Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 08.06.2013, 08:22 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah, same thing here. What I managed to do was to set it up like I told you before: I configured the Automap precisely like the App told me to and got it working fine with Logic. Afterwards, I could choose from within Logic (must be the same with Reaper) to send midi to each of the two channels on the Remote, and to receive also if you're interested in recording knob tweaks as automation... or this and that.

So what I'm saying is: you should connect the Remote with usb regardless of your intentions to use automap or not just because of that. Afterwards, by simply connecting the hardware to the Remote like you would with any other equipment, you can orchestrate them using Reaper if you want to. I believe you need to press the automap button once, so that the lid of off, in order for this to work. That's what I do, good old fashion midi for hardware, automap for software, no brainer at all.

If you plan on using automap, take your time to make costumized templates for the ones you plan to use and just save them once and for all. After that you'll be able to use them like any hardware synthesizer. Easier for more analogue like interfaces then something like Zebra or FM8 of course, but still very cool.

I'll see if I dig more through it one of these days and will let you guys know how it goes. Some things about the Remote still puzzle me a bit, even though I got to use it as I want to: controlling the hardware synths on my setup, mainly as keyboard and used as a Midi interface bridge from software to hardware. It's pretty responsive.

If however the soundcard has world clock built into it, I'm pretty sure it's better to use that as Midi Bridge, 'cause it simply won't drift out of time as easily. Truth of the matter is: those drifts are only noticeable if you have it playing for long. If you're like me and record only some bars at a time, so you can tweak away while recording, then you'll be fine.

Let me know how all of that goes
Old 08.06.2013, 08:39 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Also, search within the automap app for other options. I think it works with different stuff for different things: for example, there's a thing there called "automap hub" which is their own hay of handling midi info for software, through the automap app, then there's rather more conventional midi also. I think this last part is pretty much reserved for the user button and templates you build. They thought this out primarly for hardware's direct control, with the templates you can build with the editor, but not only that. I have the little nocturn and use it to control traktor, the dj software from Native Instruments sometimes at home, so that isn't really compatible with standard automap and I had to set a template for it that's saved in the user templates. By pressing user I can choose my traktor template any given time.

The extra convenience of using usb to connect it, like I said, is that you get to choose from controlling software or hardware by simply pressing the "automap" button on the controller, instead of having to plug in and out cabbles for each, which is a time saver and much more convenient.

But I think you'd be happy to, say, select two of your synthesizers to receive info from the computer, to play notes you have written there (either using Reaper's writting tools or recorded keyboard action of course) and record the audio outputs of those. If you use the "throughs" on this channels or the devices themselves, you can extend this functionality to all your collection of hardware. You'll probably get more lag the longer the chain goes, I think. But if you happen to have some "delay compensation" feature on Reaper, it can compare the notes timming and the audio and correct this automatically for you.

If however this becomes an issue, I think a simple and cheap midi bridge device with some clock inside it (the remote can send clock info, granted!! another useful thing for hardware people) would allow you to sync everything up. But don't take my word for it, my collection of hardware isn't anywhere as big as yours. I know for a fact that RME has very good clocks, but again, this is quite expensive stuff...
Old 08.06.2013, 11:40 PM
Pro
Pro

Thanks a lot! Actually, a Waldorf Q user created a custom template for the Waldorf Q (not Automap), and is supposed to be comprehensive and that's exciting.
New audio interface has word clock but it's only word clock out (but do not quote me on that as have not gone that far down rabbit hole), and know the Q has ability to send/rec'v midi clock/sync especially with it's poly sequencer and arp that's almost a sequencer, and the XT has a versatile arp and syncing.

I will be sure to ask for advice only after I have reached a point beyond a lot of reading, doing/failing, learning from it, do it again, et al!!! One thing for sure, could not be doing anything more mentally, emotionally healthier in my disabled military veteran state of being, now retired and doing what is incredibly enjoyable . (not to mention am still working on my first authored book)
So, to remain on-topic, I love to learn and am quite tenacious, no matter how daunting the task of learning deeper functions of the Remote SL61MKII. Someone on the Waldorf List has written a vst editor to go even deeper in the Microwave XT and I remember he mentioned he had made a template for the Remote for XT as well....he works for Google and he had seen my question posted to Waldorf List seeking where I could buy exact replacement red and three black knobs for my XT...he actually had brand new ones still in a bag and would not accept anything for them, mailing what I needed. The controllers for our instruments, whether soft synths or hardware are very individualized in how each individual views intuitiveness that just works for each. I am finding that there's some really cool people in the music community. (there's also for instance on the unofficial DSI forum, some rather CRAPtastic personalities akin to a prickly pear cactus)

Anyway, thanks for the tip on using the USB connection on the Remote regardless of using hardware. I just think Novation could do a better job and be more thorough in the manual and answer base. Groove3 has a tutorial ONLY on the Novation's newest controller, the Impulse Why do they feel the need to pump-out yet another controller series whilst still selling the newer Remote MKII? Do you find it odd having that totally unused second long blue screen on far right side of the Remote MKII? If I recall, the first version of the Remote actually utilized BOTH screens and it seems it sure would be handy in even showing the next or preceding mapped page there akin to the same way when setting up multi-mapped key-zones on keyboard that overlap each other as needed?!!!
Anyone know why that second screen is unused, let alone there? Then again, save from my DSI Mono Evolver Keyboards being an extremely cool and somewhat bright light show, the Remote SL61 MKII probably does not NEED anymore LEDs, but have to admit, I think those lit rings around knobs contribute to studio looking a bit like an alien spaceship cockpit...then you switch on the virus KC...man, I love that deep red Is the Indigo a really deep blue or bright and blue?
Old 11.06.2013, 04:54 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Since we're (finally) considering cockpit complementing looks as being an important feature for our gear - no matter how much we rationalize it, it's simply the ultimate truth - those of us who own the SL have to admit we got a little bit frustrated seeing that our X/Y pad could just as well be round shaped for holding a glass of wine (at least we'd use it for something) and that the mid range keyboard has better looks for alien exploration. I think they've clearly borrowed some ideas from their launchpad and went for a combo with this thing: the new pads are responsive even for people who don't hit them with hammers, they have light coding which is great for live usage of Live and two wheels illuminated - like the UltraNova synthesizer. Considering we don't really use the pads (unless for on/off like buttons on software stuff and Live), we don't use the x/y either even for placing a glass of wine (even though maybe there's some square shaped glasses that will fit in there. for more information on this subject search the novation's user forum)... If I was to buy one today, I'd probably go for that thing except, of course, for the midi functionality. The only aspect where the SL is still the king to be dethroned. This new one from them, LaunchKey (the name confirms that our alien travel aspirations have been heard by Novation, making Access probably the brand that reads this forum the less, probably, but we're getting somewhere here for sure...) kind of confirms their new tendency for dedicating their products to generic midi usage, specially controlling software, and nowadays, most specially Ableton Live - that's been gaining momentum for a while now and is probably the biggest growing market for dedicated controllers at the moment.

So, what do they have to say for people like Rob, here, that has invested in creating a huge collection of alien artifacts for dissecting the hidden frequencies from parallel dimensions? Not much, the midi functionality is (still) there in the SL, even though it's clearly not their main focus - and the manual bears witness to this promptly. If we think about it, the whole market seems to be with one foot on completely inside the box stuff, or weird controllers for software and on the other we have the analogue nostalgia with the new spring of analogue mono synthesizers hitting the market.

Ok... Not bad. But, why do I feel like there should be controllers made with synthesizer fanatics in mind: with great knobs (I do mean great), layouts that remind us of the best and most tweakable beasts and, perhaps, innovative performance features like those present in this little devices we talked about here. Plus, of course, great Midi connectivity with ease of use in mind - and the glass holder with the right shape the next time, please. If it works like that, it could be replaced by a toaster to, I mean, we need our cheese sandwiches while we're listening to those mad sounds we just did in loop, right? More so then we need to press this thing like we're killing an ant on the garden table (and would we need to press it this much for that? nope!). so... midi controllers need to get better, we enjoy the flashing lights, it makes our rooms look cool for sure, gives a new meaning to our electricity bills and all of that...
Old 12.06.2013, 09:58 PM
This forum member lives here

Not sure if I'm reading the above right (you might have meant something different), but if considering the Ultranova as a primary MIDI controller, I'd say it's not the best candidate, it does have aftertouch but its not a Fatar key bed like the Remote SL MKII (I don't think the Impulse or Launchkey lines are either for that matter). Feel underneath the keys of both and you'll see what I mean, the MKII has solid keys and boards like the Ultranova or even my old Remote SL are hollow underneath.
Old 13.06.2013, 12:35 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I wasn't being serious with my last post! But that's interesting: always thought Novation would use their best quality keyboard on the Nova, since it's their most expensive product in the market.
Old 13.06.2013, 03:24 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBTC View Post
Not sure if I'm reading the above right (you might have meant something different), but if considering the Ultranova as a primary MIDI controller, I'd say it's not the best candidate, it does have aftertouch but its not a Fatar key bed like the Remote SL MKII (I don't think the Impulse or Launchkey lines are either for that matter). Feel underneath the keys of both and you'll see what I mean, the MKII has solid keys and boards like the Ultranova or even my old Remote SL are hollow underneath.
yeah, you are right, the keys on MKII are solid underside. It baffles my brain that manufacturers of either midi controllers or all out synths, with no consistency whatsoever, will at times cheap-out and slap CRAPtastic keys on an otherwise interesting and unique synth! *Almost* anything I have with keys have after touch, which also usually means one of the better/best FATAR keys are utilized! The Novation Remote SL61 MKII was my choice because of overall features, being able to even program own templates in midi/sysex/NRPN/Hex...and after touch was my main prerequisite and the fact it also has two hardware midi out ports AND USB, etc. made me easily forgive the incredibly CRAPtastic and useless X/Y touch pad.

The only thing that came even close and I had to thoroughly check it out before making decision on admittedly, expensive MKII 61 controller was another in same price bracket, the M-Audio Axiom Pro. It's very nice but because at the time, before AVID recently dumped M-Audio line to die where Akai, , and Alesis are now, is rather than Automap, it had Hypercontrol, which AVID saw fit to make that more or less proprietary to THEIR products and when it along with all else "pro-sumer products" were dumped from AVID, there's not really much support and so glad I did not make THAT choice because I already got stung by AVID with the first audio interface, Fast Track C600, which was not cheap, was still under warranty, made pop sounds erratically, and get this, to this day on AVID's website under downloads and support for that interface, they actually have it posted the pops and output problems are a KNOWN hardware issue that cannot be repaired via software update!!!! Yes, I tried to return it and get money back but AVID refused to give RMA for it and their email to me stated "We recommend you try one of our other interfaces instead....", and it really made me have a really bad taste in mouth for that incredibly sh***y lack of customer service to their "pro-sumer base"!!! It's not worth even taking legal action of any kind in the $399. that cost me and when you look at Better Business Bureau remarks and score, they had a lot of disgruntled complaints very similar to mine, yet still have an outstanding freaking score with them
Rant over....sorry, the word AVID is like the code word for a military German Shepherd Attack Dog to go all teethe on someone when I think of them!!! Ehh! FYI--there's quite a few ex-Pro Tools users in the Reaper Community and Forum.
Anyway, there's quite a few custom Templates people have made for the MKII Controller and are posted for download on Novation's support and downloads for it and my Waldorf Q rack synth is also listed so even though it has quite a few dedicated knobs on it, ALOT require you to hit the edit button in each section of signal flow to dive deeper and the Template allows one to do all that from the SL MKII. There's many others and lots of software synths as well and people constantly adding new submissions to Novation and that makes me happy.
I have read where their newer Impulse Line of controllers do NOT have as nice of keys as the SL MKII, it's just strange for a company to release a newer line while a former, more feature rich and still sold, more expensive controller is on market, to me at least. But then again, Focusrite has totally revamped their Scarlett line all except the 2i2.

I enjoyed Tweakhead's sardonic post very much!
Old 13.06.2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweakHead View Post
I wasn't being serious with my last post! But that's interesting: always thought Novation would use their best quality keyboard on the Nova, since it's their most expensive product in the market.
With a synth like the UltraNova, product direction can go one of a only a couple of different ways:
....they could add in more features like 61-key Fatar keybed, multi-timbral support, maybe a second DSP, FM synthesis, and other items so that it competes head on with Virus, Nord etc, but at that point they have created something that would probably need to cost at least $1800-2200 on the street.
But at that price point they are kind of competing with the legendary Virus when folks go to choose a primary synth (okay some folks would say the "Nova" name is brandworthy enough to compete, but it would still be a risky move). In other words, for today's typical electronic musician, we tend to have a couple of HW synths that matter and do everything else with soft-synths. Most folks do not line their walls with 76-key keyboards the way we did not too long ago. We tend to look for one primary synth that can act as master controller that has enough keys and the control options we need, then everything else is mostly a rack module.
So, I think the product thinking was that the UltraNova is probably not going to replace everyone's primary controller, so its better to increase sales by keeping the price low. And, since probably nobody (or few) are going to use 37-keys as a primary controller, why put a lot of money into the keys?

I'm sure if they saw huge demand for a 61-key UltraNova they could accommodate, but the thing is that if you want to control the UltraNova with a 61 Fatar keys, you can just add the MKII to control the UN like a rack module and put the UN out of reach if you wanted.

Although, and this is on my list of experimentation items, I do not yet know if I can control the touch-knobs on the UltraNova in real-time using the touch-knobs on the MKII. I know it's fully possible hardware-wise, and it should be seamless, but I just don't know if Automap supports it. On the Ultranova touching a knob means "modulate in real-time", while on the MKII its more about just revealing the parameter that knob controls.
Old 13.06.2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
Anyway, there's quite a few custom Templates people have made for the MKII Controller and are posted for download on Novation's support and downloads for it and my Waldorf Q rack synth is also listed so even though it has quite a few dedicated knobs on it, ALOT require you to hit the edit button in each section of signal flow to dive deeper and the Template allows one to do all that from the SL MKII. There's many others and lots of software synths as well and people constantly adding new submissions to Novation and that makes me happy.
In my initial search for a MIDI controller and my initial motive for starting this thread, at first I felt a little gutted by the lack of feasible choices out there, everything kept bringing me back to Novation. However, I think the consolidation that's occurred in the industry is sometimes a good thing. Lots of people are using this board, which tends to lead to a longer product lifecycle, better community support, and lots of pioneering people out there that will find software or firmware bugs before I do
Old 13.06.2013, 05:12 PM
Pro
Pro