Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 10.10.2005, 09:25 AM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Default What're your thoughts on a Nord Lead 2?

I've got around ?450 and i am tempted to get one of these seconds hand- unless anyone reckons I can do better?

I've had a play about on one and think it's pretty cooooooooool.

What do ya think, Hot or Not?
Old 10.10.2005, 09:36 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Hey Dugmac,

You might wat to IM Hollowcell.

I am pretty sure he is a happy Nord Lead owner as well as a synth expert.

I'd be interested to hear his two bits about that board if I were in a position to buy one...

...I'm actually saving for a Motif as I have no ROMpler yet!

Cheers!

-Alex
Old 10.10.2005, 09:38 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Its great, buy this one from me with added RAM card:

http://www.sunesha.nu/virusforum/viewtopic.php?t=4188

Old 10.10.2005, 11:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

its realy nice as a controler keyboard aswell.
Old 10.10.2005, 02:24 PM

Here's my take on the Nord 2. HC can probably expand on this as he's had alot more hands on experience.

First of all, the Nord 2 has 'modern classic' status due to a number of factors. Since about 1997 they appeared along side Korg Tritons on countless videos and live performances. By far the most visually depicted synth of the past 10 years. So from a point of view of future collectibility....it'd be a good buy because you'll always find people who want to own a 'classic synth of the day'. Secondly, the Nord 2 sounds quite different to most other VA's in that it sounds bright, crisp and relatively cutting. Most virtual analogs and softsynths have a kind of muddiness to their tone (especially when making pad sounds)....the Nord 2 doesnt have this. Programability is straightforward albeit slightly illogical. Personally I prefer the filter section at the top...whereas on the Nord 2 its at the bottom. Despite this, there is no menue hoping (unless your setting up midi) and this makes it a breeze to get into.

Sound engine: As already mentioned, it has a unique-ish tone. From a programming perspective its slightly more advanced than a Prophet 5 and Jupiter 8 (old analog classics)....however, its not nearly as versatile as most current VA synths. Is this a problem? No, of course not. The Nord 2 can cover 95% of analog type sound creation fine. The real question is whether you think its a wise decision to add yet another VA to your arsenal....or whether a true analog would be better? Bang for buck then the Nord 2 wins....but if your wanting to add something different to your music...then id consider: Juno 60, Polysix, DW8000, JX10, M1, Wavestation, JD800 or perhaps a DX7MKIIFD

Its a tough one to call.....but from a musical perpesctive youd benefit more from have a wide variety as opposed to yet another instrument that does more or less the same thing...but in a different flavour.

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 10.10.2005, 02:28 PM

Perhaps you could tell us what synths you already own. Im quite opinionated when it comes to synths....and whilst you may not agree or like it....I'll be honest...

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 10.10.2005, 08:46 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

hey guys, thanks very much for the replies!

yeah I agree with a lot of the things being said. I'm really tempted because I think the sound is spot on for the type of music I'm wanting to make, being really crisp and clean.

At the moment my virus c is too big a part of any tracks I'm writing so I'm wanting something that will sound different to, or complement it.

I'm using a korg prophecy at the moment as my controller keyboard, but I'm ashamed to say that's all I use it for?! It wasn't 'til recently (through someone on this board) that I got the manual for it and never got so happy with it that I could use it as intuitively and quickly as the virus.

I kind of feel like I couldn't live without being able to save patches to my sequencer or automate filters etc, so I'm not sure I would wanna go for an analogue synth yet.

There has been some pretty high praise from everyone I ask so far so I'm about 90% sure I'm gonna get it now.
Old 10.10.2005, 08:49 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvisibl
Its great, buy this one from me with added RAM card:
where are you based, and how much would you want?

I'm in London and have found one localy that I can pick up for ?400? That's withought the RAM card which would be pretty cool though because the memory does seem pretty minimal.
Old 10.10.2005, 09:02 PM

Dug....from your pic....do I take it ur into 80's films?

DS

Old 10.10.2005, 10:17 PM
Very mucho Newbie
Very mucho Newbie

hehe, yeah i guess. I'm 24 so grew up with these classics.

I take it you're a fan?

i was thinking about getting a copy of Big Trouble In Little China, I haven't seen that one for a good few years!