Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 22.04.2004, 07:59 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Default annoying fogginess

How can I defeat the fogginess of a sound in the virus? Many of the presets and my own sounds have this quite annoying character. Even if the filters are wide open, some patches still sound very foggy. I make bright lead, bass and pad sounds with the virus for trance music mostly, and I can?t stand that some of the pathes sound as they sound no matter how I tweak them. I have so many great patches waiting for the final polish. I just can?t do anything about it. I?ve tried everything. Some help here please.
Old 22.04.2004, 08:45 AM
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe you could try using some cotton buds?
Old 22.04.2004, 08:52 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Old 22.04.2004, 09:00 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

Send a message via MSN to Machinegunjoe
Default Re: annoying fogginess

Quote:
Originally Posted by unio mystica
How can I defeat the fogginess of a sound in the virus? Many of the presets and my own sounds have this quite annoying character. Even if the filters are wide open, some patches still sound very foggy. I make bright lead, bass and pad sounds with the virus for trance music mostly, and I can?t stand that some of the pathes sound as they sound no matter how I tweak them. I have so many great patches waiting for the final polish. I just can?t do anything about it. I?ve tried everything. Some help here please.
I totally agree, thats prob the biggest reason i prefer the nords over the Virus. Although that diffuse sound can fit quite good in a mix sometimes.
Old 22.04.2004, 09:46 AM
Veteran
Veteran

what i do is drop the bass some in the eq, or at some noise, or u can use an exteranl eq and/or compressor...external reverb/delay...but i do know what u mean...it sounds almost like it have too much mid to low band on it...u have to fix that with external stuff...

peace
Blank
Old 22.04.2004, 10:30 AM
Almost Amateur
Almost Amateur

But how can I do it inside the virus? I don?t like to use much of external gear. It gets too complicated. I use EQ and compression only when mixing down.
The problem is that some of my patches (and presets too) sound wonderfully bright and clean but some other have this "foggy" kind of sound. They would sound as good as the others without the "fogginess". No matter how I tweak them they still don?t sound bright enough. If I like some patch a lot It?s a shame that it?s useless for me only because It doesn?t sound bright. Is the problem in the filter settings or something like that?
I have been wondering why this topic hasn?t been here allready because I think others have this problem too. Some of the greatest patch collections from the Access website have these kind of patches too. Haven?t you notised??? Some patches sound awsom and bright but others don?t eventhou the filters are open.
Old 22.04.2004, 11:18 AM
Veteran
Veteran

How about you post a couple of these patches so we can take a look? Or maybe you could name a couple of the presets to which you referred? It's difficult to come up with any meaningful remedies without specific examples.
Old 22.04.2004, 05:36 PM
Veteran
Veteran

Ben is right i was going to say the same thing...but i have a feeling already that this is most likely not a hardware problem but rather a taste problem...i have a feeling that u r looking for a specific sound and when u make a sound if it doesnt sound like the patch u were looking for your ear doesnt like it...because i remember going through the same problem when i started really getting use to the virus...So i personally think it is more of an ear preference...

peace
Blank
Old 22.04.2004, 06:21 PM
Amateur
Amateur

Yeah man! I know what you mean! .... Though im a total nightmare for getting a patch to sound the way i like it!.. I love my Virus to bits but the longer I work on a part the more I hate it and start noticing bits of detail none else seems to notice!! I dont think it is a virus issue like the others said i think its down to your ears and taste!!!

The Virus to me can sound extremly "foggy" or even "bitty" sort of to much "gritt" and not a lot of "fullness" to it, sounds like its being used to its limits and stretched to it last bit of power!!!!.............. Though grittyness is very very very nice at times! Some times I look for a fuller sound that I can not find some times with in the Virus (very noticeable with Pads!!) Thats one of the reasons im getting a Nord!

Do you mean patches you have programmed or standard patches mate?
Old 22.04.2004, 06:41 PM
This forum member lives here
This forum member lives here

Send a message via ICQ to Tomer=Trance Send a message via MSN to Tomer=Trance

you could always layer couple of synths