Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 11.07.2006, 02:12 PM

Default microphones for measurements

Hi,

I'm looking for some microphones for measurements. Can you give me list of some good ones? It interests me in all different price clases.

Cheers,
mas
Old 11.07.2006, 07:03 PM
This forum member lives here

Send a message via MSN to Khazul

I was using a Behinrger ECM8000 - cant tell you if it is good or not however - all I can say is either it or the device it was plugged into seemed to have differing opinions on what the actual mic sensitivity was so it was about 10dB down on the measurements for SPL compared to a proper SPL meter.

Ive used it for room accoustic balancing as well - same issue - one or the other got it wrong IMHO - cant tell which of course...
Old 11.07.2006, 08:07 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

for acoustic messurements any simple Omni mic will do ,no need to spend big money here... go with the behringer one or look at your local radio shack.
Old 12.07.2006, 03:58 AM

Proper mics for (accurate) measurements are extremely expensive. What purposes are you looking at?

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 12.07.2006, 01:22 PM

I already wrote some months ago that I wanna measure the transient response of different microphones. I'd need it to have a reference to comapre the result with other ones.

I'd be still interested in all kind of informations, works and measurements in case of this topic.

I've already heard many times from that Behringer Mic. It's just that I can't believe that it is as good as a expensive one. but slowly but surly I'm starting to believe in what I heard.

cheers,
Old 12.07.2006, 07:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

"I wanna measure the transient response of different microphones"

Just curoius,what is it for?
Old 13.07.2006, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas
I've already heard many times from that Behringer Mic. It's just that I can't believe that it is as good as a expensive one. but slowly but surly I'm starting to believe in what I heard.
You've got to be kidding! Behrenger make absolute crap...

Even AKG, Shure etc pale in quality when compared to something from the likes of DPA, Schoeps etc

And believe me, mics that are specifically for testing cost thousands!

There is a huge difference between a $50 Behringer mic and a $3000 Schoeps mic. I have heard these top of the range beauties, and there is no comparison.

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 13.07.2006, 10:39 AM

jase: cheers that you confirm my opinion about behringer but today an audio engineer told me that he spoke with many people who makes acoustic measurements and they told him that they use that Behringer one as well and that he would also use that one. ok, of course my problem is that I don't have thousends of bugs for a mic.

acutally I'm pretty confused because would be the first time that Behringer produces something good.

Tomer=Trance: I have to write a sientific essay for my studies and this topic interests me because nobody the manufacturers publish some thing about this measurments. I even read quiet a lot that it's very important for the characteristic of the sound.