Access Virus & Virus TI community since 2002 Virus TI Infekted

Go Back   The Unofficial Access Virus & Virus TI Forum - since 2002 > Discussion concerning Access products > Sound designing

Sound designing Discussion about sound designing with the Virus series synths. Share patches and your knowledge or ask questions.

Old 04.05.2004, 12:23 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Rx7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
yeah tomer is right, but for good choir the best thing is to buy a good sample CD like the AKAI Symphony of Voices.
OMG, I just checked this out, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IM LOOKING FOR!!!!!! I have some questions about this, does the cd come in song form or individual files you just load up? And also how does it work getting this onto the synth and using it as a instrument, do you have to invidivually cut the parts you want out with a wave editor??

I will do anything to be able to make these sounds pressing on a keyboard, just tell me how!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
Old 04.05.2004, 07:56 AM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

this is a Spectrasonics CD, it costs 500$ and doesn't come in form of a song, it is in the form of seperate notes you can load into a sampler. Once the samples loaded, you can you use your external keyboard (triton or whatever) to play those notes. Don't get confused here, the sampler is not necessarily built in your synth or workstation, you can use a software sampler on your computer along with you external workstation.

take a look at the cd demo here:
http://www.ilio.com/spectrasonics/sy...ces/index.html
Old 04.05.2004, 09:03 AM
Administrator
This forum member lives here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatembr
Don't get confused here, the sampler is not necessarily built in your synth or workstation, you can use a software sampler on your computer along with you external workstation.
Soft synths are tricky without laptop when played live. Getting a laptop with audiointerface and soft sampler will cost way over 1000?. Not very smart choice in this situation.
Old 04.05.2004, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx7000
Id like to spend around 1000, I am willing to spend 2k if i can get the end all end for the rest of my life thing ill need.
Ok. I think that with 2000 you're able to get an used workstation with sampling and a virtual analog, which would be basicly everything you need. I would find myself Fantom-S and Virus B desktop. Very good set of gear for studio and live performances. When compared to Triton Fantom does have better acoustic sounds in my opinion (incredible piano) but does not have as much lead and synth sounds in its arsenal, but you won't be needing the synth sounds form the workstation when you have a Virus sitting on the workstation.

Quote:
A synth has sample memory, so when you record a live sample and use it, it saps that memory?
Yes. But remember that samplers use RAM. Don't mix it up with ROM. The ROM part contains samples and patches that can't be edited or deleted, RAM is the user memory.

Quote:
But if you have a cd of samples you load onto the synth is that the same thing?
As Hatembr mentioned it's the same thing. The samples from the CD have to be loaded into the sampler memory before they can be used.
Old 04.05.2004, 11:50 AM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

Awsome, I have a sampler in the form of fruity loops, Its not complex but it opend up the world of music (digital, computers, producing) from the world im use to, guitars, bass, drums. Ive been messing with it for about a year and im at the point where the sound quality isnt enough anymore, it works great as a sequencer and sampler, but the patches and software synths just dont cut it anymore. im definetly getting this disk, at least be able to use it therw fruity for now, id like to pick up a triton but im not sure how useful its instrument set will be to me, im gonna try to try one out soon, to be honest im so impressed with the virus that im seriously thinking about just saving up for that. The virus seems to have more hi tech / sci-fi electronica effects with a warm thick lush sound. The triton seems to be just a real instrument emulator, where its electronica type patches dont seem to have the depth or drip the wetness the virus has.

Thanks for your help everybody, seriously, its greatly appreciated and I cant thank you guys enough. Hopefully I pick up a virus one day and can join this great forum =D
Old 04.05.2004, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Awsome, I have a sampler in the form of fruity loops
Are you sure it supports AKAI-format? By the way do you play in a band?

Quote:
The virus seems to have more hi tech / sci-fi electronica effects with a warm thick lush sound. The triton seems to be just a real instrument emulator, where its electronica type patches dont seem to have the depth or drip the wetness the virus has.
And that's the whole point in this thing. Workstation for samplings and Virus for synthetic sounds.

Quote:
Thanks for your help everybody, seriously, its greatly appreciated and I cant thank you guys enough. Hopefully I pick up a virus one day and can join this great forum =D
You're welcome.
Old 04.05.2004, 01:15 PM
Pro
Pro

Send a message via ICQ to hatembr

you're welcome m8! don't hesitate to ask questions!
Old 05.05.2004, 02:24 PM
Complete Newbie
Complete Newbie

[
Not really a band, Its just me and a friend who jam.

Off topic, but does the virus sample in 16k or 24?
Old 05.05.2004, 02:52 PM
Veteran
Veteran

I would just like to add Rotary's kick ass...Man I love the FD...Welcome to the group...nice to meet some1 with similar likes!!

peace
Blank
Old 05.05.2004, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Off topic, but does the virus sample in 16k or 24?
Not kilos. Bits. Virus has 24-bit processing with samplerate of 96kHz (correct me if I'm wrong about the samplerate).