Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 04.12.2005, 12:25 AM
Pro
Pro

Default Copying this Leadsound...

Hello alltogether...

Since I'm still awaiting my Virus TI to come and have some doubts, I'm asking you now... Are you looking for a challenge or have you some free time left? What about trying to copy this leadsound? Here it is: http://www.sunesha.nu/virusforum/viewtopic.php?t=4625 I have some doubts that the Virus is able to create this type of sounds. Since the shop where I have ordered my Virus has told me that I could buy it somewhere else because they will get it very late, probably february or so, I could spend the money on another synthesizer... I'm looking for a synthesizer that's able to do that kind of leadsound, on the other hand, I can't imagine the virus not being able to do it. Please, could you destroy my doubts? Not only by saying that my doubts are shit but by trying to copy the patch?

I thank you very very much!!!
Old 04.12.2005, 09:03 AM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via ICQ to Wandering Kid

As a general rule of thumb you can recreate or at least emulate very closely pretty much any kind of stock digital/analogue or virtual analogue sound using a Virus. How close you get depends on your understanding of your own instrument and how much time you are willing to invest in order to get it as close as possible. That and post processing to overcome some of the limitations of the synth itself. The not very bright oscillators for one thing.

You shouldnt worry so much about what your instrument cannot do, so much as what you CAN do with that instrument. It is easy to forget that in pretty much all instances, we, not the synth, are the limiting factor with regards to what sounds we can create.

Therefore, I would probably recommend you get extremely busy brushing up on your knowledge of subtractive synthesis and get busy programming Viruses.

As for that lead sound. yep...its the JP8000 and its a supersaw (it had to be didnt it?). The short of it is that you cannot build supersaws *exactly* on a Virus but you can get extremely close with post processing and a careful eye for sound design.

if you want to build them exactly as is and have an easy time of it, then you would be advised to get a JP8080 instead of a Virus.

However, the Virus is quite capable of cloning that sound (even without the hypersaw oscillator on the Virus TI). I have gotten very close on a Virus B. Not to mention that the Virus is, compared to the JP8080, more versatile and better featured.

Since I have a number of supersaw'ish patches, ill try to morph one into that lead sound...be back later.

A side note: god. digital pianos, supersaws AND antares autotune on the vocals.

DS would have a seisure...
Old 04.12.2005, 11:22 AM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Kid
its the JP8000
Are you 100% sure that it is a JP80x0?

Quote:
Since I have a number of supersaw'ish patches, ill try to morph one into that lead sound...be back later.
oh, that's so great! thank you very much!
Old 04.12.2005, 12:08 PM
Pro
Pro

here's the MIDI file if you need it...
Old 06.12.2005, 05:41 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via MSN to techno_7

C13 CommerseSV?
Korg Karma
Behringer DDX3216 mixer
4 Mach M-Flex Monitors
Reason 2.5
Cubase SX3
Korg Legacy Collection
http://www.t7online.dk/Data/T7online%20SkySigHQ.gif
Old 06.12.2005, 08:00 AM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
As for that lead sound. yep...its the JP8000 and its a supersaw (it had to be didnt it?). The short of it is that you cannot build supersaws *exactly* on a Virus but you can get extremely close with post processing and a careful eye for sound design.
But you can get so close with the right post EQ that noone other than the likes of us is going to notice the difference, especially by the time its in a mix.

What I find when I hear some sound in a track that I want to vaguely reproduce is that Ill start aiming toward that sound, but along the way Ill find something better on the virus and go with that instead - which I think is allways more interesting
Old 06.12.2005, 08:02 AM

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno_7
C13 CommerseSV?
Anyone know who "SV" is?

Sven Vath came to mind... just curious

Maybe Ben C knows?
Old 06.12.2005, 08:11 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazul
Quote:
Originally Posted by techno_7
C13 CommerseSV?
Anyone know who "SV" is?

Sven Vath came to mind... just curious

Maybe Ben C knows?
Cosmic Dreamer - not sure what his real name is.
Old 06.12.2005, 09:18 AM
Pro
Pro

what about trying to reproduce the sound? The MIDI pattern is already there, so you only need to tweak some hypersaw sounds... Could you include some filtersweeping at the end?

I appreciate your help!
Old 06.12.2005, 11:33 AM
Pro
Pro

if you can reproduce a compareable sound that also sounds that clear in the heights, I'm gonna buy that thing straight away!