Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 07.08.2004, 10:14 PM
New here
New here

Default Virus- the first step for a whole setup?

Hi guys (I'll introduce myself properly in the newbie forum..)

I'm looking to build the first block in a whole new setup- I'm only a student so don't have a proper studio of my own- that will come when I've got my own place (hopefully in 18 months of so).

I had been looking at the Novation KS5 but on reflection I fugured that "if you're going to do something, do it properly". There's no denying that the Access is an absolute belter of a synth, I've heard enough demos and tracks from it to know it will do what I ask of it.

So, is a Virus C a good first step? I'm not so much interesting in making full tracks at this stage, but certainly will do further down the line. I want to get into synthesis and get a 'feel' for the whole process.

My current keyboard (Roland EM-20) is 5 years old and I think I've played every note with every patch about 20 times over! Time for a change!
Old 08.08.2004, 06:51 AM
This forum member lives here

I think that the Virus C will be a very good investment indeed!

Each synth has it's own "sound", for example the virus seems very "hard", and the Nord a touch "softer", and then say the Supernova softer still......But each has its own areas where they will excell compared to the others.

You should go and try one out, and some others, before you buy. Reviews etc can only tell you so much, you need to hear the Virus for yourself to find out if it is really the synth for you.

Another good thing about getting the virus is that you can talk to us here at Sunesha unoficial virus forum......We are all very cool people, except for HC who likes lady boys!

Good luck,

Jason
Old 08.08.2004, 09:47 AM
Pro
Pro

My first synth was a Virus C desktop and a bog standard MIDI keyboard. That was a year and a half ago and looking back I think I made the best choice for me - and I looked into a load of other synths for months before deciding (Waldorf Q, Supernova 2, Nord e.t.c.). I went for the Virus because of it's versatility and the fact I liked it's dark, moody sound.

I found it took me a little time finding my way through the menus on the Virus and knowing where to find certain functions, but once you've cracked that, you're laughing. I say if you like the Virus sound, go for it and do a lot of reading up about synthesis, also, forums like these are a great help.
Old 08.08.2004, 12:03 PM
Administrator

I reckon the Virus is excellent for part 'backbone' of a setup. ...Meaning, although the Virus is very good indeed, I don't reckon you could rely on the Virus for all your sonic needs.

In addition to the Virus, maybe add a rompler to that (ie. Triton/Motif/Fantom, or a VSTi of the same/equivalent nature, etc.) so that you can add more general instrumental sounds, such as piano and other multi-samples of 'real' instruments, and most definately add a sampler of some sort (hardware or software) for your sampling and drum requirements, and possibly maybe another virtual analogue variant (hardware or software), eventually, for a more diverse and complimentary analogue/synthesis sound that sits well alongside the Virus.

If you want to add real instruments (like vocals, guitar, etc.) then you'd also need a mic or two, and a pre-amp to go with it (via either a dedicated pre-amp hardware unit, an external mixer, or occasionally via a pre-amp input on a soundcard).

Depending on whether you either take the software or hardware route (or even a mixture of both), if you then have a number of hardware units, you might then need a mixer for routing signals to and from sources (including outboard effects and processing, and the like, should you so wish) and/or a multi-input soundcard to mix and record multiple sound sources at any one time, and you might need a 2in/2out or 4in/4out MIDI interface to control your synths/sampler at any one time. It depends on what direction (software OR hardware) or blend (software AND hardware) you wish to take.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Timo
Old 08.08.2004, 05:12 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag
My first synth was a Virus C desktop and a bog standard MIDI keyboard. That was a year and a half ago and looking back I think I made the best choice for me - and I looked into a load of other synths for months before deciding (Waldorf Q, Supernova 2, Nord e.t.c.). I went for the Virus because of it's versatility and the fact I liked it's dark, moody sound.
So it is worthwhile getting a Virus C + MIDI Keyboard rather than a KC, by that I mean will you get more for your money in terms of keyboard quality?

I'm not really clued up about MIDI interfacing, to be honest, I've worked on computers and keyboards, but never with both connected!!
Old 08.08.2004, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
So it is worthwhile getting a Virus C + MIDI Keyboard rather than a KC, by that I mean will you get more for your money in terms of keyboard quality?
Virus kC has an excellent keyboard. Get kC if you don't need 76 or 88 keyboard.

Quote:
I'm not really clued up about MIDI interfacing, to be honest, I've worked on computers and keyboards, but never with both connected!!
It's nothing special. MIDI is just a control signal that controls your equipment and/or software.
Old 08.08.2004, 09:29 PM
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt

Getting the Virus C desktop and a MIDI keyboard was the best choice for me as I'm into producing sitting at a PC and samplers - studio stuff basically. I can give the MIDI keyboard some proper punishment as it's cheap and if the keys brake it's going to be easy to replace. I'd go for the KC if I was gigging though - more compact. My VC cost ?950 new and the Edirol MIDI controller ?60, so I suppose it's marginally cheaper than the KC.
Old 08.08.2004, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smag
I can give the MIDI keyboard some proper punishment as it's cheap and if the keys brake it's going to be easy to replace.
I think that there is no keyboardist on this planet that could break kC keys by playing. Investing in kC is investing in quality. One kC comes cheaper than one C and four broken cheap controllers. It's a known fact that cheap isn't cheap on a long run. Cheap stuff tend to break down from time to time. There one thing that you shouldn't get cheap and that's a keyboard. Keyboard is the part of your setup that gets all the stress and if the keyboard is a crancky piece of plastic it won't last. So get kC or a C with good controller. It won't get cheap now, but it will be cheap in the future.

Edit: And don't forget that cheap controllers are awful to play. The touch is just crap. All the time you have to be afraid that you press too hard and break something. Like my Alesis QS7 had extremely bad keyboard. It was really cheap. When you played it you could hear cracking sounds and it's really not a suprise that after a year one key broke down. On the other hand my Virus kB was very solid and getting out cracking sounds from the keys would have required a large hammer. So I'd advice to invest in quality. It really comes cheaper in the end and it's more enjoyable to play.
Old 08.08.2004, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
We are all very cool people, except for HC who likes lady boys!
Hehehe, thanks Jase! Now you are really getting into the forum spirit. I owe you one now - remember that and don't get upset when it goes down. Hehehe.

I think the VC is a nice choice for the backbone of a studio, but I do aggree with Timo as in the Virus isn't enough for everything.

Also if you haven't done much synth programming before, be prepared for quite a steep learning curve. We are here to help with all that stuff anyways.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 08.08.2004, 11:39 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum

Honestly, the Virus C is a piece of cake to program. To begin with every parameter u need to make traditional analog sounds are accesible via the front panel knob's and buttons. Your need for menue work will be absolutely minimal. As you become more proficient and your desire to really experiment takes over.....the edit menues will alow u to really get underneath the bonnet.

I think from a pure programming & playing point of view the KC is currenlty the. If you need to save a little money....then the desktop + midi controller would be a great option. But I'd stay clear of any rack versions.....since u want to 'get into' the programming process.

Like you matt, im not too interested in song writing (my moment of fame will come after university!)....but im a total bloody synth nerd/geek....what ever u want to call it...its me! Im so into programming that I live and breath frequencies. The Virus is a good all rounder of a synth.....and within a year of owning one....and keeping in touch with the likes of HC, Juho, and me and everyone here!!!! you'll become proficient pretty quickly.

You'll have no problems......we are a very friendly/inbred bunch of people here lol

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....