested in tell me what u think...
i think alot depends on the sound u r after.

if you can get some for cheap enough, get them and try them out, then sell them on...thats my pplan at the moment....

right now im bidding on:
oberhiem matrix 1000 and xpander
sh101
mc202
mono/poly (although its getting expensive)
jx 3p
ms-20
kord mini (although its getting rich too)
cs01 from yamaha
sh 3a
sh 1

if i get any ill let u know what i think...im only going for bargins though...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 17.02.2004, 12:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Thanx hollow...the only reason i want to go midi is because of timing...i can play but trying to play a fast lead in sync with 180 tempo or so would be hard...and the more off sync u get the worse the song sounds...i can play but slowly...120 is fine...140 is harder...and 160 and up is a bitch...

peace
Blank
Old 17.02.2004, 05:15 AM

how much is the ms20 going for right now?
and blank you can get the novation bass station as a convector for about 100-150 euro
Old 17.02.2004, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
Thanx hollow...the only reason i want to go midi is because of timing...i can play but trying to play a fast lead in sync with 180 tempo or so would be hard...and the more off sync u get the worse the song sounds...i can play but slowly...120 is fine...140 is harder...and 160 and up is a bitch...
yeh true!

but thats where the sampler can come in handy. it takes a bit of work though. ive been playing around with appegiators by sampling single notes from the CS, then i ran those notes from the sampler (off an appegiator) thru the CS again - triggering the filter, plus triggering the OSC..chunky results pefectly in time with cubase...

if you go here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm and then look for track CS-10 appegiator you will see what i mean...play it loud though, because i didnt compress it so much to give it alot of dynamic range.......

of course though, its not the same as having the machine triggered directly from midi...but its ok for me at the moment...the sequence is at 150bpm by the way...

where it becomes complicated is rapid note changes...this is where using the sampler becomes too time consuming...having to sample too many individual notes can really suck...

at any rate...buy an analogue blank! im converting rapidly (mainly in the bass side of things)....the only other analogue i had used in depth before the CS was an alpha juno when i was in ausi (but ive bought one off the auctions recently too)...they have DCO instead and although they sound pretty good, im far more impressed with the CS in terms of bass and raw characture! i had only played analogues in a shop before that (not the same as blasting along side the rest of your gear)...
Old 17.02.2004, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomer=Trance
how much is the ms20 going for right now?
its 6500yen! now heres the but... its missing the button near the mod wheel and the mod wheel isnt working at all....also some of the knobs are stiff and worn out a bit...the keyboard works (they say), but they havent tested the patching section....looks a bit rough to me....could be good for parts though i guess...if it goes over 7000 im not gunna worry about it..