Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > General discussion > Studio equipment

Studio equipment An area for general discussion about studio equipment, excluding Access products which have a dedicated area.

Old 26.05.2005, 07:56 PM
This forum member lives here

Default BOSS DR880 drum machine.....

Anyone here used one or know anything about them? Im thinking of picking one up.

http://www.rolandus.com/Multimedia/Flash/dr880/

Cheers

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 01.06.2005, 06:04 AM

Damn, i cant believe none of you guys havent ever used a Boss drum machine before! Come on....tell Screamsy what they're like!!!

DS

The SynthWizard has some advice - Back in the 1980's music was better, TV was better, films were better. Not to mention fashion.... Let me help you relive the past with some classic 80's sounds from my vintage synth collection....
Old 01.06.2005, 12:45 PM

I dont have any experience with outboard drum modules......sorry mate.

A friend did have one of those MPC jobbies.....and that looked pretty cool. but a different thing to what youre looking at.

Im picking up an AKAI MPD-16 (MIDI drum/pad triggers) so I can tap out rhythms instead of clicking them in with a mouse. YAY!

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 01.06.2005, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Jase wrote:
Im picking up an AKAI MPD-16 (MIDI drum/pad triggers) so I can tap out rhythms instead of clicking them in with a mouse. YAY!
Also check out the M-Audio Trigger Finger as it is $50 less and has a few more controls.

Also, the MPD-16 was notoriously out of stock last year here in the U.S. but I have no idea of its availability abroad.

I am getting one or the other in a month or two as I HATE DRUMMING FROM A KEYBOARD OR A MOUSE!!!
ESTP/7w8/Type-A Hostile
Old 01.06.2005, 11:28 PM
Pro
Pro

I 've looked at a Boss 880 to liven up my percussion. From people I've spoken to, it has a shitty build with plastic buttons but the sounds are meant to be very good. Lots of acoustic stuff going on - big snares e.t.c, with a few electronic sets thrown in, most people say you'd be better off with samples though. For the money you could get NI Battery and say Scarbee Imperial drums or Drumkit from hell and you won't have an extra module / cables to worry about.

BTW, on the Boss website they say "equipment for jamming and practice" which doesn't really inspire much confidence, why don't they just say "modules to fuck about with".
Old 02.06.2005, 07:55 AM

I think the Boss880 will suit my needs for the time being.......after uni I'd like to pick up a Machinedrum as my primary source....

Cheers for the heads up...

DS

Old 02.06.2005, 08:20 AM

DIdgy,
I am with you. My next purchase will definitely be a machinedrum. I cant wait to get my hands on one.
Old 02.06.2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexHall74
Also check out the M-Audio Trigger Finger as it is $50 less and has a few more controls.
Well.....I have a source here and Im getting the MPD-16 for free Actually it is kinda payment for a recording I did with this fella.

Quote:
Also, the MPD-16 was notoriously out of stock last year here in the U.S. but I have no idea of its availability abroad.
Ya.....Same thing here in Australia, but I am told it will be in stock in a couple weeks.

Quote:
I am getting one or the other in a month or two as I HATE DRUMMING FROM A KEYBOARD OR A MOUSE!!!
I feel ya mate......I will give you a comprehensive review once mine arrives.

Cheers,

Jase

G5, Cubase SX, Reason 2.5, Acess Virus RackXL, Yamaha Motif Rack, Yamaha CS-10, Roland D-50, Korg X5D, Korg Electribe ER-1mkII, HALion VST Sampler, MOTU 2408mkIII, Studer 169, Roland JUNO 60
Old 04.06.2005, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
I feel ya mate......Cheers, Jase
Well well well.......

DS

Old 04.06.2005, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGITAL SCREAMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasedee
I feel ya mate......Cheers, Jase
Well well well.......

DS
??? Ex-Squeeze me....Baking Powder