Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 24.11.2005, 06:45 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben crosland
That LdStrngzMS patch is not made with HyperSaw, and is thus not really the best choice for a comparison

~+? - are you sure the pops and clicks you are hearing in this patch aren't just clipping? I'm checking it here, and it plays fine.
BEN, The problem I found it happens with that patch if the notes overlap! The overlapping notes also make the LFO act odd! Try the patch again with some note overlaps and start tweaking and see what happens.
Can't make the LFO go funny no matter how hard I try - I do get the occasional pop when playing several chords in succession though. The pops are very rare, but they are quite loud - I'll notify Access about it..
Old 24.11.2005, 11:43 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
Most of the highs in the jp mp3 are reverb and effects BTW the same effect you can find on the TI but I did not have the time.
Well, this is not quite true. The JP's oscillators have more higher frequencies. Reverb never adds higher frequencies, especially if they don't exist and usually every reverb setting has a lowpass at about 3-5kHz. I have tweaked JP8000, JP8080 and Virus B, KC and Virus Powercore side by side and the JP just has more higher frequencies. The virus sounds like it has a static lowpass somewhere near 10kHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
FSD: you are right Hypersaw does not sound like supersaw. BUT the TI can still make the same sound with its SAW's with the right tweaks!
Well, it cannot do it. Please record a demo and show me and then I'll believe. I have tried to get the Virus to sound like a JP and I have got pretty close. It can fool you with certain sequences and some filter settings but when you start playing polyphonic pads or open the cutoff the truth reveals. The only synth which can imitate JP80x0 almost perfectly is Alesis Andromeda. It doesn't lack the high frequencies like Virus. I fooled my friends a year ago with andro playing supersaw-sounds. They were 100% certain that the sound came from JP80x0. And those friends of mine all have JP80x0's. I spent alot of time tweaking the eq's and effects and got 99,999% identical sound.
Old 25.11.2005, 01:20 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
Most of the highs in the jp mp3 are reverb and effects BTW the same effect you can find on the TI but I did not have the time.
Well, this is not quite true. The JP's oscillators have more higher frequencies. Reverb never adds higher frequencies, especially if they don't exist and usually every reverb setting has a lowpass at about 3-5kHz. I have tweaked JP8000, JP8080 and Virus B, KC and Virus Powercore side by side and the JP just has more higher frequencies. The virus sounds like it has a static lowpass somewhere near 10kHz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
FSD: you are right Hypersaw does not sound like supersaw. BUT the TI can still make the same sound with its SAW's with the right tweaks!
Well, it cannot do it. Please record a demo and show me and then I'll believe. I have tried to get the Virus to sound like a JP and I have got pretty close. It can fool you with certain sequences and some filter settings but when you start playing polyphonic pads or open the cutoff the truth reveals. The only synth which can imitate JP80x0 almost perfectly is Alesis Andromeda. It doesn't lack the high frequencies like Virus. I fooled my friends a year ago with andro playing supersaw-sounds. They were 100% certain that the sound came from JP80x0. And those friends of mine all have JP80x0's. I spent alot of time tweaking the eq's and effects and got 99,999% identical sound.

So you?re saying the mp3 that this thread refers to is not using any effects even reverb?

I can hear a ton of effect on the tail of that mp3 dude!

Can you direct your argument at the right person? I never said the hypersaw sounded like a supersaw!
Old 25.11.2005, 01:34 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Hey i know , lets start talking about what the TI's good at for a change!

Selectable Wavetables
Old 25.11.2005, 02:24 AM
New here
New here

No, he was saying that reverb doesn't add high frequencies. And he's right.
Old 25.11.2005, 08:47 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D
I have tweaked JP8000, JP8080 and Virus B, KC and Virus Powercore side by side and the JP just has more higher frequencies. The virus sounds like it has a static lowpass somewhere near 10kHz.
The Hypersaw oscillator doesn't - it is much brighter at the top end than the 'Classic' saw. If you want to emphasize it more, the EQ should do the job pretty well - I'd bet my bottom dollar that if the JP's oscillator sounds brighter, it's because they stuck a high shelf eq in it..
Old 25.11.2005, 02:04 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Hi,

Wouldn't it be much simpler if somebody with a TI would finally post a good audio demo of the Hypersaw so can all hear how good it is in the high frequencies etc.. No need to even compress it to mp3, just upload the wav (better quality anyway) to yousendit.com or something if you have no upload space.

Here's the url to the JP8000 demo again: http://users.skynet.be/soundfiles/motorcycle.mp3 If you play this melody with the TI and sweep the filter, make sure you play it long enough with the filter full open.

Thanks very much!
Old 25.11.2005, 02:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Send a message via ICQ to MADSTATION Send a message via MSN to MADSTATION

Dance123: I'll post something on tuesday. I can't before that, no internet at home and I'm rewiring the studio.
Old 25.11.2005, 10:29 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
So you?re saying the mp3 that this thread refers to is not using any effects even reverb?

I can hear a ton of effect on the tail of that mp3 dude!
Like somebody already said, I didn't say that the demo mp3 didn't have any reverb. However many classic trance tracks have been made using only the JP's own delay without any reverb or external effects. The supersaw sounds which the JP does, don't need much or any effects. It sounds quite massive already alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
Can you direct your argument at the right person? I never said the hypersaw sounded like a supersaw!
You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~+?
BUT the TI can still make the same sound with its SAW's with the right tweaks!
I was referring to this. You cannot make Virus to sound like JP's supersaw, doesn't matter whether you use the hypersaw or the basic saws.
Old 28.11.2005, 01:34 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

Quote:
Its like someone asking me...'Screams....can you post a patch off the KC that sounds like a classic Jupiter 8 pad'.......I know this cant be done....so why bother?

The hypersaw is probably good in its own right. Unfairly....people keep on wishing to make these comparisons.
you have a point but just because something cannot be done with the constraints of the equipment you have doesnt mean you should not try. otherwise why bother trying to make acoustic instrument sounds on a virtual analogue synth? if a synth can even half way make a convincing woodwind sound from its square wave and mod matrix then that in my opinion is the hallmark of a good synth. telling people not to bother because they cant is like saying 'why bother trying to fly when we dont have wings? give up davinci - theres just no point.'

the virus is especially apt because it is possible to emulate a wide variety of classic analogue and digital and acoustic sounds on it. sure you wont fool the owners of those synths. but you can probably get close enough to fool everyone else. and its the versatility of the machine and the understanding you get from closely working with your synth to build a very specific sound that is ultimately valuable. it is sound design experience. i fail to see how this exercise is pointless in any way.

think of this as an academic exercise. i am surprised nobody has posted a wav of the raw hypersaw oscillator. i would if i had a TI - unfortunately i only have a virus b. it wouldnt take more than 10 minutes to bounce it and upload it to some free webhost.

although the quick and easy answer is to go and buy a jp8000. no feedback oscillator and no supersaw oscillator on the virus will always mean you are tending towards the supersaw sound. but hey...

someone else will eventually get around to making a new interesting sound using the hypersaw and then people will have to buy virus TIs to get that 'exact' sound.

EDIT: also, dont quote me on this but im fairly certain that gabriel and dresden (aka motorcycle) do not use any hardware.