Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > General discussion about Access Virus

General discussion about Access Virus Discussion about Virus A, B, C and TI.

Old 28.11.2008, 06:39 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Default Virus TI - early puzzlements

I have had my TI for a few weeks now and really enjoying the discovery. Still excited about the pulsing logo

Just a few initial queries, if I may:

ARP patterns - it seems the 64 presets are not visible in the VirusControl grid in the same way that User patterns are. Seems a shame you can't take them and edit them. Are they in fact non-editable?

Spare ROM banks - can't write to them by normal means, so this seems to mean that saving new patches onto the Virus has to be in the few remaining RAM patches at the end of the preset list, and after that it's hack away unwanted presets and replace them with my own. Am I missing something here?

In the display, each patch has a little symbol like [||| ] or [|||||]. Wazzat?

Suzzy
Old 28.11.2008, 10:39 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hey Suz! =]

Unsure about some queries as I currently only have an older Virus, but!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzymackenzie View Post
In the display, each patch has a little symbol like [||| ] or [|||||]. Wazzat?
It's a meter that roughly indicates how DSP intensive (complex) the overall patch is, as some oscillator models (complex Graintable and Formant oscillators for example) and other synthesis features require more DSP than others. The higher the complexity, the fewer the voices you will be able to play (polyphony) as it takes more computing to generate those types of sounds.
Old 29.11.2008, 06:02 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Thank you for clearing up the complexity meter, Timo.

Anyone have a comment on the arp pattern editor or patch-management issues?

Suzzy
Old 29.11.2008, 04:34 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

I noticed that on the arp pattern. something for them to think abt on the next upgrade. unless they have already changed it. havent looked since I upgraded.

I am pursuming you mean to see how the arp pattern is set when using a preset then have the option to edit it. just been able to see it would be good cos then you could just recreate it in the custom pattern with the slight changes you want.

would be nice to have some 1 describe the patch thing to cos I have quite a few patches of my own now I want to put in all those empty banks. I havent got round to sussing it out yet though.
Old 30.11.2008, 07:12 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

hi mitchiemasha

Yep, there it is in the manual after all: the arp patterns can only be edited for 'user' pattern. It would be a useful upgrade to be able to see and edit the presets. Already I've found one or two of the presets just right for one of my songs *except* for the odd beat I just want to delete or add in by editing what's already there and programmed. Shame.

It does look like the 512 RAM programs are the place to do your patch saving, so perhaps i will go through ditching all the patches I don't want e.g. daft sound effects and clear some banks for saving my own. After all, 512 patches ought to be more than enough. But - continuing mystery - what are all those empty ROM banks for?

So much to discover, although some of the discovering is bound to be the discovery of limitations. This is the natural way of things with music tech, I guess. The early phases are (a) honeymoon period , (b) dip as you discover limitations, then come (c) the joy of workarounds, (d) steady state production, (e) eager anticipation of the next model tinged with regret at the obsolescence of your present one..!

Old 30.11.2008, 11:50 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

I found a micro-niggle in VirusControl - if you use a virtual knob to detune an oscillator, it's impossible to return it to zero position: instead you have to go back to the physical control surface (Virus TI KB in my case) to tweak it back to 0. An elaborate plot to keep synths hardware?...
Old 30.11.2008, 02:23 PM
New here
New here

Quote:
if you use a virtual knob to detune an oscillator, it's impossible to return it to zero position
Many virtual synths allow you to Ctrl+Click a control to set it to a zero-position (or 12 o'clock position for things like detune and balance). I'm using a Snow with Cubase on WindowsXP and the interface seems to accept it.
Old 30.11.2008, 05:26 PM
Semi Pro
Semi-Pro

Send a message via MSN to mitchiemasha

liking that.
Old 01.12.2008, 12:55 AM
Definately caught something...
Complete Newbie

Quote:

Yep, there it is in the manual after all: the arp patterns can only be edited for 'user' pattern. It would be a useful upgrade to be able to see and edit the presets. Already I've found one or two of the presets just right for one of my songs *except* for the odd beat I just want to delete or add in by editing what's already there and programmed. Shame.
Yes, would be cool to be able to customise the arp presets. I want to do this all the time!

Guess it forces you to create an original pattern every time.

Hopefully they include this in an updrade very soon in the future.

Quote:

It does look like the 512 RAM programs are the place to do your patch saving, so perhaps i will go through ditching all the patches I don't want e.g. daft sound effects and clear some banks for saving my own. After all, 512 patches ought to be more than enough. But - continuing mystery - what are all those empty ROM banks for?
Not sure you need to go deleting existing patches - you have access using and saving infinite presets and banks through Virus Control.
Old 01.12.2008, 07:24 AM
Knob Junkie
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Not sure you need to go deleting existing patches - you have access using and saving infinite presets and banks through Virus Control.
Crossfire, not sure I understand that. In VirusControl I thought I just had easy visual access to the existing (finite number of) banks and program slots on the hardware. Am I missing something?