Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 16.12.2005, 11:25 AM
Pro
Pro

have you got the patch of this leadsound? could you strike some keys and upload the result at yousendit.com or don't know where so that I could be assured that we're talking about the same sound? That'd be great!
Old 17.12.2005, 12:59 PM
Pro
Pro

or does anyone else recognise the patch used in lab4 - candyman? could you strike some keys when that patch is loaded and upload it on yousendit.com?
Old 17.12.2005, 01:20 PM
Aged Veteran
Aged Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. orange
the link with the short sample of the leadsound in wave quality has expired, here's the new one: http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...O2C2Q9YIYIZQ5D
This link has also gone pear shaped
http://www.thegirlnextdoor.de/Virusforum.htm
http://www.myspace.com/thegirlnextdoormusic
Old 17.12.2005, 05:20 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

i will indeed upload samples of my candyman patch as well as the dance nation ones. i am on 56k and do not have a copy of the sound. the video streams and when i disconnect i have to redownload it again. if i could have just a clip of the leadsound, i think i can make a closer copy of it.

gimme a few hours to get my stuff sorted out - i need to audition both patches on my iriver since i do not have monitors at the moment - just a pair of crappy 4.5 watt pc speakers wahhh.
Old 17.12.2005, 06:46 PM
Pro
Pro

wandering kid, I've sent you a pm

edit: now two
Old 17.12.2005, 10:47 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The girl next door
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. orange
the link with the short sample of the leadsound in wave quality has expired, here's the new one: http://s57.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0...O2C2Q9YIYIZQ5D
This link has also gone pear shaped
thank you for the notification...

here the new one: http://s18.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...L205HH65T95NFL

again very short, so you probably need to loop it in your sequencer
Old 18.12.2005, 01:58 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Madstations attempt sounds very close, perhaps thin the oscillators down a little, and work on the pitch and you'll be pretty much there with it.
Old 18.12.2005, 02:45 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

gonna check out your PM after i finish typing this. as promised i present to you...

A103LabCandyAB

http://media.putfile.com/10th-Lab4-Candyman-Synth-9-mp3

a couple of notes on the creation of LabCandy:

1) i do not have monitors! therefore, many of the EQ modifications were made so that it sounded sweet on my 4.5 watt pc speakers. i am aware of some of the deficit frequency ranges and try to compensate accordingly but if i have EQed it way off or it is too bassy, please do alert me to this so i can correct it (and in doing so learn something about the speakers i am currently using)

2) it is derived from my original virus b supersaw patch. like that patch, it is a single patch, with post processing. LabCandy originally started with the same post processing but i ended up ditching the chorus on the virus and the ping pong ddelay (From fruity delay 2) as well as removing the virus reverb.

the interesting thing about building generic patches from scratch is that you can turn them into pretty much anything. that supersaw patch can be turned into a drum and bass reece (ala the calling VIP) by turning it into LabCandy first, then transposing it an octave down, dampening the high shelf EQ and sticking it through a valve or two.

this new patch has alot of EQ modifications over the original supersaw patch. it has quite a large high shelf above 8000 hz and a big peak around 60 to 80hz.

If you listen to Candyman, it has alot of bass on it - there are only 2 ways in which you can approach this:

(a) a low shelf or peak below 100hz (although this does not sound as accurate as...

(b) a multimode patch where the second timbre is a pure sine wave, compressed and overdriven (this sounds closer and provides more of a punch than the EQ but i have not done this here because i needed to keep it in single mode).

3) it is not a perfect replica yet. The original has more of an agressive attack and it sounds 'crunchier.' there is also some kind of multimode filter on the lead automating high pass, resonant filter sweeps, which i have omitted because i dont have a spare multimode filter. i am also aware of the fact that there is possibly too much distortion on my copy (because on the octave down part, it sounds very 'bitty'). i should point out there is actually very little distortion on it already, which sounds odd. but most of the agressiveness comes from rapid osc tuning modulation, piles and piles of detune and a little touch of FM and semitone tuning on osc2 to balance things out in the higher ranges.

i have not used the virus distortion at all, and the only other distortion comes from camelphattfree (but this is only 11% up)

4) You can turn LabCandy into pretty much any lab4 lead sound used on evilution. i am currently working on the lead for reformation II which is my favourite lab4 song. although this is proving difficult because it has an even more aggressive attack sound than candyman and even more crunch whilst also having a clear bass (again i think it is a multimode patch).

that dance nation patch is on the way but i might not get it finished in time to get my flight home, but ill be back within the week anyway so ill drop by this thread then if i cannot get it done before the 20th.

but with a little bit of post processing you can pretty much build any sound imaginable on a virus very closely, if not exactly. the only limit is the polyphony and portmento and the post processing you have available to you.