Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 22.04.2004, 07:14 PM
Amateur
Amateur

I always layer my synths!
Old 23.04.2004, 05:33 AM
This forum member lives here

Please post a few examples.

I think you may be refering to the general tone fo the Virus though.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/hollowcell.htm
HCs and JCs colab project at
http://www.myspace.com/rhythmusimblut
Old 23.04.2004, 07:07 AM

I think what you are talking about here is CLARITY or perhaps a slight lack of. This is a relatively common characteristic of VA synths from around the late 90's. It is NOT a problem with the synth....it is more of a taste issue. I think most people who use the Virus and JP8000 probably recognise the 'fact' that the sound can get pretty muddy at times (True analogs dont tend to suffer from this as much). The Nords and Waldorfs dont suffer quite as much....and generally have a fresher/clearer/transparent presentation.

In recent days Ive had a revelation (you guys prob do this anyway!). Ive come to realise that I dont need to apply unison all the time (I tend to use it on leads, fx and bass). But for pads........ you will obtain greater clarity if you use 2 oscilators and NO unison. Extra 'movement' and 'fatness' can be easily obtained using subtle chorus/phaser. You should begin to notice more clarity in your sounds if you do this. One last point. If clarity is what you need....then check out late 80's/ early 90's digital synths such as the Roland JD800. Roland D50 and KOrg Wavestation ( www.vintagesynth.com ). These synths use a different technology and are famous for their transparent clarity (perfect for pads). Wanna hear a Korg Wavestation pad? Check this http://www.clavia.se/MP3s/MP3%20files/alien2ed.mp3 out.......f*&%king classic digital sound!

The demo was made using....

"The instruments used on the song include my Nord Lead, Korg Wavestation, Sequential Circuits Prophet 600, and AKAI S3000XL. Without a doubt the Nord played the most vital role in the song. I programmed the bass sound on the Nord. The bass is what drives the song, and what great bass sounds you can make with that thing. The next sound I used from the Nord is the arpeggios. I would call that the lead instrument when it kicks in at the end, but it's also throughout the song as a texture. It adds motion and dynamic to the track. The AKAI handled all the drum sounds as well as the voice samples. The Wavestation was the pads and sound fx. And the Prophet played a few texture fx sounds. Here's basic rundown: Nord Lead: Bass and Arpeggios. Wavestation: Pads and FX. Akai: Drums and Voice. Prophet: Textures and FX"

To conclude......*Play* the Virus on its strengths (in my opinion ambient/atmospheric soundscapes) and use other synths where it is weak. No synth is perfect for everything.

DS
Old 23.04.2004, 08:06 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

DS: 404 not found for the demo
Old 23.04.2004, 08:36 AM

OK try again!

I love that pad sound yummy

DS
Old 23.04.2004, 09:52 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Anyone reading this post who dosnt have a virus.. dont be put off! Its just everyone on here has nothing better to do then moan! Including myself!
Old 23.04.2004, 09:53 AM
Amateur
Amateur

Yeah linok dosnt work for me either mate!

Where r u from in the UK DS by the way?
Old 23.04.2004, 11:52 AM

Those 2 links i posted above should definitely be working now!

303 - I live in Guildford, Surrey. Im currently at University there doing psychology. Where abouts u from? Let me guess...up north...prob a brummie way hehe. I'd be regarded a southern pufter b'cos I speak queens english lmao.

*For people who are browsing......like 303 says...dont be put off by 'negative' comments about the Virus. This is an unnofficial access virus user forum........we are professionals and hobbyists. We have bad days and good days...and sometimes we take it out on people or synths. EVERY synth forum has people bitching about synths..... The kinda posts people make are when they have an issue or slight prob. Were're not all going to sit here everyday and write about how good the Access synths are...we know that already!*

Im possibly one of the biggest Virus bitches on here. Ive had some 'problems'....and ive flamed the Virus abit. Ive owned quite a few old analog classics (Jupiter 8, Pro-One, Mono/Poly, Juno 60 etc etc) and was initially critical of the Virus' sound.If VA synths were marketed differently....for example....as a digital synth....then I'd be happier with that. Take the Casio CZ synths......they were digital phase distortion. They had 'analog' waveforms such as saw and triangle...but they werent marketed as Virtual Analog. Despite my bitching.....I still own and enjoy the Virus KC for what it does. The Virus/Indigo synths are able to create amazing tones which are just not possible on a true analog. Thats the most important thing for me.

Hmmm.....maybe we should start a new thread and tell people what we enjoy most about the Virus. That way visitors to the forum can get a fuller perspective from users!

Just one last point.... I was having a conversation with a very prestigious vintage analog dealer in the UK and we were talking about the state of new synths. Like me, he's a little old skool and loves the old analogs....because they all have a very distinctive flavour/tone/sound call it wot u will. Old synths such as the Jupiter 8, Prophet 5 and DX7 are reveered because they were heavily used throughout the 80's. We've had high exposure to those synth sounds.....and we like them. I asked him whether he thinks the Nords and Virus' will be regarded as classics in 15+ years time......and he told me in no uncertain terms...YES. 2 reasons......(1) The Nord and Virus are 2 of the most distinct sounding synths since 1995-present day and (2) They are probably the two most heavily used synths used in music. In 15 years time when we look back to our cheesy trance and techno (I reckon this music will sound better with the passage of time!) those are the synths we will hear.

Hmm its a thought.

DS
Old 23.04.2004, 11:54 AM
Veteran
Veteran

I really dont quite get your guys' words of explaination on sound type...DS im sorry to say analogue synths r muddy...if u pay close attention u will notice...why analogues sound so much more full is because they cloud the sound up with distortion and detuning...and not distortion like guitar distortion...ppl just dont understand that when u play a VA u get the note u play...if u play an analogue u get either a wavering note or a note full with slight overtones...VA's r clean and precise...if the sound is muddy it is because u have shitty convertors...

atleast this is my definition of muddy...this is why i laugh when ppl say that records sound better the cds...because they really dont...its just that your ear is looking for that distortion to fill the gaps of the audio...why do u think pop trance uses noise!!

Peace
Blank

BTW im not trying to start an arguement im just trying to get a better idea of your words and give u mine at the same time....
Old 23.04.2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank
I really dont quite get your guys' words of explaination on sound type...DS im sorry to say analogue synths r muddy...if u pay close attention u will notice...why analogues sound so much more full is because they cloud the sound up with distortion and detuning...and not distortion like guitar distortion...ppl just dont understand that when u play a VA u get the note u play...if u play an analogue u get either a wavering note or a note full with slight overtones...VA's r clean and precise...if the sound is muddy it is because u have shitty convertors...

atleast this is my definition of muddy...this is why i laugh when ppl say that records sound better the cds...because they really dont...its just that your ear is looking for that distortion to fill the gaps of the audio...why do u think pop trance uses noise!!

Peace
Blank

BTW im not trying to start an arguement im just trying to get a better idea of your words and give u mine at the same time....
This is a VERY subjective thing Blank. Records can in fact sound 'better' on a high end turntable. Clarrity is about the same as CD...but with analog records you get a fuller, warmer presentation. The timing is not so tight.....i.e. you get a little less precison with bass, drums and acoustic instruments. But if you are comparing both formats in terms of satisfying enjoyment....most people would choose a high grade valve amp and decent turntable. Im a hi-fi enthusiast.....and thats my opinion.

Regarding analog synths sounding perhaps more muddy than VA.....I'd have to disagree with you there. Im not going to get into a debate with people about this. My friend is buying a Jupiter 8 and Ill be buying a decent analog mono this summer.......so we can do some comparisons if you like.

DS